Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an old 110 that's been in the family for a long time. I moved it out of the shed and noticed a puddle of oil on the inside of the right rear rim. Looks like it is coming out where the hub slips on. Are there any seals that I can access form outside the tractor behind a snap ring or something?

If I have to split the transaxle it will probably have to wait until this winter and be pressed back into service as is.

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
There are various configurations based on serial number. They all appear to have a rear axle seal that can be replaced by simply removing the axle housing. Post serial number please. Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Bob, that would be good news. My serial number is 080334M.

·
Registered
110, 111
133 Posts
A common issue with the 110 and 112 tractors is that the hubs will wear out on the splined shaft. This wear causes the hub, and wheel, to begin to wobble. As they wear out the wobbling will get worse. Eventually they can wobble so much that the hub begins to wear against the axle seal, and cause it to fail. I would suggest checking how much wobble your wheels have.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The bearings in the outer part of the housing will become worn and lock up causing the axle to spin inside the bearing race. The axle is splined where the bearings ride and will wear faster causing axle to eventually ruin seal. You will definitely need to dig deeper probably. Just jack tractor up in rear, then see if you have any up to down movement of axle in housing. You may want to remove wheel to get a better look. Hub may be worn on axle as well. You can remove it as well to get best idea of axle or bearing wear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So looking at the service manual, the seal and oring are what I'm supposed to replace?

So are those parts are Seal M40676 and ring M41027? I'm assuming special oil seal cone tool no longer exists? Any other advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wrap electrical tape over axle splines to prevent damage to seals. Apply some grease as well to help slide together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts