Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Anyone out there have a good diagram showing how to connect the clutch spring under the frame of the STX 30? The parts schematic doesn't do a good job of showing the connection. All help appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having never repacked any bearing I am open for any and all suggestions. Such as should I pull the whole assembly and soak and brush in a five gallon pail. What to use as cleaner--diesel, gas, kerosene.
Regarding grease, what type? Can I over pack?
Do most just squeeze/force in with there fingers?
Any place not to get grease on.
Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ron,
I have something similar to this.

It works OK, but usually for smaller bearings, I just force it with fingers.
I use wheel bearing grease that you can get in a small pail or for grease gun.
Cleaning I use kerosene. Not volatile like gas and still breaks done the stuck stuff if there is any.
John

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Ron I put the grease in with my fingers and use high temperature wheel bearing grease. That is sometime called disc brake wheel bearing grease. It is really not good to over grease and if you do in a short period of time you will have a slipping PTO clutch from grease getting on the friction material, As far as cleaning if the grease in the hub is not hard and in obviously bad shape I don't clean it. If it is bad than clean it the best you can and apply new. Welcome to WFM. John I don't think you can use that tool on a PTO clutch bearing. It is a good tool to own though. Roger

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I pretty much do the same as Roger described. Just one caution. If you do need to let it soak in a cleaning solution, you probably should remove the ball bearing in the end with the engaging button. If I remember correctly, it is a sealed bearing and soaking may also remove some of it's grease. It usually survives years of service.
If it does not rotate smoothly and has any sign of wear, you could replace it with a new one. Good idea to replace the seal in the needle bearing end too, although too much grease somehow seems to get past even a new seal.
As an old timer, gasoline was probably the best cleaner of old grease for me in the past. But it is dangerous to use and NOT recommended. A spray can of Brake Cleaner and an old tooth brush is what I use now. You can also use it to clean the friction material on the clutch cone while you're there.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Roger,
My mistake. I did not look at the title. it would be kind of tough to use that on the PTO bearing.

I thought he was just asking about bearings in general.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.