Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 140 died on me after 30 minutes of mowing. I've read threads on here before about the coil being bad, so I threw a new one on and still no spark. It will crank and has plenty of gas, but no spark. This happened last week and I trouble shot for about two hours checking voltage to the points and so on, everything checked out. Suddenly after about two hours it started and ran fine. What do I check now? BTW it also has a Kirk pointsaver. Has anyone ever had a failure on this? I restored this tractor about 4 years ago and everything has been great up until now.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Check the condenser.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I think KB is thinking flaky coil. Best way is to replace it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Having been through a similar scenario with a 140, I would replace both at the same time. We thought that the problem was the coil (as did many onlookers) and put a new coil on it. It did the same thing. We then put a new condenser on and voila - no more problem. They're not that expensive. :nada:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not using a condenser. I'm using the points saver that Kirk Engines sells. I guess that could be failing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I checked that when it first happened. Wouldn't the circuit breaker kill the ignition and prevent it from cranking?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mystery solved. The new coil I put on was bad. This was a coil I had purchased from Kirk Engines last spring and it was a Bosch clone made in USA. When I checked resistance across the terminals it had infinite ohms, supposed to be 3-5. Cross checked with another old one I had and it was 3-5. So on with the dirty old one I had laying in a box under my bench and away she went. I will be contacting Kirk to see if he will do anything. Just wished I had checked that before I tore hlf the tractor apart looking for a bad wire.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
these issues can be painful at times, just because its new don't mean it will work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts