Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Over time I've developed an off center alignment between the flexible disk coupling and the transmission end of the drive shaft. The alignment issue is definitely at the rear drive shaft hub and not at the front hub. The drive shaft itself is not bent. I did perform a search but was unable to find any discussions on the topic. Has anyone ever had to adjust the alignment in this situation and if so how did you perform the task. Any sort of antidote you're able to offer or a link to a previous discussion on this topic I would sure appreciate, I'm running out of ideas. Thank you.

Kenneth

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
OK, scratch that idea. How about this: Pull the spark plugs out and watch the rear coupling as you turn the engine with the starter. If the shaft appears to wobble you might be able to loosen the coupling bolts and reposition the drive shaft flange to lessen the wobble.

By the way, if you do this leave the spark plugs attached to the leads and lay them on the engine. In rare cases the ignition system can be damaged by cranking without any place for the high voltage to go, especially with electronic ignition systems.
Stan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kenneth Did you check the rear coupler on the hydro to see if it was tight. Sometimes the pin in the coupler will wear and the coupler will get loose. Normally the pin will fall out but if yours is safety wired it would stay in place.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stan Barnes - That sounds like something I should try.

Richard C. Christensen - I indeed did check the rear coupler on the hydro to see if it was tight and it seemed to be in good shape, although, the roll pin and safety wire should be replaced, and it does have the factory safety wire on it.

Kenneth

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem when I reassembled my 140. I had a new flexible coupling. What I did to fix the problem was to loosen the bolts enough to let the disk move and depress the clutch pedal just enough to start pulling on the disk, and then tighten the bolts. This solved my problem of the unbalanced drive shaft.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
On my 74 140, the T things that attach to the driveshafts were actually made off center and caused wobbling. I cut them and got them closer to center, but it didnt completely fix it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Kenneth ,i would remove the bolts ,and rotate the rear end ,and see if the u joint is true ,you will need a pointer ,or dial ,to see this .is that weld i see on the u joint ?and if that shows true ,i would remove the drive shaft .place it in two vee blocks and rotate it .and check the flange on the drive shaft see how much slop you have in the bolt holes ,if this checks out .check out the rubber dics,if the drive shaft is true as you say ,check that again ,with a dial ,could be one or both setof holes are off center ,or just worn out. on some of my cubs ,they have a pin in the drive shaft that centers in the rear u joint to prevent this ,but i still needed to repair this pin ,by welding it up and remachining it to a new hole i machined in the rear u joint .things just get old ,like me .and need to be fixed .and one more thing check the faces of both u joints for bent . David retired machinist

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.