Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy holiday weekend my fellow JD nuts.
I have always tried to search for the information I need without bugging you guys with what are simple issues for most of you but I could really use some help on this one. I have an early number 68 140H3 that’s my lifesaver in the winter and last winter the clutch shorted out and burned up. I’ve owned six 140’s over the years and never had to mess with any of the clutches. I know there’s really not much to them, especially the early 140’s with the non adjustable clutch. My problem is there’s no way I can afford a new clutch so I looked on eBay and purchased the best looking one I could find. It’s a later adjustable type and like a fool I tried installing it without making sure everything slid on the shaft easily without getting stuck, when pulling the pulley off I’m pretty sure I ruined it. I don’t have any pictures just yet but willtry to get some later today. I remember reading about the clutches on here a couple of years ago where members were talking about how to adjust the clutches and someone popped in saying he doesn’t mess with old JD clutches anymore and buys aftermarket ones that are simply bolt on at a very good price. Can anyone tell me who sells a compatible aftermarket unit at a decent price? I haven’t tried to fix the one I bought yet but looking at it I’m not that optimistic. I was even wondering if I could use the old style pulley with the new style adjustable electromagnet, I believe the stud’s would have to be cut off. I just don’t want to ruin what I have left. I’ll try to get those pictures this afternoon and I look forward to hearing anyones thoughts.

· Registered
763 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it took so long to get some pictures, today’s the first day in four days with no rain, we got hit pretty good over here in New England Tuesday alone we got 5 to 9 inches depending on where in the state you are. Anyway, today’s beautiful and I have some pictures, you can clearly see that I pulled a Biden and forgot to remove the four nuts before using a puller on the pulley and pretty much destroyed the part. I have a 12 ton press I’m going to try, I doubt it will flatten out the six flat springs but it’s worth a try.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grass Rim Gas

Hood Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Sports equipment

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Door Automotive tire Gas Circle Sports equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Automotive wheel system

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
2,791 Posts
The linked clutch won't fit a 140. The 316 285,000 - is the Onan powered version, as is the 318. It would only fit a 317 if it had been repowered with an Onan. The Onan clutches have a 1 7/16" bore, compared to the 1" bore on the 140, 316 Kohler, and stock 317s.

I'm quite sure the pulley/flat spring assembly is wrecked, but nothing lost in trying. The good news is the coil that bolts to the engine is still good, which is the part that usually fails. You might be able to find just the damaged part.

· Registered
763 Posts
Didn’t op say he replaced it once? So he might have the pieces on his old clutch.

Reactions: mopar65pa
1 - 7 of 7 Posts