Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing a '73 140 and sat out for 2 years. Hydraulic levers all move together in one motion rather than independantly. I removed the set screw on the last arm on the inside (and the linkages to the spool valve obviously), but damn thing won't come off.

Am I missing something, as I don't want to damage anything. Do I just keep prying the thing off linkage by linkage? Are the plastic bushings easy to buy and replace? Just want my H3 to have 3 working independant levers.....

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Very carefully. Lol. I took a grinder to a flat bar and made a low profile pickle fork to get them apart on one I used to own. There is only one set screw.

Remove the set screw

Remove the little lever that the set screw was in, then remove the outer control lever.

Repeat on the center one, then the last one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KB! I was thinking that, but I don't want to harm my baby. Do you have a picture of that homemade tool? I think I got it in my head but seeing that yours worked so well

WFM is a wonderful tool.....so many helpful people! I've been searching the internet for 2 weeks and you helped so quickly. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I would soak them in kroil, 50/50 atf and acetone, pb blaster in that order for choice. Do not use wd40 it will bond the bushings to the levers if you do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no.....it is loaded with WD40 as we speak. I need to get some good stuff. Is it too late for the bushings or will putting the good stuff on flush out the wd40?

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I would get new bushings. adding another oil will not repair the damage that wd-40 has done, but hopefully they will not bond together too tight.

wd-40 is used to put on bike hand grips, it helps them slide on, but within 15 minutes it has broken down some of the plastic and rubber to allow them to bond to the metal bars, then you all but need to cut them off if you want to remove them. I keep wd-40 in my garage, but I only use it for glue removal. its has so many drawbacks as a lubricant including not being compatible with others that I avoid it. many years ago someone where I worked put it on a stage because we were out of the proper lubricant, that mistake cost the company more then 2 years of my salary, because when it mixed with the other lubricant it was more like rubber cement

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point! Did that for my son's grips this spring.....shoulda clued in. No WONDER it seemed to get worse when I drenched them in WD40.

I wonder where I find new bushings.....are they common? I hope they are cheap.....this project is starting to add up in time and money :bash:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Spudchucker;279052 I wonder where I find new bushings.....are they common? I hope they are cheap.....this project is starting to add up in time and money :bash:[/QUOTE said:
Get them from your JD dealer. Under $10 for the 2 of them. Here is the part #'s

T23639
M42565

Rodney

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got them off! Thank goodness.....was at them for over an hour straight. Switched to pB blaster and this helped. Anyone want some free cans of WD40 as I will never use them again (except for handgrips on bike!). They were NOT easy to remove.....but now that I have I'm ordering up new bushings and will be excited to finally have 3 independent levers working.

Thanks to all who commented!

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
We all learned new uses for WD40. How about another one! My dad would use it on his knees to relieve joint pain. Said it worked.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use wd40 on the underside of my mower decks every fall when I put them away for winter. My decks are as solid as a new one after 22 years. I buy it by the gallon and use a plastic spray bottle. I also spray down the body panels on tractor and snowthrowers before storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts