Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has been a while since I posted here. I acquired a 1972 140 that was tired & I had an itch to try a power steering mod. I got my inspiration from an old thread by Vince Yoder. So, I'm putting this thread out here to list the restoration and document the power steering mod with lessons learned for those who want to do it to their 140.

First, the restoration major items:
  • Rebuilt the Kohler 321. I don't think it's the original engine because the oil dipstick is vertical up through the heat shield. Maybe some of you have some wisdom to share here. I kinda think it is from a 214....??
  • The engine had a .020 over piston in it. So, the machine shop punched it for a new 0.030 piston & rod.
  • It didn't have balance gears to worry about. That's a +.
  • The rest of the engine was tight; so, I cleaned it up & reassembled.
  • The tractor ran (some smoke) before I tore it down. So, I knew the Sundstrand 15U pump & transmission worked well.
  • Cleaned all the tractor parts & started planning the power steering upgrade right away.

I'll post more about the power steering upgrade in the next post. And, will include some pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Did you wet sand and Polish or?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
And where some pics of that 332??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cedesjourdy

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay here's the steering cylinder scope of work and pics will follow.
* The steering cylinder is a rock shaft cylinder.
* Cylinder is mounted horizontal acting 90 degrees to the left frame rail. It is mounted to the left frame rail mower deck drag link bracket.
* Fabricated the cylinder mounting brackets from 4 pieces of 1/4 inch steel approx. 1-1/4 X 1-1/4 inches (2 per bracket).
* One bracket is welded to the deck desk link bracket. This is where the fixed end of the cylinder is attached via a grade 8 bolt & nylock nut.
* The remaining 2 pieces of steel were used to fabricate a bracket approx. 1 inch off of the steering pivot.
* One last thing with the cylinder: removed the JIC-5 cyl fittings and replaced with JIC-6. This allowed for all hyd hoses to be JIC-6 on both ends. (The 318 steering control, H3 valve body and Hyd pump ports are all JIC-6 already)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top