Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the cost of a new steering drag link with built in ball joint ends that goes between the steering box arm and the steering bell crank. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a little over $200!! What do other guys do, pay $200+ or make their own? If anyone has made their own, did you use a internally threaded tube or a rod with threads on each end? Did you put a bend in it like the original or not? So many questions!
I'm thinking unlike the two tie rods, the drag link's job is a lot harder because it has to move both wheels, hence more wear..
Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
200 bucks?! If you go buy one don't bend over while you're there. Fer sure I'd make one myself. Just need a steel rod with the required right hand threads on the ends, a couple decent quality ball joints and presto.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200 bucks was the John Deere dealer's price....IF I remember correctly. Don't worry, I stay out of any and all dealerships if possible! I'm an old DIY kind of guy.
I personally don't see the need for it BUT, bend or no bend in the rod?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
the bend is there to reduce some vibration and or align the joints for better wear over time

·
Registered
Two 400s, MTD 990, Sears 10XL
45 Posts

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
I replaced every ball joint on the 400 I resto'd. Kept the best ones off it for spares. I also rebuilt the steering gear, the steering valve and replaced all bushings in the linkages. Huge difference but I did that stuff all at the same time so I don't know which improved the steering the most. It turns like a new one now. It still wanders back and forth a nit in high range going down the road. Not a lot though.
Nothing other than the ball joints are getting a little loose which is contributing to the sloppiness of the steering.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Accidentally created a new post but on the advice of my lawyer I have no comment. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same problem with the 71 140 that i purchased a couple of years ago. As a matter of fact that is the reason the PO sold it to me. It sat for 10 years in his garage because the drag link kept falling off. I was able to turn the end down and added an external thread, i then put a new tie rod end onto it. It has worked great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts