Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Is there a better tire that would help make the steering easier. This thing steers like an old truck. The only other garden tractor I had that steered this hard was a CC102. Notice I said 'HAD'! My Case, 2 WH's, AC, and '64 JD 110 all steer easy compared to this thing. I took the spindles out of the axle, cleaned and greased them. Adjusted the steering box and greased it. Pumped up the tires to 30+ lbs. It doesn't steer too bad on the pavement, but in the grass...forget about! Any ideas that would help.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
How does the center pivot look? The one that connects the steering box drag link to the tie rods?

Bend down and hold the steering wheel in your right hand and look at that pivot, while turning back and forth a bit on the wheel. What's happening? (You should see side to side movement, and not up and down).

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP! Is there a better tire that would help make the steering easier. This thing steers like an old truck. The only other garden tractor I had that steered this hard was a CC102. Notice I said 'HAD'! My Case, 2 WH's, AC, and '64 JD 110 all steer easy compared to this thing. I took the spindles out of the axle, cleaned and greased them. Adjusted the steering box and greased it. Pumped up the tires to 30+ lbs. It doesn't steer too bad on the pavement, but in the grass...forget about! Any ideas

JACK UP THE FRONT OF THE TRACTOR AND PIVOT THE TIRE ON THE SPINDLE BACK AND FORTH TO SEE IF IT IS HARD TO MOVE IF SO TAKE THE TIROD OF FROM THE STEERING BOX TO THE DOWN BY THE WHEEL AND TAKE IT OFF SPINDLE AND REPEAT TURNING SPINDLES BACK AND FOURTH IF IT'S HARD TO TURN THEN ITS YOUR SPINDLES NEED TAKEN APART AND CLEANED AND GREASED.. IF IT MOVES FINE THEN ITS THE STEERING GEAR WILL NEED WORK...

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Here you go:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Here you go:
did this on my 74 140 that I was into the steering system on. seems to help and it steers nice now. though that may be cause I leave the tiller on the rear to act as a counter weight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
sublime; The counter weight of the tiller is what's making your 140 easy to steer.

I installed needle thrust bearings on my 4016 Case and ball thrust bearings on my C101 Wheel Horse. It helped a little, but I'm thing it's going to take more then thrust bearings to make much of a difference. The weight of the cast iron14 HP Kohler is the real culprit. There's nothing I can or want to do about that. I didn't remove and clean the center pivot yet, (all though I did grease it), so I'll do that and install the 'poor man's power steering, but I still think it's the tires. They have a lot of contact with the ground. If jack it up, it turns from lock to lock very easy and if I drive on a hard surface it steers... OK, but drive on the lawn, it's a different story..
Maybe I'll increase the toe-in a little bit and see if that helps??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Check that center pivot. My good 140 had worn the "cones" inside the pivot to a stepped cone shape, and it caused a lot drag. Even cleaned and greased.

When I put on the 4 way 54 blade for the first time it was nearly impossible to steer. I then went to work adding power steering from a 318.

The older "mall rat" I worked on a few years ago actually steered pretty well. It's pivot was much better, and after a little lapping compound, it turned really well.

Here is the good one (good tractor, bad cones):

And here is the one that was a lot better:

Reactions: ronrhatch

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
sublime; The counter weight of the tiller is what's making your 140 easy to steer.

I installed needle thrust bearings on my 4016 Case and ball thrust bearings on my C101 Wheel Horse. It helped a little, but I'm thing it's going to take more then thrust bearings to make much of a difference. The weight of the cast iron14 HP Kohler is the real culprit. There's nothing I can or want to do about that. I didn't remove and clean the center pivot yet, (all though I did grease it), so I'll do that and install the 'poor man's power steering, but I still think it's the tires. They have a lot of contact with the ground. If jack it up, it turns from lock to lock very easy and if I drive on a hard surface it steers... OK, but drive on the lawn, it's a different story..
Maybe I'll increase the toe-in a little bit and see if that helps??
my 74 140 has over sized lug tires on the front as well so there is less ground contact with those vs the regular turf tires.

On my 69 140 it has skinny front tires and steers pretty well.

Also have a steering knob on both the tractors and that has made a world of difference as grap the knob to get the turning done. also just have to always be moving to turn the wheel as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have steering knob. Sorry, but not a help in reducing the effort required to turn the wheel. I replaced the worn axle pivot bushing this summer.
My dad pounded into my head; "DO NOT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IF YOU'RE NOT MOVEING AND KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE DARN CLUTCH UNLESS YOU'RE SHIFTING GEARS!" Thank You dad! I wonder how many kids (or dads) today know that and the reason why?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had an old Ford F100, that was manual everything. You couldn't steer unless you were moving. I mean you could, but you would want to be standing outside and have a good footing. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Have steering knob. Sorry, but not a help in reducing the effort required to turn the wheel. I replaced the worn axle pivot bushing this summer.
My dad pounded into my head; "DO NOT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IF YOU'RE NOT MOVEING AND KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE DARN CLUTCH UNLESS YOU'RE SHIFTING GEARS!" Thank You dad! I wonder how many kids (or dads) today know that and the reason why?
I had that lesson as well. most tractors I drove growing up had power steering, but every now and then you got one with out and learned you need to be moving to turn the wheel. sure made backing up wagons a trial to get that done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never drove a tractor with PS. Heck, the model 'A' JD's didn't even have self starters! The IH's 'H', 'M', 400 and Cub I drove did and all had narrow front ends except for the Cub. I guess that makes me old as dirt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 318's now because they steer nice, even with a FEL, standing still,, but I looked at a 317 that had a "real" steering box and it steered quite well, way better than my old 300 or 140. Someone might know if they are adaptable to your 140, I imagine that would be way easier than converting to power steering?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts