Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1970 140 H3 (-10,000) and i have seemed to develop a question that i have yet to find a solid answer to. This is the first tractor i have had that uses transmission fluid for the hydraulics as well. After changing out all the fluids i cant determine if its best to top off the fluid with all the attachments in down position (i have 3 point hitch and mower deck attached right now) or with the everything up. It seems to make a big difference in fluid level between the two and i dont want to work this thing hard without the right level of fluid. I assume if i filled too much it would be slow to go down due to back pressure and such but its hard to tell with just these attachments. Advice?!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Interesting question. On the face of it, since these attachments use double acting cylinders, (pressure up and down, two hoses) one would think that the only volume difference should be the volume of the cylinder rod, which would be nominal since these are such small cylinders. Are you sure that the difference isn't being caused by the cylinders being short on fluid at the start of use?

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great point and come to think of it, to see if the level changed i would start tractor to move implements, thus circulating fluid through cylinders. I suppose this could be the most likely reason. Being that as you mentioned, there should be very little fluid change with such small cylinders which is why I was baffled. Thanks for your reply, I will see if the level stays relatively the same with implements down after sitting for a bit.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Cycle them a few times and check level again in case air is in them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts