Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I may be selling or trading my 140 Garden tractor and would appreciate the expert's advice on what I should ask for it.
It is a 1973 H1 model with the following;
-Mowing deck that was sanded and repainted. It has been cleaned and degreased. Painted (J D Spray paint yellow).
Mule drive and belts included.

-Model 49 Snowblower sanded/painted. New chute bracket. I degreased the chain and gearbox and regreased them. In the gearbox, I used JD Corn Head grease. The bearings look to be recent but I did not replace them.

The tractor was degreased cleaned and repainted (JD spray cans). All fluids and filters were just replaced. Front Hydraulics just installed. New Spark plug. The seat is in nice shape. I repainted the seat and the springs. I installed new rubber bushings and stainless hardware. I just added JD 75 Lb wheel weights with galvanized hardware. It has turf tires that look new but have some cracking. They do not leak. The wheels were painted recently. No cigarette lighter no rear PTO and no headlights. The hood has no cracks. The machine starts and runs nice but it blows a little puff of smoke only at startup. It does not seem to be burning any oil.
I am an amateur and this was not professionally and completely broken down and restored and I am not implying that it was.
I appreciate your advice on what to ask
!
Thank you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you did a fine job from the pics.

Location is a factor, like sublime says. Although, judging by your other equipment in the pics, you must be somewhere with grass and snow. :p

I would keep the tractor and deck together, and use the SB to sweeten the deal or sell separately. (Although, now is a great time to showcase the blower)

It also depends on how motivated you are? Do you want top dollar, or just the floor space back?

I would agree with sublimes prices (although I would hold them back a bit since it's an H1).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to replace it with 300 series and I need the space. I had fun sprucing the 140 up., but it is time to move on to the next one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I want to replace it with 300 series and I need the space. I had fun sprucing the 140 up., but it is time to move on to the next one.
Depends on what you mean by 300 series, anything that’s a closed frame or open frame? I’m saying this since if you get a closed frame than you’re probably better off keeping the 140.
Agree with the prices that have been mentioned.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I understand. I always have my eye out for "something", specifically an oil burner. Although, I don't know why, my 140 is set up pretty nice. And a much bigger deck and I would have to upgrade my gate...

One thing to consider, is that the deck and blower could be used on the correct 300 series, assuming you're talking 317-18-32

The 140 is a pretty nice simple and robust little tractor and every time I jump on it and do something I think "why would I even consider something else?"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fun for me is my version of "restoring" them. I have a zero turn and a snowblower and I'm looking for the next JD Garden Tractor and bringing it back to life. I might keep it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts