Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a set of the wide tri-rib tires? I’m wondering how they sit. Most pictures show them riding on the center rib only, but not sure what pressure they are at. I’m torn between them and V61s for my latest project.

Reactions: jd140

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Based on my own experience (YRMV) the rib tires steer somewhat easier and make nifty pizza cutters but I'd go with the V61's if the tractor is gonna earn its keep. I'd like a wide set of tri-ribs for my 1/2N though. My V61's are 8 ply. Man they're tough to mount and the consensus seems to be tubes are a must.

· Registered
886 Posts
I have a set of them on my 140, They do ride on the center rib. They would not be the best tire for mowing because it will tear up the grass. V61's would be much better for mowing.

Attachments

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a set of them on my 140, They do ride on the center rib. They would not be the best tire for mowing because it will tear up the grass. V61's would be much better for mowing.
What pressure do you run in them?

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yours look less ballooned than the pictures on Millers site.
The narrow ribs I have on my tractors will ride on the center rib only at max pressure, but at Deeres recommended pressure they ride on all 3.

· Registered
573 Posts
I run the V61s on my 332 at like 15psi. I got tired of doing tubes and dealing with mourning them for the afformentioned reasons, so I run tubeless now and they're fine. Gotta really slow down while mowing and turning though because they will dig right in. Much safer that turfs though in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Problem with mine is the 8 ply rubber is not great at sealing around the bead. Not sure about 6 ply but 4 should be ok without tubes. My 8N has the original type of narrow rib tires on the front. I slow right down turning when I mow with the belly deck, except doing the acre at the rear of our property. It's mostly weeds so I let the rooster tails fly back there.

I run the V61s on my 332 at like 15psi. I got tired of doing tubes and dealing with mourning them for the afformentioned reasons, so I run tubeless now and they're fine. Gotta really slow down while mowing and turning though because they will dig right in. Much safer that turfs though in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor

I have one set of tri ribs. I had to put tubes in them as the beads would not stay set without 30lbs pressure in them. Everything else I have has V61's on them. I thought I loved the tri ribs, but other than the look I would say that V61's are the better tire.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
I have one set of the wide tri-ribs. I bought them for my 140 loader tractor, partly for the looks, and partly to reduce steering effort with the loader. They helped a bit. If you have decent pressure in them they will ride mostly on the center rib. If you have low enough pressure that they don't ride mostly on the center rib on fairly hard ground, the amount of flexing probably wouldn't be good for them.

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems like most say not to use them for mowing, but I’ve also heard that for the narrow ribs as well, but haven’t experienced any issues with them tearing up any turf.

Reactions: jd140

· Registered
5,074 Posts
tri ribs dont tear up the grass, the driver does it with too much speed

unless you happen to have a soggy mushy ground then no tire will help you much

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Knotty.. you're exactly right. If I turn on turf with my 8N and skinny tri-ribs without slowing down (a lot) there will be rooster tails of dirt and grass flying off the tires. It would be pretty handy for making crop circles on a lawn though. Just turn sharp running wide open and use the round gouge mark in the sod as a template.

tri ribs dont tear up the grass, the driver does it with too much speed
unless you happen to have a soggy mushy ground then no tire will help you much

· Registered
JD 210, JD 318, 2 JD 214s, Allis-Chalmers WD45 diesel, Allis-Chalmers WD JI Case 220, JI Case 446
91 Posts
View attachment 285759

I have one set of tri ribs. I had to put tubes in them as the beads would not stay set without 30lbs pressure in them. Everything else I have has V61's on them. I thought I loved the tri ribs, but other than the look I would say that V61's are the better tire.
When I put a 2nd set of wheel weights on my brothers 120 for plowing, I left those studs on and used them for duels on it.. just for pictures of course, didn’t want to bend something..

· Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Levelled the driveway with the duel weights and removed them at the end of the day.

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mini did you make up your mind on the tires?
I still don’t know for sure… it’ll will probably come down to what’s in stock when I order. I found these 2 pictures online, and keep looking at them trying to decide.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Tractor Plant Vehicle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts