Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 110 that I still use around the house. I have been having some trouble with the generator this year. The tractor starts and runs great, but I have to jump start it every time unless the battery has been on the charger. My first thought was a bad battery so that has been replaced. After mowing this weekend (engine had been running for about an hour) the batter measured less than 6 volts with the engine running. Measuring the voltage on the generator terminals I get less than 2 volts at about 1/2 throttle.

Can these generators be rebuilt? If not, what is the best option to find a new one. Thanks for your help.

John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The easy fix and under $20 is new brushes. That worked for me on my 65 110. The more expensive fix is the armature at about $85 (around here anyway) with me doing the disassembly and reassembly. Search ebay for the brush kits, also comes with two new bearings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Bill I really appreciate the help.

Am I correct in thinking that if the starter works well enough to start the tractor that the problem is likely somewhere else like the voltage regulator? Is there any way I can test to find out which component is the problem?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
You could do a running voltage test. Test the battery voltage with the engine off. Test the battery voltage again with the engine running at WOT. With the engine off it should be around 12.5 volts and when running more like 13.5 to 14 volts. If it isn't like 13.5 volts then either the generator needs work as said above or the VR is bad. With the engine running you can run 12 volts to the generator field terminal and the voltage at the battery should jump up to 14 + volts. Don't leave the jumper on any longer than the test. If the jumper wire works then you need a VR. If the wiring has been messed with that could also be an issue as can the ignition switch. If you can find a repair manual that would take you through this step by step in the right order. Roger

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It will start with a armature that won't charge. I had that exact problem. Took it into a automotive repair shop that specializes in generators and alternators. Like Roger said measure to see if you get any output. Mine was 0, but had no problem starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.