Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1965 110, several ?'s pertaining to exhaust.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  T-Mo 
#1 ·
Hey all, names Jeff. My father recently passed down his 1965 110 to me and I absolutely love it. I want to put a stack exhaust on it, so I suppose my first question is how much better does it sound with a stack exhaust. Secondly, this particular mower has a ton of after market hardware, in particular hardware that mounts the factory heat shield to the fiberglass hood itself. My question is this, "how did John Deere factory affix the heat shield to the hood?" Someone drilled holes through the decals on the hood and through the hood and through inner heat shield bracket, it looks extremely tacky and judging from pictures I see online there is no visible hardware protruding on the outer part of the "hood decals" holding the heat shield in place. When I get home from work I will upload a picture if possible. Any insight is helpful. Thanks a ton in advance.

#3 ·
Good looking tractor other then that

#4 ·
Ya know, I appreciate that, it's my first mower and it was my dads, I wanna restore it. Money is always the option on a complete restore, but I will do my best to clean it up and make it as factory as possible. It's funny, I've had it for 72 hours and I find myself standing in the garage, drinking a beer and just staring at it. I love this damn thing.

#5 ·
The heat shield is fastened to the hood by the hinge pin only. Someone added the two phillips head screws which isn't factory.

Second, the exhaust stack. I know a few here have them, but I wouldn't recommend doing it. If you don't support the stack properly, it may crack the block at the exhaust port since there will be a lot of vibration (stress) at that area. Also, in my opinion, the original style muffler is much cooler looking.

You have a nice looking round fender there.

#6 ·
Much appreciated, I wonder why someone drilled a hole through the hood, I'm positive it wasn't my father, he knows better. I think I can fix that. If I were to put a stack on it what would be the proper way to support the under side of the 90 so I don't put stress on the block.

#7 ·
Please don't put a stack on that nice machine! That is an original or original type muffler. Nothing makes the little K181's sound so good as a nice muffler of that type. Find an old Craftsman mower, put a stack on it, crank it up and begin the fiberglass hood repair. By the time you have the hood finished, your craving for a stack will probably diminish a lot!
It's your tractor though, so do what pleases you.

tommyhawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.