Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 110 restoration project in the barn I picked up some time ago. One rear wheel would roll and the other was stuck. Every now and then both would roll and crunching noises came from the transaxle. I drained the transaxle and of course it was full of water. Filled it full of diesel and put in in the barn to soak 2 years ago. Tried to roll it the other day and it would kind of break loose and roll a few feet, then crunch and hang up. The engine will run and stay running when I continuously squirt gas in it. (fuel system needs to be cleaned) So theirs hope for the engine.

So here's where I'm at, this transaxle really needs to be gone through or swapped for a good one. I've rebuilt a couple of Wheelhorse transmissions, but I have never been into a JD one yet.

I have another 110 transaxle that PO said it was good, but must of had some water in it and froze and cracked the case. he gave it to me for parts in exchange for pulling the hubs off, boy were they on there. So it might have a few good but rusty parts in it.

I picked up a JD 210 at the scrap yard that they partly crushed unloading it with the claws. It actually was in decent shape before the claws got to it and broke the transaxle side axle housing on one side. I got some other parts and a good running engine out of it. So one question is does the JD 210 transaxle have the same gear set in it as a JD 110?

I have an opportunity to pick up an engine-less JD 210 that the transaxle seems to roll and shifts nicely through the gears. So is the 210 transaxle the same as a 110's so it would bolt right in as a replacement?

If I go the rebuild route is there a list of the bearings and seals needed so that I could get them from a bearing supply instead of $$ John Deere.
If I go the rebuild route are all the 110 transmissions alike or are there internal differences at different years/serial number breaks? In other words to they all use the same bearings and seals or are their differences?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

· Registered
2,677 Posts
The short answer is the 210 transaxle will fit right in a '66 110. You will need to use the shifter from the 110 and the brake assembly. The drive pulley may or may not be different. A neutral safety switch bolts on the 200 series, but the '66 may not have one or is different.
JD used a few different versions of the 2300 series 4 speed Peerless/Tecumseh transaxle from 1965 through the end of the 200 series.
One difference I found between the 1968 112 and a 1975 200 series was the differential assembly. The bevel gear teeth are a courser pitch in the newer one. I think the latest 110/112 may have used this also. It will interchange if the matching thrust washers/thrust bearings are used.
There was one model that could be had with a limited slip tranny. That differential is much different. It was not offered very long because a unique spring that made the locker work didn't hold up very long, no doubt causing JD dealers some headaches. When I joined this forum in 2003, there was a lot of interest in this tranny, but that spring had been NLA for some time by then. AFAIK nobody ever found or made a suitable replacement.
So much for the short story, sorry! The most cost effective repair for you would be to find a good tranny from a 200 series and go from there. Unless the gear shifter snaps solidly in place in each gear, you are well advised to open it up and replace the detent ball springs. The axles have a weakness for wearing a groove in the splined area if the out board bearings get bad. I don't know if anyone has made a "kit" with the bearings, seals, and gaskets. Check e-bay I guess.

tommyhawk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@tommyhawk Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to go look at the 210 and check the transaxle out closely.

Just an FYI on that Limited Slip Spring. Wheelhorse built their own transmissions, and had a limited slip model with a spring that was NLA. However a vendor "Wheelhorse Parts and More" has had them reproduced. #7235 Spring Wheel Horse - Wheel Horse Parts and More I wonder what the chances are that it would fit in the Peerless limited slip. They all bought parts from other vendors to build their stuff. Hope you don't mind me mentioning other brands, as I have a little bit of almost every color.

· Registered
3,353 Posts
There was one model that could be had with a limited slip tranny. That differential is much different. It was not offered very long because a unique spring that made the locker work didn't hold up very long, no doubt causing JD dealers some headaches. When I joined this forum in 2003, there was a lot of interest in this tranny, but that spring had been NLA for some time by then. AFAIK nobody ever found or made a suitable replacement.
Early model 112 SF's I believe, of course I read that somewhere over a year ago so may be wrong.

· Registered
764 Posts
1968 hydro lift 112, pretty sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts