Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Finished painting one rim this morning. Needs a couple days drying time before I mount the tire.. Hope to get other rim painted tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Work at greenhouse and son moving has kept me out of garage. Hoping to get back on it next week afternoons.

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Got back to work on this project again yesterday.
  • Removed and cleaned the front axle.
  • Axle is partially painted. Will need to let it dry overnight and finish painting tomorrow.
  • Right spindle can also be painted now.
  • Just finished cleaning up the front axle hardware. Need some new parts. Photo of parts attached at end.
    • Bearing M40712 wore at rear frame plate where front axle mounts.
      • Bearing NLA. Subs to M43588 which is the larger bolt used on s/n (10047 - ) ... Bolt also appears to be NLA so may need to fabricate new part.
      • Bolt will need new castle nut (14H902 ... $1.78)
    • Washers will be replaced from my hardware bin as needed
    • 2 Bushings P1076H ... $5.10 each in axle need to be mic'd to determine if they need to be replaced.
  • Need to inspect axle mounting bore in frame for wear.
  • Hopefully tonight yet I will get the steering arm removed and painted so that tomorrow I can get the frame cleaned up and the arm reinstalled.
DSCN1615.JPG

Reactions: Tsb3

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gabby I just put my front axle back together last weekend. That “bearing” M40712, I call it a steel sleeve, is just 1/2” I.d. 3/4” o.d. pipe. My axle had a little bit of back and forth movement, not much, but I replaced the bushings and sleeve with pipe as they were pretty inexpensive and I plan on keeping my 110 for a long time. I had to “polish” the sleeve with emery cloth to get the perfect fit. It took about 10 minutes with test fitting. Put a coat of grease on the sleeve and reassembled. It’s great now.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, for the price of a bolt, nut, and two bushings I intend to replace the parts. I need to remove the steering arm to look at the condition of the bolt with the cone that mounts the arm plate. I know it is not broken like Sublime68charger's 140. The bolt is loose allowing the plate about 1/4" of vertical movement. The bolt (AM31446) is NLA. Seems to be a common thing with this tractor. Luckily I have not encountered anything major needing replacement.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Matt, is the steering arm bolt threaded into the frame? Doesn't seem to want to unscrew. I saw in you 140 post you used a small bit to drill into broken end of your bolt.

Engine is sitting in frame but not bolted down. I need to remove it to paint the frame so maybe its that time.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just needed a ratchet on the steering arm bolt to remove it. Arm and all components removed and cleaned.
Cone Wear.jpg Bolt wear.jpg DSCN1620.JPG
Cone on plate shows wear bottom of cone. Bolt cone also shows wear. Parts are no longer available so will clean them up with emery cloth and reuse.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Front axle, right side spindle, steering arm, and arm lock plate are painted.

Underside of frame is degreased and cleaned. Not going to paint.

Can someone tell me grade of bolt M43588?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
This morning I stopped at local Deere dealer on way home from the greenhouse.
  • Ordered the two pivot bolt bushings. They will be here Thursday.
  • M43588 bolt is grade 2 ... I will be using grade 5.
  • Picked up a 3/4"-24UNC x 3 1/2" bolt and lock nut.
  • Still need to mount tire on painted rim and paint the second rim
  • Photos show axle assembly and steering arm ready to reinstall after frame is painted.
DSCN1621.JPG DSCN1622.JPG

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Today I reinstalled the steering arm and reconnected linkage from steering gearbox. Bottom of frame was not repainted but was degreased and wiped clean.

The steering seems have little wobble. The only visible issue I will need to investigate is the steering lever through the gearbox wobbles when changing steering direction.

Will check with dealer tomorrow to see if both bushing have been delivered from parts depot.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Duplicated post I needed to get rid of ... Sorry

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Bushing were in at dealer when I stopped in today so now I can finish reassembly of front axle after I finish painting the rims. Multiple projects going on right now. It looks like it may be Sunday before I can get back on this project.

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Lifted the engine out of the frame again this morn to do some more frame work before painting frame. Following are some issues I will need to determine what to do.
  1. Muffler does not appear to be original but will paint hi-temp black and reinstall before deciding if I will buy new from Hapco.
  2. Can someone tell me if the lift arm tube is suppose to have bend ?
  3. Remainder of photos are condition of console area.
  4. If I remove the steering wheel I can drop the Ross steering gearbox out the bottom of the frame so I can clean and make adjustments to the gearbox. Presently the steering shaft is loose and wobbly at the upper tube bearing/bushing (M43743 ... M43744). Bearing M43743 is NLA from Deere nor is it available from Hapco.
  5. Rest of cosole area needs clean up and paint.
  6. I have new ignition switch and generator light to install. Need to look at original wiring harness. Harness is pretty simple so may fabricate a new harness.
  7. Photo shows headlight switch installed. Tractor did not have original headlights. There are holes drilled in hood supports for after market lights. Not sure I will install lights but switch will be wired in case I run across a set of stock lights at reasonable cost. Just the mounts from Hapco are $60/piece.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don’t know if it’s factory, but my lift lever/tube has the same bend. I found an old squirrel nest in my column/pedestal, full of nut shells.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
My lift lever/tube has the same bend. I found an old squirrel nest in my column/pedestal, full of nut shells.
Guess I will leave it bent. Console area was full of mouse nesting when I got this tractor. Cleaning it up now.

Variator lever and linkage is removed. Old grease is sticky. Had to pry the lever off the shaft because woodruff key did not permit me to rotate the lever on the shaft. Parts are ready for sanding and paint.

To do a good job painting the frame I need to remove the variator arm and the mower deck lift linkage. These are spring loaded connections. PC does not show a spring on the manual lift linkage. When I bought tractor it had a model 36 snow thrower mounted on it so I assume there is lift assist spring connected to the linkage.
DSCN1636.JPG DSCN1634.JPG DSCN1635.JPG

Edit ... need to find a puller to remove steering wheel. Does not want to break loose.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yes lift assist spring was included with tiller, snowblower and sleeve hitch. Yes, lift arm is factory bent. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Today was a run errand day but did get some more done on the tractor.
  • Most of the variator lever and linkage painted ... still need to paint the between the lever and variator arm.
  • Removed the steering wheel
    • with the steering wheel off I could remove the dash assembly mounted on top of the console.
    • I can also remove the Ross steering gearbox ... 3 capscrews and 1 steering link that connects steering arm to the gearbox
    • Gearbox needs to be toredown for inspection. Feels good so hoping it only needs tweeks to adjustments
  • Next step would be to remove the manual lift lever, lever linkage, and variator arm
  • With these removed I should be able to remove the console from the tractor.
  • Then cleanup, sanding and painting starts getting things ready for reassembly.
DSCN1646.JPG DSCN1647.JPG
One item I am pretty sure I will need is the "bearing" (M43743) for the top of the steering column just under the steering wheel. PC says "Contact Dealer for price". My interpretation for that is piece is no longer available..
DSCN1643.JPG DSCN1644.JPG

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
No action on the 112 today and will be gone tomorrow.

Volunteered to work at the greenhouse Sunday to give regular employees a little break on Easter Sunday. May get a little work done on tractor Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Remove the steering gearbox from the tractor today and opened it up to inspect for damage/wear.
DSCN1659.JPG DSCN1663.JPG DSCN1662.JPG
Gearbox is in pretty good condition. PO must have adjusted he bottom plug. There is no endplay in the steering shaft/bearings. I may need to loosen it up just a smidge.

The stud attached to the steering lever that engages the worm gear inside the gearbox has some wear but not enough to warrant replacement.
DSCN1665.JPG
Two pieces I would like to replace but are NLA are the black kidney shaped seal and the vinyl bushing. I need to confirm with Deere they are NLA.
DSCN1664.JPG
I am going to proceed with cleanup and paint till I find out if these are truly no longer available.

Reactions: DEERE317
61 - 80 of 106 Posts