Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling this nearly all-original 1968 John Deere 140 H3 (serial number 3857 M) with its four original attachments, all owned since new by my family.

Tractor was used mostly for mowing grass and removing snow at a suburban Minneapolis home. All equipment was always stored in a shed or garage. Not used since 2014 and currently in storage in Bemidji, Minnesota.

Below are the details, at the risk of too much information.

Attachments (brass tags intact) and accessories:
  • Model 48 rotary mower – Includes belt covers, mule drive and mulch plate; 2” rust hole in deck near front rollers
  • Model 49 snow thrower – One skid runner has small rust holes; scraper bar is intact; minimal bends on rotor edges
  • Model 33 rotary tiller – Last used in the late ’70s; minor dents on bottom edge of side plates; includes one set of extension plates and blades/tines
  • Model 80 dump cart trailer – Box tilt/tailgate are fully functional
  • Rear wheel cast-iron weights
  • Rear tire traction chains
  • Operator’s Manuals for tractor, rotary mower, snow thrower, rotary tiller and dump cart trailer
Known non-original parts on tractor:
  • Left rear tire (original tire and tube are available)
  • One front spindle
  • Steering column
  • Gas tank cap
  • Parts replaced during 1985 overhaul – cylinder head, piston, rings, connecting rod, exhaust valve, clutch, driveshaft
Engine
Original 12-hp Kohler K301 was over-bored on two occasions: during an initial overhaul by a JD dealer in 1985 and a subsequent repair in 1990 after poor workmanship during the initial overhaul caused connecting rod failure.

I can’t demonstrate the engine runs. My late father used the tractor and mower (and maybe the snow thrower) sparingly from 2005 through 2014, after which time everything was retired to storage after he passed away. To the best of my knowledge, the tractor was fully operational in 2014, though Dad stated the engine would quit running after 30 minutes. His records show he replaced the engine head gasket three times between 2005 and 2014. Today the engine turns over easily on a strong battery and good starter motor but does not fire. Gas enters the cylinder but there is no spark from the new plug. Breaker points are from 2009 and appear clean with proper gap. The condenser is nearly new. Spark plug wire is probably the original. No other troubleshooting has been done on the ignition system. This summer I discovered a slow fuel leak from the carburetor/air cleaner housing – a full gas tank leaked/evaporated to empty during the past three years of storage.

Hydrostatic Transmission
During storage, a few drops of fluid have collected under the transmission. Records show the hydro linkage was adjusted in 1985, probably to fix what I remember as a subtle creep when parked. I have no reason to believe the tractor cannot be driven once the engine is running.

Photos are in this site's Gallery album titled “For Sale – 1968 140 with attachments.” More high-res photos are available upon request.
https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/dbtgallery.php?do=view_image&id=11768&gal=gallery

YouTube video with a tractor walk-around and the engine turning over: https://youtu.be/L4ewP8bvm50

I am selling only as a complete package of tractor and all attachments/accessories. I do not have the storage space or spare time to sell as individual items or part out.

$800 for the package -- cash only. Tractor and attachments sold “as is” with no warranty or guarantee. Buyer is responsible for transporting the tractor and all attachments/accessories from Bemidji, Minnesota.

I am happy to answer any questions. PM if you wish. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Good package deal. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
SOLD ...
for the asking price of $800. Thanks to everyone for your interest.

(I included the sale price above as a guide for those of you researching "market value.")

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.