Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on a K181 internal coil. I’m trying to figure out the wiring to the points from the coil. I have 1 wire that comes out of the 3 pin connector that passes straight through behind the stator over the the carburetor side and 1 wire that come off the coil over to the carburetor side of the motor. Do both of these go to the points/ condenser?

I hooked it up that way and when I cranked the engine it turned over for about 1 revolution and then I saw smoke from the points area. And then quit cranking.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Make sure you have no battery voltage going to the points. If you did you probably killer the internal coil. That system produces its own electricity and the only wire on it is to ground the system to stop the engine. Roger

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is my sons project and I can only offer phone support .There is more to the story.I will try to give a back story and more info . It is 1971 with a rectifier. Switched motors and hooked up wiring.Turned key it cranked and started.Shut key off and it kept running.Pulled all wires off the switch and it kept running. I am not good with electrical but am I correct that there has to be a direct hot wire going somewhere? He can update more info later and ask more questions. The latest snafu came when he was trying to follow the wiring diagram and rewire.

·
Registered
372 Posts
In PC 1081 it shows the the wiring harness and the stator. the single connector coming from the points hooks to the single connector shown under the rectifier. it is a ground at the switch which is why it doesn't stop when you pull the wires off the switch.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Wrong switch? JD had problems in the 1968 to 1970 era with 110 (Kohler) powered and 112s (Tecumseh) powered that had switches the looked the same and bolted on the same and even used the same keys. The problem was when you used the wrong one it either burned up the Tecumseh electronic ignition ($200) or the motor would not shut off. Don't know if that is your problem but suspect it is a wiring problem a previous owner made happen. If it was me I would replace all the starting system wiring and components so I would know what I was dealing with. Of course I have all of them laying in my spare parts box. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all.

I won’t have time to get back out the the garage until later this week to look into this. With what you all have said I’m thinking that my key switch is wrong/bad.

I’ll explain more my reason for thinking this when I can dive into this deeper

·
Registered
12 Posts
I second Woodpecker41, check to see if you have the correct ignition switch. I picked up a 1972 110 with the K181 magneto ignition a few years ago. It was the last serial number for the 8hp magneto so I wanted to keep it original. After a new battery and fresh gas, I had the same experience with it cranking then nothing. I checked the points and they were melted. I checked all the wiring and found out the ignition switch was for a coil ignition. I tested the magneto coil with no success. Bailed on it and switched to coil ignition. Runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a working magneto ignition k181 that needs a very good battery to crank it enough to start if it has not been run in a while. drive every two days starts like it should. The correct condenser is a must and yes it's special to those engines.
. side note . you may want to trace out the ground wire and unhook it from the key until you verify the proper function of switch so you don't back feed the magneto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! It lives. The issue was the wrong switch back feeding the condenser. New points, condenser, and switch and it fired right up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Stevens110, what is so special about the "vapor condenser" that Deere wants 30.00 for it? yikes! What would happen if you try to use a different condenser? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts