Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1972 JD140 H3 ... Southwest Wisconsin

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  leisure67 
#1 ·
Tractor s/n T0586041510M

Wouldn't stay running when I bought it last weekend. Today I removed the air cleaner assembly. The nut that hold the bowl on the carb was covered with turpentine like goo. I removed the main jet and sprayed the carb throat and main jet tube with carb cleaner. Tractor now starts and continues to run without additional choke. That's the good news. Bad news is the engine rattles like H. Also, the regulator connectors got hot and started to melt. The steering is also extremely loose. Tractor is going to need mucho TLC.

Spoke with Jim about the spring under the float in these vintage tractors (M47422). The purpose of that spring was to hold the float open when driving the tractor over rough ground. The float had a tendency of open/close when operated on rough ground causing the engine to stutter. I did not remove the bowl to see if carb had this spring installed. I do need to adjust the carb so it runs correct.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
#2 ·
Ah but yes Gabby, it is a good project, they all need a little, or a lot, of TLC. The 300K I bought smoked and rattled like crazy and leaked oil. I suspected the PO was using detergent oil so I drained and changed to straight 30 and it behaves much better, not perfect, just better.

#3 ·
Now for the really bad news.

Adjusted the carb settings as recommended
... main jet 1 1/2 turns out
... low idle jet 2 turns out

Engine was making too much noise to run at full throttle so I could not fine tune the adjustments. When I was walking around to opposite side of tractor there was a loud bang Engine shut down but continued to rotate to stop. Suspect I broke the rod. I don't see a hole in the block. Hope it is still rebuildable. Work is done on this tractor for a while.

Back to work on the 420, 332, and/or 120.

#4 ·
Oh man, sorry to hear the bad news. It's just a motor, you can rebuild/replace that. On the bright side, you still have a 140 H3.

#5 · (Edited)
I will tear this one down myself to see what failed and if it can be rebuilt.

I did check with Deere dealer if M47822 float spring was still available. It can be ordered through Vintage Parts. Price is $17; shipping is $18. That is $35 for a flimsy spring. I have never been fond of Vintage Parts.

• Wow
Reactions: ronrhatch
#7 ·
Just hope I did not scar up the cylinder. Didn't hear anything flopping around inside so am hoping all is well.

Tractor came with no cowel over the grille screen. Tonight I removed the cowel from the 120 and mounted it on the 140. The hood was banged up and broken around the front lip. I used super glue to reattach broken parts into correct location. Will now take some bondo to hood to finish cleaning it up. Tractor is also missing the front electric pto. I have a pto on a parts KT17 engine. Not sure if it will fit on the K321.

I had a cowl with headlights I bought to install on the 120. I got those bolted on the 120 tonight also.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
#9 ·
I can fix it. All it takes is money. Government hasn't taken it all yet.

#11 ·
Spoke with Todd today about something else he has for sale. He may have a 14Hp engine needing rebuild to replace engine in this 140 I need to tear down this engine first to see if it can be rebuilt.

I thought I had a box full of seat springs. I found three. Need six to rework flip over seat bases. Was going to work on those today but that project on hold until I find springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.