I wanted to share my story about my 110 restoration. The first picture is my dad on the day he purchased his John Deere 110, April 26, 1972. It has a 10HP Kohler and a 47” mower deck.
I was 9 years old then and would spend many hours on this 110 for the next 10 to 15 years. The 110 was always kept in a garage. It was not in bad shape and just had the engine rebuilt by the dealer when my mom offered me the 110 after it started to develop a transaxle oil leak. I have a 216 to do my mowing so the old 110 set in my garage for a few years. Spring 2010 I started to rebuild the transaxle. I replaced the axles, seals, bearings, compression springs and balls on the forks and gaskets. After the transaxle was reassembled I painted it and installed it back in the 110. The nice new paint on the transaxle made me want to paint the rest of the 110. The frame inside / under and the motor were in good shape so I didn’t do a complete teardown of this 110. I did a lot of masking when I sprayed everything else. I used a spray gun with paint and hardener from Tractor Supply.
The fiberglass hood had a few cracks and nicks that I re-glassed / patched with Bondo and sanded.
I purchased new battery cables and fuel tank gauge from the dealer. The rims were removed sand blasted and painted. All new bearings and tires. Most of the new decals came from HAPCO but I did get the decals for the fender deck and fuel tank from the dealer. I also got a carburetor rebuild kit and the seat cover from HAPCO. So far I have about $900 to $1K in the project (labor of love). I have started some work on the mower desk. Bearings, pulleys and spindles all look good so I will spray later this year or next and install new decals from HAPCO.
When I am all done I don’t see me every using this 110 to mow the yard. I have told my wife she can use it to pull her wagon around the yard and plant flowers.