Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this 1972 112 from TiredDeere210, I have done some work of putting it back together.I got it to run and drive but the wiring in this is a mess to say the least.What should I do?
-Tommy

Attachments

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Use the schematic and make a new harness from scratch...those wiring harnesses from Deere are NLA. Had to do this with my 216 restore project. You can also check the auction site, but buying used electrical stuff is iffy at best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if im going to make a new harness what gauge wire should i use?, where am I going to find the odd connecters that hook to the circuit breakers?,ect.
-Tommy

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I sourced the ignition switch thru Deere, about $6 I think, and used the old sound connectors from the 216's original harness...cleaned them up with CNC electrical spray cleaner. The circuit breaker connectors can be regular round flat type, secured with a small nut. Seems like I used 12-ga marine wire, and 10-ga wire for the long red wire. Use the old harness as a template, you can color code the wires any way you want. I did the 216 harness b4 the current inflation cycle so prices are no doubt higher now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess don’t judge a book by its cover, everything in the wiring harness worked except the headlights. Had to do some cleanup and make things pretty. And re-installed the fuel tank and put new fuel lines in.
-Tommy

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know where I can get the piece of metal that covers the starter?My brother says it’s removable but where would I even find one to replace it?
-Tommy

·
Registered
642 Posts
It looks like you have made a lot of progress. As for the harness, the wiring on those old electric lift models is significantly more complicated than what is used on the manual lift models. There is a company, Agri-Services (Wire Harness Fabrication | Alden, NY), that specializes in making aftermarket harnesses for hundreds of different tractor models including many of the older John Deeres. I am including a page out of their current catalog that lists some of the JD L&G tractor harnesses including the electric lift 112 models (see below). However, if you start down the path of replacing your existing harness, I think you will quickly discover that it will snowball into forcing you to replace any other non-stock electrical components that are currently being utilized. As an example, the two fuse holders are not stock and would originally have been circuit breakers. It's possible some of the other switches might not be stock and may require replacement in order to accomodate the OEM harness connectors. Moral of the story, sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.

As for the guard, I believe what you will be needing is a replacement flywheel cover tin. The main guard has an extension that covers the starter bendix but there is also a secondary cover that mounts on top of the primary flywheel cover to prevent physical contact with the flywheel fins.

Font Parallel Document Paper Monochrome

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Your signature is no longer accurate bud.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Where is my credit for being your unpaid electrician? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DEERE317
1 - 15 of 15 Posts