Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any pictures of the heavy duty air cleaners mounted on a rear engine rider (66 68), I see the pictures in the parts book, but can't figure out how they mounted it & still got the cover on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have owned a 1974 110 for a couple of years ( traded for some work i did for a guy). i recently ran into what i think is a deal on a 1972 110. i bought the tractor and deck for $40.00 the seller told me that it needed a head gasket, and he started to take it apart, but just lost interest. i the motor is out of it, and i have a box full of parts. i started to clean it up and bought a new head gasket, and intend to take it all apart and restore it. the first problem i have is the head bolts. there appears to be one or more studs instead of regular bolts, and it looks like one holds a clip for the plug wire. can anyone tell me if there are any other studs used instead of bolts? i have been reading many of the posts here for some time, and really appreciate all the people who are willing to share their knowledgd about these tractors. the p.t.o. linkage is also off but in the box of parts. i'll try to include pics., but not too computer savy.
thanks for any help
tom

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
There generally is a stud used in there somewhere's. My K301's have had them, but I generally remove that and simply use all 3/8th" grade #8 cap-screws. I use a bolt on the starter mount for the ground cable.

If you look at the jdparts.com website you'll see what is what or buy a parts manual from any number of sources and that is at your finger tips 24/7

If you take this thing apart for restoration/repairs as you have stated,you will have to have a reference. Either your on-line connection or the manual.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Tom
I have a '72 110 manual lift. I will look tonight. I replaced the head/bolts on mine several years ago due to stripped plug threads, but don't remember if there were any studs.

Based on JD Parts there were 4 studs & 3 bolts for 110s up to SN 252,832 and 1 stud & 6 bolts for SN 252,833 & up
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Scott and John. I have 4 cap screws that came in a box with teh tractor. The previous owner said that it needed a head gasket, and he took it apart, so I'n not sure what goes where. I'm just starting to put it back together, and will probablly have many questions. It's great to be able to ask someone who is familiar with these tractors.
Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Tom,
Here is picture of my 110. Red circles are studs.
Whether it makes a difference to location, I'm not sure. I don't remember if I payed attention to location when I put new head on it

John

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
The reason the studs were there was so you could bolt on the hydraulic lift pump. If you do not have one of those the location isn't critical. If you do the studs need to be where the circles are to use it. Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.