Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1973 140 H3 - correct colors for grill, etc.

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to paint my '73 140 H3 (not a Patio version) and had to buy a grill that has been repainted several times. Is there any reference as to what the original front grill was painted, along with the rest of the tractor? And if it is black is it a gloss black or a flat black? I prefer the black but want it correct for the year. there are so many pics on google I don't know which ones are correct.

One last question - does the Tremclad or Valspar knock offs come close to the correct JD paint? What do folks use as a prep cleaner prior to sanding and priming?

Thanks!!!

Spud

#3 ·
Good questions Spud!

I believe the grill color changed to black when the engine color changed to black so in your case the grill should be black. I painted the grill and engine tins on my 120 with John Deere Blitz Black in a can. I used JD Muffler black on the block as it handles heat. I am happy with the way it looks over 3 years later and I use it on a regular basis.

I used Valspar and Deere paint on my tractor and you cannot tell a difference between the two. IIRC Valspar makes paint for Deere.

#4 ·
Not sure about the 140's,but 110's and 112's were green until 69,in 70 everything went black

#5 ·
Early 1969 140`s still had green grill`s. They then switched to black midyear 1969.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for the help. Glad to hear the Valspar is similar, as it sure is less expensive. I'm going black to be same as original....I like the black better too so that solidifies it :thumb: . thanks for the pic Kevin....the green is nice too.

When you guys paint a hood or parts of the tractor do you clear coat, or is that overkill?

#9 ·
Just who are you trying to please? Do it the way YOU like and don't worry about what anybody else thinks. I don't know but read somewhere that Valspar made John Deere's paint but as of last year don't anymore. I like the black too, and I've seen a couple of tractors done in black and that is what I'm going to do to the next one I paint. I may do the grill green but probably won't.

#10 ·
Thanks Shady - I'm trying to please myself who likes to have it restored to the original colors to match. Looks like I'm going black, which I believe looks better. I would have done green if it was the original as it would have bothered me not matching.

I've seen the black Darth VaDeere tractors and are pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.