Weekend Freedom Machines banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere 400
132 Posts
I have a pointsaver and a new condenser. Guess I need to start hooking up new parts instead of testing old on the 120.
You don't have a new condenser installed with the pointsaver, do you? The pointsaver takes the place of the condenser. Here is the instruction schematic:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Mine are mounted up front. I have pictures that I need to locate when I had pan off. Here's pics with pan on. My SN #54904.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Last night I did a search for "73 JD 140" and looked through the photos that were attached. My original deck has a slot (about 1/2" by 1 1/2") just inside the right seat spring that I do not know what it is for. I saw this slot in some photos and not in other photos. The big difference between the 2 decks I have is the hole for the transmission bypass valve screw on the newer deck. Both decks appear to have same mounts. I did see that mount isolators are mounted in the oversize holes through the square hole in the front of the fender deck. It just does not look like a good design for attaching the deck. Also still have not figured out why there was an isolator mounted in middle of deck but not provision to bolt it down. There is even a piece of foam with cut out to clear the isolator?

My original deck needs weld repair. Since tractor is not being restored to be a beauty queen I will live with the weld/braze repair but want it to be robust. That rules out me making the weld repair.

Also fixing cracks in hood right now.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks for the photos lt230s. Do you know what is used under the deck as spacer/isolator? I understand use of a carriage bolt as the hole in the deck is a square hole/

JD400, I have not installed your pointsaver as I had ordered a new condenser. I did not order new points Need to get those then work again on getting it started.

Getting carried away with clean up and spray paint.

Gabby

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Thanks for the photos lt230s. Do you know what is used under the deck as spacer/isolator? I understand use of a carriage bolt as the hole in the deck is a square hole
Gabby, I have pictures of it off just gotta locate them. Hopefully have something later today or this evening after work.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you know what is used under the deck as spacer/isolator? I understand use of a carriage bolt as the hole in the deck is a square hole/
The set up is like this from the top down: carriage bolt - fender deck - large rubber donut - frame - large rubber donut - fender washer - lock washer - nut. That smaller center rubber piece goes through the frame and the 2 rubber donuts and gets clamped by the fender deck and the bottom fender washer. Hopefully that makes sense.

Not much to see to get a pic on one that's assembled.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So the metal spacer (M42812) is not used? The isolator just kind of wobbles around in the oversized hole?

·
Registered
85 Posts
So the metal spacer (M42812) is not used? The isolator just kind of wobbles around in the oversized hole?
the metal bushing goes inside the rubber bushing so you don’t crush the rubber bushings when you tighten it down. The isolator in the middle of the deck is so when you step up on the deck it won’t flex down onto the driveshaft. The slot inside the springs is for the wire for adjusting the seat forward and back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
By having the front bushing loose, it can float around a bit and not crack the fender like it would if it was tight.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
BP, that makes sense to me but does not agree with the parts catalog. I understand the isolators in the middle being a support and will install the one I have and need buy one large isolator the spacer, and bushing for the left side. I do not know what broke up the fender deck I have but it had seen serious flexing. There is a crack along the radius on rear of deck as well as two cracks, originating at each corner of the pto cutout. Here is the original deck. It did not have the slide mechanism but I do have the parts to add to the deck,
DSCN1800.JPG DSCN1801.JPG DSCN1802.JPG DSCN1804.JPG
Following is the earlier deck I have. I don't remember if the 120 has bypass valve linkage through the deck, If not I may use this deck on the 120. If it does it will probably be sold/traded for parts.
DSCN1799.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have taillights you will have to run a ground wire between the fender and the frame since the fender is mounted on rubber and no metal to metal. I just ran a short wire between the top and bottom on one of the rear isolators. By the way the fender from the 317 mounts exactly the same, so you might still have some of the parts from when you took that apart?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Gabby, I looked thru all my pictures and can't find one with fender deck off. I apologize for thinking I had one.
I would crawl underneath and remove but it's 95 here and too humid for that. Sorry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you put the front bolts in, put a magnet on them and it will hold the washers on so you can start the nut without having to worry about them falling out, it’s tight in there.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
lt230s ... No need to do that. I know how I am going to proceed. Tomorrow I am taking the original fender deck done to Denny for him to wave his maginc wand (welding rod) over the deck to repair the cracks. It will then get sanded and spray painted. I took the rear guard off this afternoon and it also needs some weld repair.

bp140 ... will do with the magnet

Thanks guys.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take the mower height adjuster off also so you can slide it under the hydraulic controls easier. You still might scratch it up a little bit but can touch it up after it is on.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Assume you mean to access control valve which I see the edit disappeared.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Matt, I have a couple different seat suspensions I would like to try to make fit. One does not have slides but I have slides I think could be added to the suspension. That part of the project is quite a ways down the road at this time. Today I want to get the fender deck to weld shop to see if it is worth saving.

Does not look like we will be making it to Portage this weekend. Have fun there. There is a lot to see.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
thanks Gabby, I hope to make it there on saturday at least.

will be watching the weld deck pics as the 140 I got from Nate that fender deck needs some welding repair but not worried about that till I have the tractor running and moving first then will worry about cosmetic repairs if/when I need to due them. Next weekend/night after work I am home and its to hot outside to work on things the tractor is due up on the spend time on list. Hookup up the solenid hook up Coil and Condensor change out points and spin it over and spray some starter fluid at it and find out if I can get it to pop off.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Where do you get your points Matt?

81 - 100 of 145 Posts