Weekend Freedom Machines banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Where do you get your points Matt?

he's got some great youtube videos on how to's on things as well and prices seem pretty good to me.

the 74 I have got points and coil and condesor from him and its been working without any problems.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Been down and out a few days. The old ticker is rebeling. Time to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back to work.

I did get the fender deck to Dennis for weld repair. Have not been back to Deere dealer to order remainder of isolator parts needed to mount the deck. I am getting to point where tractor needs to go indoors so I can remove the rear wheels and check out the brakes then repaint the exterior of the frame. Unless I decide not to repaint the fender deck and allow it to become a rust bucket which is not my preference.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Gabby, You need to learn to pace yourself... as much as you're going to hate it! I think (??) my ticker is OK, but I KNOW my back is not! After 15 minutes of bending, my back hurts pretty bad, a half hour and I can barely walk! I now do whatever for 15 minutes or until I feel my back get tender/hurt, and STOP. About half later I can go back to whatever for another 15 minutes. It really sucks, but better than the pain! It may take 2 or 3 days to do what you remember doing what you use to do in 2 or 3 hours, but your still doing! I can guarantee if you get the tractor inside, it won't be upset because it had to wait 2 weeks...or months!... to be repainted.
TAKE IT EASY! Bob

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
Keep that ticker ticking Gabby, the Deere herd needs your years of expertise and advice. Anything we can do to help?

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Time for the rest of the story. I fell a couple of weeks ago. Was outside putting things away after dark and tripped over a flower pot. Fell down hill, did one roll and came up on my feet. I would have scored it 2-3 for form and grace. I did land on my side so I may have cracked a rib. Done that before and that is what it feels like. To make matters worse I did mow the yard in town this week; 3-4 hours of push mowing (self propelled Toro) and weeding flower weeds. A couple of times I had to take a break from push mowing as ticker was objecting to the activity. I did finish everything that day but a day or two later is when the pain began in my left chest. So, it could have been the fall or other activities. Been outside this morning weeding the Japanese Iris bed. You're right bending over and then standing up I feel a little dizzy. Like I said time to get over it and move on.

Here is a couple more photos. Fixng cracks in the hood using JB Weld and guard that cracked that needs some repair before painting.
DSCN1806.JPG DSCN1807.JPG DSCN1808.JPG DSCN1809.JPG

• Sad

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
I know what you mean by falling causing pain. I was playing softball with the grandkids a couple months ago and stumbled trying to field a grounder, landed square on my shoulder, it hasn't been right since. I am reluctant to go to the doctor, at some point I will have to. I am stubborn.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Fair skies, following seas Gabby.
Tom, drag yourself into the doc. I put off my naggy left shoulder twinge for 6 months, thinking it would mend itself. It didn't. Doc wound up rebuilding the rotator cuff twice, said if I had come in earlier he could have done it laporascopically...with the magic wand. Live and learn, especially when your carcass is involved.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I have cracked ribs before Tmac. Doctor prescribes a painkiller and has me check back in 3 months. I am a tough old bird and don't need painkillers. It will go away someday.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Picked up repaired fender deck this afternoon. Denny sprayed some green paint on it to see how it would look after it is sand blasted and painted. He filled in the missing material from the slide slot and was willing to close up the holes where there had been a cab mounted on the deck but I told him the holes were ok. The repaired deck is not showroom quality and I do not need it to be pristine.
DSCN1811.JPG DSCN1812.JPG
Some asked for photos of this repair. Is this good enough?

Reactions: DEERE317 and lt230s

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Went back out to the garage after supper to put the car away. Hail and heavy thunderstorm predicted for tonight.

Spent some time straightening the lower rear edge (left picture above). It was bent out of shape. Besides these dents and the cracked sheet metal the deck is fairly good condition.

I am not sure this deck is supposed to have the brackets welded to the underside for the seat adjuster. They are missing and I will not be able to install the slide mechanism. That is ok as I have 2 or 3 seat suspensions I should be able to install slide mechanisms on the suspension. This would also eliminate the original seat springs. I know that is not ;typical of me but I want to see what it looks like and how well is works. I will probably do this on a bench before the fender deck gets painted.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Laurie and I where in Dubuque when storm went thru earlier today. I did not see any wind damage but everything on front porch of house was wet. Does not happen during a shower.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I set the fender deck on the tractor. Doesn't look to bad.. I need to adjust angle of the fill tube as it is not lined up with hole in deck. Also set the seat springs on the deck to get an idea if seat suspension I have will fit the deck. The deck is sloped toward the front so I will need to build a platform that is taller in front for the suspension to sit on.

Will post photo later ... camera is out in the garage.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Back in the house to look up a part number for some parts I found.They were the bushings that are used on closed frame tractors to mount tiller or 3ph on rear of tractors. I threw them in the box of parts to mount on the 140 later.

Here is the fender deck ...
DSCN1821.JPG DSCN1822.JPG DSCN1823.JPG DSCN1824.JPG
Used a maul under bottom rear of deck and a ball peen hammer to straighten the rear of the fender deck. During final assembly 3rd function lines and couplers will be added. I have a cover for rear opening for tiller pto, Cover has been temporarily misplaced. It is probably with my feel gauge.

Front isolators look like they are going to work.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Doing more cleaning in the garage last night. Found a set of AM35000 points in original Kohler packaging. Probably bought them for one of the 112's but will use them on the 140 so I can get the points cover back on. Need to do some diagnostic work again. I have lost power to the headlights but the starter still works.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Gabby, In case you don't know this trick, go to Fastenal, or someplace, and get a socket head or button head cap screw, 10-24x3/8". Install & a flat washer this in the bottom tapped hole for the points cover. Snip/grind a slot on the bottom hole of the points cover. The cover can not be easily slipped over the bottom screw and screws tightened. Yes, you'll need an allen wrench and a screwdriver, but the allen wrench is easier to get onto the hex! Bob

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Thanks Bob. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
the cover was not reinstalled earlier because I needed the gasket and there was the possibility I would need to remove it again to replace the points. Yes, that cover can be a pain in the pa-toot (strange spell check recognizes pa-toot). I have points and gasket so I can reassemble this now.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts