Weekend Freedom Machines banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
He-he. That mod was something I read in converting 140 electronic engines to battery & points. I bought a used 314 in '82 and lost it in a divorce in 2010. It ran fine the day I lost it and in the 28 years that I had it, I never touched the points...or the spark plug for that matter! I'm certain what the mod does, but no hands on experience here! Bob

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
These are the two isolators that attach under rear of fender deck I used to be able to buy these at Farm & Fleet, a local Ag department store. Couldn't find them again. Had t o buy them at Deere dealer. $12.10 a piece. I see I could have gotten then from Grainger. Depending on weight spec (5/16-18 thread) $3.00 for 50 pounders up to $44 for 185 pounders.

Also ordered center isolator parts for one side. Parts for other side were still in tractor. Dealer says it could be up to 3 weeks to get them.

Suppose that means I need to get the deck to Links to get it sand blasted. Then a couple of cans of Deere primer. I have enough Deere Green on hand.
DSCN1828.JPG

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Don't know what happened to the photo. Will reattach.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Took the fender deck in to get it sand blasted. Forgot to remove the rear isolators so brought it home again. Want to get it in sand blasting. Don't know yet about powder coat or paint. Might spray paint it to compare cost with 318 fender deck.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Today I removed outer brake pedal and linkage to the right rear wheel. Most of it has been cleaned up. Link and spring are painted; still need to remove rubber cushion from the brake pedal and paint the pedal and cushion mounting brackets and the latch that locks the 2 pedals. I would like to get the right rear wheel off but my jack is at rural property being used to fix flat on X485.

I also got the fender deck rear isolators removed. The deck is ready to go to sand blaster.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Today I took the 140 fender deck and a 318 fender deck/engine side shields into the big city for sand blasting and powder coating. I requested they call me before powder coating as I may want to spray paint the 140 deck. We will see if I get that call.

The business that does the sand blasting for Premier Powder Coating has purchased the powder coating business. We will see how there prices compare to previous parts I have had powder coated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Gabby, a reputable powdercoater should do their own sandblasting. That is the problem with fender decks on the 318s. The surface of the metal needs to have some amount of texture and be free of oxidation for the best adhesion of the powder. I have seen and learned from the guy doing my rzr cages this is important. Wouldn’t hurt to ask questions.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
For now the sandblasting and powdercoating are done at two different locations. Powdercoating building and installation is in process at the same site as sandblasting and other hydraulic and truck repair work. In a couple months it will all be on one site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tractor is a 1973 JD 140 H3 s/n T0586047122.
View attachment 267131
Today I decided to do more than look at my 140 when I walk into the garage.

First goal is to get it started
  • No starter on engine. I had a new aftermarket starter in inventory so installed the starter and connected battery cable
  • Engine oil looks fresh and at full level
  • Poured about gallon of fresh gas/seafoam mixture in tank.
  • Shot of starting fluid in carb.
  • Connected power pack to battery ... cranks over at acceptable speed that should start engine.
  • Got out my multimeter.
    • Ignition switch tests ok ... Didn't test to make sure it does not crank when transmision is engaged.
    • Ammeter ?
    • Neutral safety switch ok
    • PTO switch ok. ... Clicks when I engage the pto and engine will not crank when engaged.
    • Seat switch? ... I don't see one on wiring diagram.
    • 12v at both primary and seconday poles on the coil.
    • 12v to the starter solenoid.
    • Starter relay clicks when I engage starter
    • No spark at the spark plug.
    • I have not tested to see if I have 12v at the points.
  • I need to test points circuit to see if that is why engine will no fire.
It needs a new muffler. I have one but not installed. When I cranked over the engine with old muffler insulation blew out of the muffler.

Trying to get it running tonight yet.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I bought a 140 mower deck a couple of years ago and restored it. Was not on this tractor.

I also have a model 49 tall chute I am going to restore and keep to put on either the 120/140/318. I keep restoring this things and selling them. This one is going to get a model 50 chute rotator installed so need at least H2 hydraulics so will not work on the 120 unless I do some update to that tractor.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Link Hydraulic called and parts are sandblasted.
  • $150 sand blast and powder coat 318 fender deck and engine side shields
  • $25 more for sand blast and powder coat the 140 deck,
It will take 2-3 cans of Deere green spray paint to do the 140 deck. I told them to send all 4 pieces to powder coat. They are spray Deere green today so parts should be ready to pick up early next week.

I still have a 420 fender deck and side shields to go to powdercoat but they are not cleaned up and ready to go.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sounds fair enough on price to me. Especially if they do a good job and apply plenty of powder.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Laurie has Dr. appointment tomorrow so will take the truck to pick up the powder coated parts. I went to Deere dealer today and picked up the last of isolators I need to mount the deck. Also picked up 3 cans of TY25638 semi gloss black paint. The paint was $29.64 w/o sales tax or 9.88 per can. If I had painted the 140 deck myself it would have taken at least 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of black paint or $40.00 for paint. guess $25 for powder coat wasn't that bad of a deal. I will know for sure tomorrow when I pay the sand blast/powder coat bill.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Are you getting the 140 mower deck done in green or yellow?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Fender deck is green. Mower deck is yellow. The black I bought today is for misc. parts.

Mower deck is already restored and sitting on a rack.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I picked up the freshly powder coated parts this morning. Very upset about the job they did. Powder Coat company (previously Premier Powder Coat) has new owner. The new owner did the sand blasting for Premier and now the complete process is done by one company and will soon be done at one location. This new company needs to get its s%&* together.

Here is the 140 fender deck. It is probably the best of the 4 pieces I took in.
DSCN1844.JPG DSCN1845.JPG
Sheen is good but the powder coat is rough from sand in the powder coat. Surface was not cleaned properly before applying the powder coat. Second photo you can see a large clump of sand under the powder coat.

These photos are engine side shields and fender deck for a 318.
DSCN1837.JPG DSCN1838.JPG DSCN1839.JPG DSCN1840.JPG DSCN1841.JPG DSCN1843.JPG
The finish dull and again full of sand particles. The 4th photo shows side shield with exhaust opening. You can see at least three clumps of sand under the powder coat. It appears they sand blasted with to high air pressure and caused pits in the base metal. And the worst situation is the sand blaster blew holes in the fender deck left floor board. This should have been caught when the parts were being prepped before applying the powder coat.

Time to go raise h--- again. I don't feel this job was worth $350.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I picked up the freshly powder coated parts this morning. Very upset about the job they did. Powder Coat company (previously Premier Powder Coat) has new owner. The new owner did the sand blasting for Premier and now the complete process is done by one company and will soon be done at one location. This new company needs to get its s%&* together.

Here is the 140 fender deck. It is probably the best of the 4 pieces I took in.
View attachment 269166 View attachment 269167
Sheen is good but the powder coat is rough from sand in the powder coat. Surface was not cleaned properly before applying the powder coat. Second photo you can see a large clump of sand under the powder coat.

These photos are engine side shields and fender deck for a 318.
View attachment 269168 View attachment 269169 View attachment 269170 View attachment 269171 View attachment 269172 View attachment 269174
The finish dull and again full of sand particles. The 4th photo shows side shield with exhaust opening. You can see at least three clumps of sand under the powder coat. It appears they sand blasted with to high air pressure and caused pits in the base metal. And the worst situation is the sand blaster blew holes in the fender deck left floor board. This should have been caught when the parts were being prepped before applying the powder coat.

Time to go raise h--- again. I don't feel this job was worth $350.
Wow, I would be pretty upset as well!!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That sux the big one. Dang it. Go raise some hell. I sure would. Get it recorded as well. You just might need it If it is admissible in court.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Gabby, hate to hear you got a poor quality job. The holes in the fender pan were not caused by the sand blasting. Rust being removed by the sand blasting made them appear. They probably should have called you to come look at them before coating to decide if you wanted to repair or replace. They sound like they have a few things to learn.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts