Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size is the big nut in the center with the cotter pin thru it? Refering of course to the rear axle. Want to pick up a socket for mine I found a WiFi hotspot thought I might be able to get some help here. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can't resist: the big nut in the center is generally the operator...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob, Jay lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi fellow deere enthusiasts.I am wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem I have with my 455. After about 45 minutes of mowing my 455 begins to spit and and eventually dies out. If I let it sit for awhile It with run again for about the same duration of time. When I tried it the last time when it began to act up I turn off the PTO (no load)and it sputtered for about 45 seconds and totally recovered and ran at full RPMS. Could this be a fuel issue or electrical issue? Any help would be appreciated Thanks. Mark.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fuel delivery is the most common diesel issue. Check or replace the filter, and be sure no water is present. \

The pump or in-take fuel line may also be a source of problems with these. Unfortunately, the fender pan has to come off to check that line.

It is also possible, but not likely that the fuel shutoff is not staying open.

Check the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
571 Posts
One of my 455's was acting the same. I finally checked the pickup screen in the fuel tank and it was TOTALLY plugged. Washed it out with carb cleaner and that fixed it.

George of Buford

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. George you hit the nail on the head. I removed the fender deck and pulled out the fuel pump and found the fuel screen almost completely plugged up. Cleaned it with carb cleaner and I'm ready to roll! Thanks again Mark

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mark,

Yeah, I am pretty good with a hammer.

I almost ordered a NEW tank filter until I saw the price. $22.51. A little carb cleaner worked just fine.

George of Buford

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Gents, how hard is it to do this job? I'm familiar with taking the fender deck off, so that doesn't scare me. Are there any gaskets or anything that need replacing?

I'm not having any troubles, but after 15 years I'm betting there's some gunk on the screen, and I'd rather clean it when it's warm out.

Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tim, it's pretty easy once the fender deck is off. The ring around around the entry point of the lines into the tank just screws off. I've had mine off several times and put it back with the same gaskets every time so far. Seem to recall it's actually an o-ring instead of a conventional gasket.

·
Registered
571 Posts
TimS,

There is an o-ring on the M112601 ring that will seal the pump from leaking. I know I got the o-ring part number from JD parts, but the M112601 is NLA.

Well.............. I just so happen to have five of them in stock.

The part number is:
AS568-239 RR803 -239 ORING 75 Duron Brown FKM

These o-rings are made of VITON which is the latest and greatest material for ULSD or biodiesel. The existing black o-rings are probably neoprene and get soft when exposed to ULSD. I always replace the old ones when I look at the fuel pump.

You should buy them off $Bay which is where I got mine. With the part number, NAPA may be able to get them.

George of Buford

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.