Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the steering wheel on a 1975 300 series, an early model.I have removed the nut at the center of the wheel and tried a puller to remove the wheel.
I am afraid to apply to much pressure with the puller, any suggestions
Many thanks in advance for help
Dave

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Also, put the nut back on flush with the end thread before installing the puller. This helps prevent the wheel from coming off unexpectedly with puller, etc. causing damage to you or the machine. Also will keep the end of the threads round and the shaft from splitting. Some good penetrating oil and light taps to the puller drive end with a hammer may help. I also highly recommend the bearing splitter with the puller to avoid wheel damage.

tommyhawk

· Registered
8,979 Posts
More than one way to skin a cat. One time I used a lift strap and my 3 ton engine crane to remove the wheel on a 400. It was refusing to come off so I wrapped a strap around the hub, lifted the tractor up off the floor an inch or so and walloped the steering shaft/nut. The wheel came right off. I also removed one unexpectedly. I took the nut off and sat on the seat and gave the wheel a mighty upward yank 'just to see'. To my surprise it came flying off like it was rocket powered. I instinctively threw it backwards over my head so it didn't get me in the yapper. It went rolling out the bay door whilst I sat there with what I've always assumed was a WTF! look on my face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts