Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the 420 package with attachments I picked up a few weeks ago.

Tractor is a 1983 (s/n M00420X224721).
  • 1317.0 hours on tractor when purchased.
  • Engine was replaced in 2004 at 868.0 hrs
  • Rear pto was not reinstalled in 2004 when engine was replaced
  • Tractor also has 3PH installed
Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Automotive exterior
Font Art Machine Wood Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font Automotive exterior
Hood Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Tire

Model 50 mower deck ... s/n M01012X506229

Model 44 loader ... s/n TY0044A001952
Two model 46 snow throwers
  • Short chute ... s/n M00062X488094
  • Tall chute ... s/n M00062X59512(X) cannot determine last number of s/n
Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Road surface Yellow
Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Gas Paint
Font Triangle Gas Grass Number

The tractor starts and runs well but needs extensive TLC. Likewise, the attachments are in dire need of TLC.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I haven't had much opportunity to use the tractor on any projects other than to carry parts between garage and storage bin across the street. Items I have found thus far that require attention include:
  • Rear of fender deck needs straightening and tail lights installed
  • Tail lights do no work so need to do some wiring work.
  • Need to look for rear pto harness connection. Will probably for time being use it as a switched rear electrical connector (maybe for a strobe light I already have).
  • Seat switch does not work.
  • Seat suspension is broke and needs weld repair.
  • Front pto does not engage correct to run the loader pump. Electrical repair.
  • Front grille is dented and bent out of shape. Needs straightening.
  • Need to install new head light lens. Lights work ok.
  • Loader is in serious need of high pressure wash to clean off grease/oily residue.
  • Loader pump hose routing needs improvement.
  • Loader hoses in poor shape ... some will need to be replaced.
  • Rear tires are filled with windshield washer fluid. I plan to swap rear starter and double notch cast iron weights from the 332 to the 420.
  • Left front tire keeps going flat. Tire is visually worn much more than right front tire. I plan on replacing the left tire instead of just repairing leak. I may buy two front rims and mount V61 tires for loader work. I like the V61 tires for loader work but beyond that not a fan of those tires.
  • Steering is extremely loose. Will need to service steering linkage.
  • Battery light stays on?
  • Replace seat.
  • EDIT: Boom and bucket lines are reversed on control valve. Bucket rollback/Dump are boom raise/lower.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,670 Posts
Wow Gabby, that is quite the nice haul!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got this from the friend of a member here. I had met the owner some time ago when he would pick up or deliver parts between the member and I. In fact the rims on the rear of this tractor I sold to seller 3-4 years ago so I just bought my rims back. Package was never advertised because seller did not want the hassle of advertising and potential buyers low-balling him so they came to me to help sell it, I checked with some friends/co-workers I thought may be interested but no takers. Asking price was fair enough that before I bought it I asked the seller if he was sure of his asking price. I was more afraid of a scrapper who would low-ball him and then part it out due to the condition. Yes, I did get a good deal on it but seller and I were both happy with transaction. I didn't need more projects but they just come knocking.

Not going to tear it down for restoration. Just going to start by working on the list in my 2nd post. I will have the 332 with loader to use until it gets sold. Hope I can move that fairly quickly.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used the 420 yesterday to bring a couple pair of 23x10.5-12 wheels to the garage to show potential buyer. While waiting to buyer I started some of the simple work on the 420. Had a new headlight lens that I installed and did some straightening on the grille and fender deck. Grille and fender deck need more work. Damaged grille was causing problems opening the hood. That problem is resolved.
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When I put the tractor away last night I notice front tire was going flat again. Issue is becoming a PIA. This needs to be a priority one resolution.

Is 8x7 3.5" hub with SAE 1" bearing correct rim for front wheels on a 1983 420?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but simply put just more projects for the job jar. You know how it goes with multiple 140's

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yes, but simply put just more projects for the job jar. You know how it goes with multiple 140's
you better get crackin on things, Greenhouse season is coming up and you'll have a Job like most of the rest of us!

or are you not doing the Greenhosue work again?

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
403 Posts
Awesome 420! And a 50” deck for it? I’m pretty sure those are quite rare! Nice find! Sounds like an awesome project tractor

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could have swore the deck was a 60" but the s/n indicates a 50", Not sure I will ever use it because I already mow yard in town with a X720 and country I use a X485. I will repair it and clean it up but doubt it will get used. I will keep it just so if/when I sell the 420 I will have the deck to go with it.

Matt, I am retired from greenhouse work. No work this spring except projects and I have a lot of work to do at my rural lot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats. That is a neat 420 package. I could see it being a very handy workhorse.

Is that the exhaust coming out through the front grill? Is that the usual location?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that is the exhaust for the replacement engine. Seller was able to get the invoice for the replacement engine bought from and replaced by a Deere dealer. Kit part number KO-PX-64726JD420KIT apparently is what was available to dealer's in December 2004. Air cleaner says it is a Command 20 Kohler engine. Not the typical Onan P220 engine. The right side engine shield has the cutout for the Onan engine exhaust.

When I was straightening the grille the other day it is dented inward. When I straightened that area of the grille there was interference between muffler and grille. It will need some more work. I may need to figure out a muffler extension. The round bezel around the bezel is just pop-riveted to the grille bars and will likely need some service also.

Reactions: 1966JD110RF

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yes, that is the exhaust for the replacement engine. Seller was able to get the invoice for the replacement engine bought from and replaced by a Deere dealer. Kit part number KO-PX-64726JD420KIT apparently is what was available to dealer's in December 2004. Air cleaner says it is a Command 20 Kohler engine. Not the typical Onan P220 engine. The right side engine shield has the cutout for the Onan engine exhaust.

When I was straightening the grille the other day it is dented inward. When I straightened that area of the grille there was interference between muffler and grille. It will need some more work. I may need to figure out a muffler extension. The round bezel around the bezel is just pop-riveted to the grille bars and will likely need some service also.
I have the same kit in my 420 Gabby, I ended up putting a elbow on the muffler outlet and directed out of a oblong hole I cut in the left side engine panel. I use the old exhaust hole as a air intake, I have a flex pipe coming off the air cleaner going to it.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I added the loader s/n today.

Brought the unit over to garage today to do some misc work on the tractor. Straightened some of the fender deck to install left rear tail light. Needs more work. Also did some degreasing/cleanup work on the loader. Nothing major completed; just keeping myself busy.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taking the pickup on a road trip to Minnesota tomorrow so had to unload the deck for the 420 today. Since I was handling it I removed and cleaned under the covers. Then flipped the deck over and scraped the grass off the underside.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Deck is restorable but needs some weld repair
  • both front gauge wheels need mounts repaired
  • all 4 gauge wheels have major axle bolt wear. Need to be replaced.
  • 2 of the 3 spindle bearings wobble. No noise but are loose; need to be replaced
  • Under side of shell needs to be cleaned with wire wheel in die grinder then rust reformer and paint. Don't think I will use POR again.
  • Outer shell surface will get same clean up & paint.
  • Gearbox seems to be solid but will change oil and paint.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brought the 420 over to the garage to do some more work on it.
  • Replaced the suspension seat base with flip-over base so I can get the suspension base weld repaired.
    • Right rear fender deck to frame mounting hole is cracked; will get brazed.
    • Did not wire seat switch because wiring is not accessible. Will have to remove fender deck to fix seat switch.
    • Will need to fix taillight wiring while fender deck is off the tractor./
    • Oversize washers have been installed in many locations. Hopefully these washers can be removed and hardware returned to original.
  • Was going to swap the rear wheel weights from the 332 to the 420 but seen the 420 does not have tubes installed. Wheels are filled with wsw fluid. I do not like fluid filled wheels w/o inner tubes. Going to order/install tubes and refill with wsw fluid before swapping weights.
  • Need to see if I can figure out how aftermarket cab mounted as I may be getting it from PO if I cannot sell it for him.
Done working on tractor today. Have a couple other more important tasks to work on.

Seat photos.
Green Wood Gas Metal Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper
Wood Grass Circle Terrestrial plant Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Hood Automotive exterior
Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cleaning the yard today. Used the 420 to haul a load of material to the city compost site. Steering is extremely loose and needs service. I have not diagnosed anything yet so not sure if looseness is caused by mechanical wear of joints/bushings or hydraulic components are wore. Also, not being familiar with the two speed final drive on a 420 the tractor seemed to slow down like the hydraulics were slipping when pulling a hill. Again in need to look into correct oil level in transmission. Tractor is back in storage bin across street and raining again her in SW Wisconsin so not sure if I will be looking at it today.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
403 Posts
My 430 of course has the two speed, and she really doesn’t slow down while going uphill. Not sure why yours slows down

1 - 20 of 57 Posts