Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
This morning I drained the oil from the reservoir.
  • Suction hose clamps were loose like most other parts on this tractor/loader. That was reason for leakd.
  • Red dye in the oil was clean but I needed to do this just to make sure it was acceptable for use. Will refill with Deere Lo-Vis Hygard oil.
  • There is a crack in the upper reservoir mount that will need weld repair. I did not want to remove control valve plumbing but will probably need to do so. Since reservoir is being removed I will repaint it before reinstalling.
  • Need to remove pressure hose at oil pump so I can clean and paint pump mounting brackets.
  • No photos to post at this time but will get some when it is reassembled.
Checked and did a little cleaning on the 318.
  • No fuel line connected to fuel pump.
  • Starter is laying in frame disconnected from engine. Don't know what that means other than I need to pull the engine to fix the problem.
  • Clean oil in engine. Everything is extremely oily so mega clean up will be required.
  • I did not see any cracks in the oil pan but the oil fill seal is peeling and will probably need replacement.
  • I don't want to put a lot of money into this engine until I am sure it runs so probably means I need to pull engine to fix starter issue then reinstall and get it running. Then is runs fine will need to pull the engine again to do the rest of the work. I love doing things twice.
  • Air filter not filthy but needs replacement if engine runs.
  • I will be honest, I do not think the loader was ever used on on this tractor because of the poor/loose mounting.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Disconnected hoses from the pump so I could soak the parts in parts cleaner. Parts are all cleaned up and the mounting bracket is sanded and repainted. The bracket the pump is bolted to is the only painted part. I did however paint the pulley black. Hope everything is dry so I can reassemble the pump assembly tomorrow.

Also took the pressure washer to the 318 exterior cleaned up nice but need to remove engine tins to clean fins and need to clean engine area in frame. Making progress on this project when I should be working on yard work.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Haven't been to the garage yet this morning. Here are a couple of shots of the pump assembly. The pump is the correct pump installed by Deere. Other two photos show painted mounting bracket. Hope paint cured enough that I can reassemble today.
Green Rectangle Font Electronic device Circuit component
Gas Automotive tire Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system
Green Wood Plant Tree Ceiling

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Here is the assembled pump assembly.
Automotive tire Newspaper Tire Camera lens Motor vehicle
Newspaper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering
Cylinder Font Gas Bicycle part Auto part

Third photo shows how the left side L-bracket is captured between the bushing on bolt and spring pins. The pin on the right side is in a plate that rotates around the bolt to capture the bracket. Then the nut is tightened to prevent the pin from rotating and releasing the bracket. Two photos below show how the right side belt adjusting bracket/assembly it assembled and how belt is tightened.
Tool Household hardware Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Auto part
Gas Machine Camera accessory Audio equipment Auto part

Assembly still needs a couple of items fixed.
  • Photo showing belt tension bracket ... the bracket swings around the bolt at top of bracket. Bolt does not tighten bracket to pump mounting plate.
  • Adjusting screw needs a pointed end to engage dimple in underside of right side bracket. This keeps bracket engaged with tension screw during operation. I am adding nut to lock the screw when correct tension is set.
  • Top capscrew needs a lock nut installed so the bracket is allowed to swing.
Now I need to get the other sub-frame completed so mounting on the 332 can continue.

Reactions: lt230s and DEERE317

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Three photos of pressure washed tractor. Much cleaner. Will be easier to work on it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine Engineering

Left sub-frame is cleaned up and top side painted. Will not be dry enough to flip it over and paint bottom tonight. Hopefully I can get it painted early tomorrow morning so I can loosely mount it on the 332 tomorrow night.
Floor Electrical wiring Flooring Engineering Gas

Right inside of loader boom shows high amount of carbon. If that came from this 318 I fear engine has oil consumption issue. Expensive repair I personally do not think I want to address. Want to get it running so I can do a compression test. If low compression I will sell tractor cheap and in need of engine rebuild.
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I put the last coat of paint on the sub-frame about 1:00 this morn. Should be dry enough to mount the sub-frame today. Finally tonight I will be able to put the car back in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
Right inside of loader boom shows high amount of carbon. If that came from this 318 I fear engine has oil consumption issue. Expensive repair I personally do not think I want to address. Want to get it running so I can do a compression test. If low compression I will sell tractor cheap and in need of engine rebuild.
View attachment 272547
Mine is that way but my engine doesn't use oil. I want to re-direct the exhaust to not have this happen.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thank you Doug, I really want to get this engine running and in usable condition for a general purpose tractor. I am about at a standstill with the loader.

have some fabrication and welding repairs to make which will be the next step after I get the left sub-frame mounted. Goal is to have a solid mounting system for the loader.

Question for model 44 owners: If I install a suction filter on the reservoir outlet do I still need a screen in the outlet? Screen is NLA from Deere and I have not removed it yet to determine condition.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Sub-frame is mounted.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Lawn mower
Green Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Green Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Steel
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Trunk

Hardware is not torqued yet.
  • Need to repair the right side pump mount bracket and install it before I can torque the front hardware
  • I should be able to torque hardware in rear axle mount even though I need to fabricate the rear brace yet. Probably my next step.
I put together a shopping list last night.
  • NAPA belt part number 4L360W (36" x 1/2") is replacement for PT12320 Deere belt for 332 which is NLA from Deere.
  • PT9214 pressure hose (3/8" NPT MALE X 1525 MM (60") LONG) NLA from Deere ... Surplus Center ... item number: 903-3860 ... PRICE: $12.75
  • PT9215 suction hose (19 MM (3/4") ID X 1220 MM (48") LONG)... Surplus Center ... item number: 9-1195 ... PRICE: $4.65/ft ... $18.60. May be cheaper at Deere dealer
  • Surplus Center ... 3/4" NPT 9 GPM Suction Filter Zinga FA1100-25 ... item number: 9-077 ... PRICE: $18.95
  • Surplus Center ... 3/4" NPT Male x 3/4" NPT Male Straight 5404-12-12 Adapter ... item number: 9-5404-12-12 ... PRICE: $2.15. Need 2 ... $4.30
  • Surplus Center ... 3/4" Hosebarb x 3/4" NPT Male Straight 4404-12-12 Adapter ... item number: 9-4404-12-12 ... PRICE: $4.15
  • Will probably add some mesh hose guard to order.
  • Also need to find some clamps for the steel oil lines across the loader torque tube. Lines are bent and need straightening. Lines are not kinked so are usable.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
Question for model 44 owners: If I install a suction filter on the reservoir outlet do I still need a screen in the outlet? Screen is NLA from Deere and I have not removed it yet to determine condition.
I would be inclined to remove one of them as they are somewhat restrictive to oil flow. And the filter will remove more with less restriction. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Looking good Gabby...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gabby,
When you prep'd the loader mounts for paint, did you sand them all the way down to bare metal, or did you just lightly sand them to make them smooth, and then paint?

I would like to do this to my 44 loader, but not sure how much old paint I should be taking off.

It looks great so far!

jechambe

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
If the old paint adheres well to surface my preference is to rough up the surface and paint over it.

I did not sand them to bare metal. I used a coarse sandpaper to rough up the paint and feather edges of bare spots. Then I lightly sanded with a medium steel wool. Wiped it down with lacquer thinner and then painted with Deere spray can, no primer. I spent more time on the left side frame because of oil leak from reservoir that needed more clean up. I am not making it a show paint job. There was a lot of rust so I am just cleaning up and painting to get rid of rust.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Yesterday I picked up a piece of 1/4" x 2" scrap at Metal Mart for the rear brace. Working on it today. I have it cut to length and edges chamfered. Currentl marking and drilling holes for slots.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
This morning I finished filing the slots in the rear brace and have one side painted. Tonight I should be able to paint the other side and maybe tomorrow install on the tractor.
Ruler Rectangle Wood Font Office ruler
Rectangle Wood Amber Paint Font

Need to get the right side pump mounting bracket welded up and painted and that will finish mounting of the sub-frames. I do most of my fabrication with hand tools. That takes a while to get parts finished. I have one of the lower pins that anchor the loader to the sub-frame to fabricate yet.

Is there a reason the pin is chamfered on the outer side next to loader bore? Can I use a bushing with square edge? Outer bore in sub-frame is larger bore than the inside bore..

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Brace needs more drying time. 332 is stored in unheated building so I want to make sure paint is dry before installing and storing in that building.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
Is there a reason the pin is chamfered on the outer side next to loader bore? Can I use a bushing with square edge? Outer bore in sub-frame is larger bore than the inside bore..
The pin that goes in 44 loader is stepped for insertion purposes. It helps in alignment of the loader and bracket. I drew up the dimensions of this pin as it is unique to the 44 loader. To keep it original I would make the stepped pin.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I did get the rear brace installed today. Again hardware is not torqued because I still need to install the right side pump mounting bracket. That is the only piece I need to finish the sub-frame, I took the bracket and one of the lower pins down to rural property to discuss repair with Todd. Came home and left the parts in my shop at rural property, Will try to get down there tomorrow to fetch those parts.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Need to get back to work on this project. I did get down to property to pick up parts I left there. Need to get parts needing weld repair to Denny. I also have not ordered filter assembly yet which is probably next thing I need to work on.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Filter assembly, adapters, hoses, and mesh hose protection are ordered, 7-10 days for delivery.

I may need a pipe nipple for the filter head to reach beyond the upright. I can get that locally if needed. I suspect if I attach the filter head w/o filter there will be enough clearance to install the head and then install the filter.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts