Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I have removed and straightened damaged tiller lift linkage. The upper lift arms got repainted this afternoon and may be dry enough to mount tonight.

DSCN1212.JPG DSCN1213.JPG DSCN1232.JPG

I rolled the bucket over and greased the pins this afternoon. Rod and barrel ends of the cylinders have grease zerks but the boom and bucket pivot pins do not.

Three of four of these pins have missing roll pins.
  • boom lift arms there is no way to add grease zerks as boom tubes have end plates and no access to the pin bushing.
  • bucket pivot can be accessed as there is no end cap on the lower ends. Issue here however is access past bucket to get grease gun on zerk.
  • This will probably be another winter project.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Reinstalled the upper lift link back onto the 332 so I could move the tiller around with it. Mike The square hole in the rockshaft arm is the one for mounting the upper lift link to the rockshaft. There should be a hole in your 318 already. Next two photos show the link attached. I will not use it as a weight bracket. I think that is how it got bent. The plate is too light duty.

DSCN1237.JPG DSCN1238.JPG DSCN1239.JPG

Next I installed roll pins in pin that were missing them. Photos show pins on back of bucket.

DSCN1240.JPG DSCN1241.JPG

Transmission drain plug appears to be cause of leak under rear of tractor. Can't do anything to repair that until I change oil.

DSCN1242.JPG DSCN1243.JPG

Right front tire has a slow leak. Will probably install tubes to repair.

Done for tonight.

Edit ... looking at the last photo and I see the right front bolt missing on the lower tiller mount. Guess I need to bring the tractor back into the garage tomorrow and check that hardware..

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts
That is not a design for a weight bracket that I would use. It puts too much stress on the deck lift cylinder as well as what you mentioned about it being too thin.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure how it got bent out of shape but it is straightened and reinstalled.

Need to make a trip into the north woods again. This morning I bought a pair of starter weights I need to pick up. These will be mounted on the 332 after the rear wheels are removed, repainted, tubes installed, and filled with rimguard. Will also mount a single double notch wheel weight on each side. That should add approx 500 lbs to the rear of the tractor which now has 0. Add my bubble butt and should be about 750 lbs.

Question? ... I have never used rimguard before tractor and loader will be stored in unheated building. Does rimguard freeze?

Gabby

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Gabby, I think Rimguard's freeze point is well below zero, below windshield washer fluid and RV anti-freeze. It's basically the same stuff some places use to deice roads.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
From what I just read Deere Rimguard (beet juice) is non-corrosive so I doubt it is used to deice roads unless there is something else in the beet juice that snow does not like. If it were corrosive I don't want it. I do run tubes in tires and not in wide position. Does wide position make the width across the wheels wider than the bucket?

I'm reading filling 23x10.5-12 tires adds about 75 pounds per wheel. Starter wheel weight is 72 lb and double notch cast iron is another 50 lbs. Let's call that 200 lbs per wheel. Plus my weight adds about 630 lbs to rear of tractor. A good start but not enough.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You should be a little narrower than your bucket. Keep in mind, when you turn you'll drive on snow with inside rear tire.
You'd need a 6 or 7 ft wide bucket to clear enough to turn. Its geometry thing, lol. I dont think I had that class.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Fixing slow leak in right front tire. PO installed new tires but did not replace valve stems. Leak is around the valve stem. Tire is removed from rim and is being painted. Will install inner tube.

May swap the tires (V61's on 1"SAE rims) from the 1985 318 onto the 332 but need to confirm 332 has SAE spindles. I do not think it does.

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Here are the SN boundaries on the metric versus inch spindles by tractor model:

As you suspected, All 322 and 332 tractors are metric spindles.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Chuck. Not going to switch tires on rims. Just came in from garage. CTC loader mounts are wider than 332 wondering if loader will fit 420. If yes I may switch loader and keep the tiller. Lot of winter projects coming up.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When PO mounted the left front tire they used grease instead of soap to mount the tire (valve stem side of tire). I wiped everything down then sanded the rim with fine steel wool then wiped everything down again. Shame on me. I did not spray on a coat of primer. Outside of rim (opposite side of valve stem) covered ok but the inside had fish eyes like you would not believe. I will need 3 or days for the paint to cure good so I can wet sand and paint again.

I haven't broke down the right front tire to see if that was also greased. I need to do that so both fronts are fresh paint and inner tubes.

Then rears need to be removed and painted. Inner tubes installed and filled with rimguard. I have a pair of starter weight that will be installed, Then a pair of double notch wheel weights. Good start to weight addition to hold the rear end down.

New leak under the engine somewhere that I need to look into.

Reactions: hel2002002yahoocom

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Still have not got left front rim painted. Primed and ready to paint. Spent some time today cleaning up and painting the starter weights so they are ready to install when get rears painted and filled with rim guard. Double notch wheel weights are already painted.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Went into the big city to see if Fastenal had 1/2" unc x 5 1/2" grade 5 carriage bolts to install starter weights. They had 5" or 6". Since I have a hack saw but no bolt stretcher I bought the 6".

·
Registered
257 Posts
Went into the big city to see if Fastenal had 1/2" unc x 5 1/2" grade 5 carriage bolts to install starter weights. They had 5" or 6". Since I have a hack saw but no bolt stretcher I bought the 6".
Man, a bolt stretcher would be awesome...:LOL:

I work in rebar, we often refer to the hard to find "bar stretcher".

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I sanded the front wheel again. Wiped it down with paint thinner on a clean rag and sprayed on another coat of yelllow. And I ended up again with massive amount of fisheyes. What am I doing wrong. I need to get that tractor out of the garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not an expert but I have had problems with paint thinner has prep. I have good luck with acetone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have always used paint thinner and never had problems. The issue here is someone used grease as a lubricant to seal the tire bead to the rim. I cleaned the tire and rim to remove the grease but it seems like the paint thinner left a film or I did not use a cleam rag and there is still residue present. Going out later to put a second coat on and I will live with it if it reoccurs. This is on the inside of the rim and not really noticeable.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
How expensive is acetone and where do you find it? Highly flammable?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have had good luck using a water borne cleaner/degreaser for final prep. Much better than any solvent based wipe down.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have had good luck using a water borne cleaner/degreaser for final prep. Much better than any solvent based wipe down.
Somewhere in the garage I think I have most of a gallon of water base paint thinner that I bought from Menards. Smells nice but worthless to clean up oily parts. Is that what you mean by "water borne cleaner/degreaser"?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts