Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Acetone can be purchased at any big box store or paint store . I recommend wearing gloves as it's nasty stuff but cleans well . Similar to lacquer thinner and evaporates quickly . Paint thinner does not clean nearly as well as acetone . Your fish eye problem must be oil residue left over after cleaning .

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here is the front wheel. Fish eyes are hard to see but they are there. Like I said they are on inside of rim so I will live with it.

Acetone, just to try it out can I buy in pint or quart size container?

DSCN1283.JPG DSCN1284.JPG

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
One starter weight painted and ready to install ... need to flip the second and paint outer surface, after what you see dries.

I have a 3rd weight to paint also.

DSCN1280.JPG

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Gabby, Your fish eyes are caused by the paint thinner. Paint thinner is a common name for Mineral spirits, or Naphtha and few others. It is an oil based chemical and usually leaves a light film of oil on whatever you're trying to clean. It's slow drying and often can be completely removed by wiping with a rag or wipe. Not an issue to use it as a cleaner, but best to wash your parts with lacquer thinner as a "final rinse" prior to painting. Bob

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I might make it to Menards yet today. They should sell acetone. Somewhere I have part of a gallon of lacquer thinner I bought many years ago. Quite expensive if I remember right.

Tire is mounted on rim and installed on tractor. Tire is light duty. Should work fine around the house here in town but no good for my rural property. Maximum tire pressure rating is 14 psi.

To continue with this project
  • Need to remove right front wheel now to paint rim and install inner tube.
  • Remove both rear wheels, open them up to install inner tubes.
  • While the beads are broken I will paint the rims.
  • Take tractor to dealer to filler rears with rimguard
  • Install starter weights ... they are painted and ready to install
  • Install double notch cast wheel weights ... These are painted but outside surface will be steel wooled and a fresh paint coat to clean them up.

I still have single starter weight to paint. This morning I cleaned with wire wheel in die grinder. Wiped it down with paint thinner, and sprayed it with rust refromer. Needs 24 hrs cure time so will paint tomorrow.

DSCN1289.JPG DSCN1290.JPG DSCN1291.JPG

I can now move the 332 out of garage so Mom's car does not need to sit out in the snow tonight.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thank you ....

Tractor came out of the garage to assist yard cleanup. Wanted to use the 120 and 80 cart but guess what? Left front tire flat and battery run down. Bucket didn't hold as much as the 80 cart but got the bundle of leaves and raised garden beds cleaned up.

I tried prying out stumps left from storm damage this summer and I found out just how poor this loader is compared to model 44 on a 332. The model 44 always attempt to lift object. If it couldn't the rear end came up. CTC using tractor hydraulics just grunted and crapped itself. Still a good machine for work around house in town. A lot of projects for this winter but may have time to figure out sump/pump/valve arrangement to give the loader some balls.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Walked by the 332 this morning. Stored under garage porch roof. Guess what?

Left front tire is going flat. I am done repairing tires. Talked to local service center this morning; told Steve I had
  • 3 left front tires to repair ... 120, 332, X485
  • a pair of 26x12-12's mounted on 318 rims removed and installed on correct 430 rims.
  • The 23x10.5-12's on the 332 removed and installed with tubes on the rims the 26x12's were on. These will then be filled with rimguard and weight packages installed.
Need to go back to work to pay for all that.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Left front tire is going flat. I am done repairing tires. Talked to local service center this morning; told Steve I had
  • a pair of 26x12-12's mounted on 318 rims removed and installed on correct 430 rims.
  • The 23x10.5-12's on the 332 removed and installed with tubes on the rims the 26x12's were on. These will then be filled with rimguard and weight packages installed.
Tires and batteries the bane of my (and probably most of us with numerous machines) existence with these older machines, especially since they aren’t cheap.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Gabby you need to get those machines masked up so that tire flat spread doesn't spread more!
it moves quick and is elusive if you don't get out in front of it fast!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Rainy, lazy. miserable day.
  • I did get the rest of the 3rd starter weight painted.
  • half of the other 430 rim is sanded. This is a priority project. Next week Steve will be ready to swap tires for me so I need to get this rim painted so it has time to cure.
  • Double notch wheel weights I will be using I just bought. They were already painted but I do not know what PO used for paint. Shame on me after steel wool to rough up surface I wiped them down with paint thinner. Fresh pain coat wrinkled. I have never had this many issues with using paint thinner to clean parts.
  • Found gallon of NAPA #8831 enamel reducer in basement. I bought this when I restored my first 110 RF back in the mid 80's so it is abut 35 years old. Only a minimal amount in bottom of container. I will test it on the other wheel weight. They are easier to clean up than the 430 wheel.
  • Menards may be open tomorrow so I can get some acetone.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So today I finished sanding the 430 rim so I could spray paint it. Wiped it down with a clean rag and 35 year old enamel reducer. Sprayed on a coat of buff primer and 2 thin coats of yellow. Looks beautiful. Need to find more enamel reducer. Will get photo tomorrow when dry enough to handle.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Picked up a quart of Acetone at Menards today. Reasonable cost. I think it was $3.99 w/o tax. Need to get rid of the enamel reducer before I open this can.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks TMAC. I was a little leery of buying Acetone. I know Deere used acetone to clean metal before applying strain gages for stress testing. I was supervisor of the shop so did not have to handle it but x-13's were very cautious with it. I will give it a try. Should have gone to NAPA to get price on enamel reducer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
So what's the best for final wipedown before primer/ paint? I thought I just wrote something down in barn after reading on wfm. Lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, I can't remember. Or now gabby is using acetone?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Acetone works good, but I’ve always had good luck using brake cleaner. Always have that on hand anyways.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Personally I like the outcome using enamel reducer but you have to go to parts store that sells paint to get it. Menards Lumber here in midwest has acetone and lacquer thinner on their shelves.I am going to try Acetone but don't think I am going to like it just because of the hassles you have to go through just to use it safely. Don't want to burn my garage down either.

All three starter weights are ready to install ... 6" grade 5 carriage bolts have been cut down to 5 1/2" and the threads in the starter weights have been cleaned out using 1/2"-13UNC die. I need (6) 1/2" coarse by 3 1/2" length grade 5 cap screws to install double notch weights on the starter weights.

Tomorrow I will bring X485 left front tire home from rural property. Monday I will get all the tires together to take to Steve for repairing and mounting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been painting cars an trucks for 20 years on the side. I've always used acetone to wipe down and clean. No gloves either. Lol.........

41 - 60 of 63 Posts