Weekend Freedom Machines banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
We have a Fastenal about 15 miles. I'll give them a try. Thanks Chuck.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Ended you using the 6" grade 5 carriage bolts I bought and had cut them down to 5 1'2" per PC. I cut them down again to about 4 11/16 - 4 3.4" to mount the starter weights. Found three 3" grade 5 cap screws in my hardware bin. Used two to mount the double notch weight on the starter weight on the right side wheel.

DSCN1348.JPG DSCN1349.JPG DSCN1350.JPG

Now back to the left side wheel. Need to remove the starter weight to cut the carriage bolts to length and start over. I love doing work twice.

DSCN1351.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Gabby,

Nice end results! Yes sometimes it takes a bit of iteration to zero in on the best approach...

Chuck

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Got the right side done. Camera was in the house. I will attach a photo later. The 332 can go to the lower shed now. I would like to have a set of stops on the lift cylinders to lock the boom in raised position. Would give me more room in the lower shed.

Just to keep track of measurements
  • cylinder rod is 1"
  • barrel OD is 1 7/8"
  • center of rod pin to cylinder head end at full extension is 17 7/16"

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Painting the rims I took off this tractor to mount the spare tires on. I picked up a quart of lacquer thinner to use as a prep to clean parts before I paint. It eats the fingers off my nitrile gloves. Is doing a better clean up job but still getting fisheyes when I paint the rims. I let the primer cure longer (hour - hour and half) thinking that was the problem. I recall reading other posts members having issues with Deere yellow spray paint.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've had issues with JD paint, wasnt the paint. It was the primer I used, bought at hardware store.
Now I get JD primer also, no issues since.
For the prep, I use acetone.
So far, so good.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I am using Deere primer, forget the TY#. I have been using it for long time. It seems like I am having issues only painting rims. I am confused. Have switched to lacquer thinner vs paint thinner which worked well for me for years. Again, I feel the problem is me ... a process problem.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
It is frustrating Kevin. I have a classmate that inherited his dads 1940's chevy pickup when he passed. Got a fresh coat of black every year. I think he used a broom. Went on faster. wider than a brush.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I used a brush on my fel build.
It's a 15 footer paint job, lol.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Here is a list of items needing to be done on 332 yet. First couple need to be done before moving into unheated storage. Rest are later projects.
  • Need to fill fuel tank with winter fuel or fuel with anti-gel agent.
  • Battery may need replacement but will put full charge on this one.
  • Finish paint, mount spare turf tires and store rims with 420 rims.
  • Right side engine side shield rattles like h at low idle.
  • Seat switch is disconnected. Need to remove fender pan to find missing harness.
  • While fender deck is off; look for rear axle/trans case oil leak.
  • Engine oil leak.
  • Test hydraulic system ... loader lift seems week.
  • Develop/build hydraulic system that does not rely on tractor hydraulics.
  • Remove tiller mounts and post tiller for sale (spring time project)
  • Cleanup ... Wash/wax

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I used a brush on my fel build.
It's a 15 footer paint job, lol.
Sounds like my 420 paint job. It is Deere spray paint but not sandblast/minimal surface prep. Looks nice with me using it in the backyard and you are on the street.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Still cleaning garage. Haven't made it to rural property to bring home anti-gel agent for the 332. It is at the property for use in the skidsteer and compact excavator. Think I will fill the diesel fuel can on way to property and treat what is in the can then fill 332 tank.
  • Battery in 332 test 12.5 V (no-load) .
  • I have 3 other batteries on rack. One on battery maintainer tests 12.7V, spare measures 12.3V, new unused (for 318/420) measures 12.0 V. Not going to charge the 332 battery.
  • Coolant tests to -43°F. This is as purchased. Will leave it be. Coolant cap was loose on radiator. Will need to watch that next spring to see if it needs replacement.
  • Right side engine shield showed wear areas where contact was occurring during engine idle. I took a hammer to the shield and gave those areas a "good whack" where contact was occurring. Also the shield had a bow alone the top edge. A piece of 2x6 as a backup, 2x4 on edge, and again a couple good whacks and the shield does not rattle at idle any more.
Getting caught up on photos.
DSCN1352.JPG DSCN1353.JPG DSCN1354.JPG DSCN1355.JPG

Heading to the property to get anti-gelling agent so I can get the tractor into storage and the car back in the garage.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Went to rural property today to fetch fuel treatment. Filled fuel can on way home. Tomorrow morning will mix fuel and treatment and fill tank before moving to storage. Storage could be a challenge getting 3 tractors to fit in small shed. I may bring walk behind snow blower up to garage but that does not help me clean up the garage.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Used the 332 this morning to haul 26x12-12's across the street to storage. Cleaned in front of the storage bin while I was there. There was ice build up in front of driveway and curb in front of my house. Salt and warming temps meant it was not froze to street surface. Scraped that off with no problem.

First use of the loader other than to haul things.
  • The hydraulics are delayed ... need shut off valve on rock shaft cylinder
  • Hydraulics are unreasonably slow compared to model 44 on my last 332
  • Not enough hydraulic flow to combine functions. Function under least load takes all the flow.
  • I don't think this loader has ever been used on this tractor. Reinforcement routed in front of exhaust which was brilliant green is now brilliant black. I'll clean that off before I store it.
  • Did not check oil temp but used enough to warm oil to test pressure at lift port front coupler ... 750 + a few psi (at high idle)..
  • Implement Relief Valve Pressure . . . . . 5861—6722 kPa (850—975 psi) . . . I have a shim kit Pressure needs to be bumped up. Next spring project when fender deck is removed to repair other issues.

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for posting the pressure numbers, Gabby.
I didnt know what it was supposed to be. I was going to increase it up like the 332, 900 lbs.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Tractor is stored. Need to go down to shed and cover all three with tarps and throw out mice poison packets. Pets cannot get into building unless doors are open.

This list keeps growing. Something I forgot to add is the bucket is going to need an auxiliary cutting and bottom skid plates or I will wear it out on cement driveway;.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts