Ended you using the 6" grade 5 carriage bolts I bought and had cut them down to 5 1'2" per PC. I cut them down again to about 4 11/16 - 4 3.4" to mount the starter weights. Found three 3" grade 5 cap screws in my hardware bin. Used two to mount the double notch weight on the starter weight on the right side wheel.
Now back to the left side wheel. Need to remove the starter weight to cut the carriage bolts to length and start over. I love doing work twice.
Got the right side done. Camera was in the house. I will attach a photo later. The 332 can go to the lower shed now. I would like to have a set of stops on the lift cylinders to lock the boom in raised position. Would give me more room in the lower shed.
Just to keep track of measurements
cylinder rod is 1"
barrel OD is 1 7/8"
center of rod pin to cylinder head end at full extension is 17 7/16"
Painting the rims I took off this tractor to mount the spare tires on. I picked up a quart of lacquer thinner to use as a prep to clean parts before I paint. It eats the fingers off my nitrile gloves. Is doing a better clean up job but still getting fisheyes when I paint the rims. I let the primer cure longer (hour - hour and half) thinking that was the problem. I recall reading other posts members having issues with Deere yellow spray paint.
I am using Deere primer, forget the TY#. I have been using it for long time. It seems like I am having issues only painting rims. I am confused. Have switched to lacquer thinner vs paint thinner which worked well for me for years. Again, I feel the problem is me ... a process problem.
It is frustrating Kevin. I have a classmate that inherited his dads 1940's chevy pickup when he passed. Got a fresh coat of black every year. I think he used a broom. Went on faster. wider than a brush.
Still cleaning garage. Haven't made it to rural property to bring home anti-gel agent for the 332. It is at the property for use in the skidsteer and compact excavator. Think I will fill the diesel fuel can on way to property and treat what is in the can then fill 332 tank.
Battery in 332 test 12.5 V (no-load) .
I have 3 other batteries on rack. One on battery maintainer tests 12.7V, spare measures 12.3V, new unused (for 318/420) measures 12.0 V. Not going to charge the 332 battery.
Coolant tests to -43°F. This is as purchased. Will leave it be. Coolant cap was loose on radiator. Will need to watch that next spring to see if it needs replacement.
Right side engine shield showed wear areas where contact was occurring during engine idle. I took a hammer to the shield and gave those areas a "good whack" where contact was occurring. Also the shield had a bow alone the top edge. A piece of 2x6 as a backup, 2x4 on edge, and again a couple good whacks and the shield does not rattle at idle any more.
Getting caught up on photos.
Heading to the property to get anti-gelling agent so I can get the tractor into storage and the car back in the garage.
Went to rural property today to fetch fuel treatment. Filled fuel can on way home. Tomorrow morning will mix fuel and treatment and fill tank before moving to storage. Storage could be a challenge getting 3 tractors to fit in small shed. I may bring walk behind snow blower up to garage but that does not help me clean up the garage.
Used the 332 this morning to haul 26x12-12's across the street to storage. Cleaned in front of the storage bin while I was there. There was ice build up in front of driveway and curb in front of my house. Salt and warming temps meant it was not froze to street surface. Scraped that off with no problem.
First use of the loader other than to haul things.
The hydraulics are delayed ... need shut off valve on rock shaft cylinder
Hydraulics are unreasonably slow compared to model 44 on my last 332
Not enough hydraulic flow to combine functions. Function under least load takes all the flow.
I don't think this loader has ever been used on this tractor. Reinforcement routed in front of exhaust which was brilliant green is now brilliant black. I'll clean that off before I store it.
Did not check oil temp but used enough to warm oil to test pressure at lift port front coupler ... 750 + a few psi (at high idle)..
Implement Relief Valve Pressure . . . . . 5861—6722 kPa (850—975 psi) . . . I have a shim kit Pressure needs to be bumped up. Next spring project when fender deck is removed to repair other issues.
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!