Weekend Freedom Machines banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Some touch up sanding and one more light coat of paint and tires will be ready to be mounted. Last project for this tractor this fall.
DSCN1360.JPG DSCN1361.JPG

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Mounted one tire. Slow leak from cracked side wall. Will probably install inner tubes but need to finish painting second rim and mount tire on that rim to see if there a problems with that tire. If I install inner tubes it will be in both tires.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Gabby just put tubes in both of them with beet juice and be done and happy!

course it's easy for my to spend the $100 dollar bills in your pocket!

though some of those $100 dollar bills used to be in my pocket so maybe I have a little say in how you spend them!

LOL

just kidding great work as always and I sure it all turn out great for you!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I already have a set of turf tires filled with beet juice. They were on the 318 (1985) I bought in Michigan. Those are now on another 318 (1986) I am using with kwik hitch and model 51 broom. Don't know what I would do with another set unless I put them back on the 1985 318. Not going to be working at the property for a few days so hope to have this set of tires repaired and into storage.

Just an FYI. The tire that is assembled and leaking had a patch; not in the side wall where it is leaking now. Typically tires that leak thru weather checked cracks in side walls have sat in flat condition for prolonged time period. I looked over the other tire. There are no previous repairs but again there are cracks in the side walls. Tires have good tread depth.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Today I steel wooled the fresh paint of the 2nd rim. Blew it off with compressed air. Wiped it down with enamel reducer. Shot on a fresh coat of paint. Truth? Looks like crap.

Tires are used so no need to have showroom condition rims but it doesn't say good for my painting ability. I have never had this many issues trying to paint something. I"ll advertise them on FB where people expect things in this condition.

Working on 318 H3 conversion. Need some flat stock to make two sets of valve/lever linkage. While I was checking out Steel Mart I see they have auxiliary cutting edge, 1/2" x 4" x 74" for $25 and 3/4" x 4" x74" for $36. Will buy the 1/2" material. Already talked to Denny about welding it on bucket. Will also need some 1/2 steel strips to weld on bucket bottom plate.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Picked up inner tubes today. One tire is complete. Need to break the bead on 2nd tire and dismount one side to install tube. This is the tire with the leak through the side wall.

Looks like I did not post that when at steel mart the other day I pick up auxiliary cutting edge (1/2"x4"x74") ... $25 and a couple of scrap plates to weld to bottom of bucket. Need to get tractor to Denny to get this added to bucket. Then I can use it on my concrete driveway without fear of wearing a hole in bottom of bucket.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Got out my bead breaker today on broke the beads on second tire needing inner tube. I need to put a patch over the area in the side wall that where leak is occurring because inner area is rough and may wear on the inner tube. Better safe than sorry. Tomorrow will get this tire mounted and then can take them across street for storage.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Finished installing inner tube in second wheel. I have steel to add reinforcement to the bucket but that will probably have to wait till spring.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Sold the model 30 tiller today so got the 332 out of the lower shed to mount the tiller and load on buyers truck. After it was loaded pulled the 332 into garage to remove the tiller mounts. Their was only one bolt on each side of the lower mounts. Now there is room to mount a 3ph hitch. Will probably buy one from Ruegg.

When I removed the lower mounting brackets I see the right side axle housing is leaking where it bolts to the differential. Repair should be same as I did on the 318.

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Took the tractor and loader to Denny today for him to evaluate bucket work. He recommended not adding another cutting edge under the one that is already there but is going to add doubler plates on rear of bucket to keep from wearing holes in bottom plate of the bucket. I also asked him to add chain hooks to the bucket. Removed the bucket on left with Denny.

Rear photo shows model 30 tiller mounts removed. I have a drawbar plate I will add when installing 3ph but first need to replace leaky wheel seal.
DSCN1637.JPG DSCN1638.JPG

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Will post a photo when I get it back.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
No call from Denny today so will be next week before I get the bucket back. Need it to get going with yard work.

Haven't ordered the 3ph yet. I like the feeling of that money in my wallet right now.

Reactions: cheoah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great stuff. Looks like you know your way around these machines! taking notes......

I’m just learning my way around this 332, but I guess I’ll hold off on a 3ph, just use what’s there for the tiller. Curious to see what you’ll use on yours? Maybe you said already.....

I do think I’d like a rear blade of some kind, maybe a little 3’ box to freshen up the short section of road on my property.

First things first, have some electrical work to do. mine tried to self-immolate a week ago, cooked at the volt reg terminals. Part on way, along with a bunch of filters and fluids.

Im on the other end of that money/wallet thing. Good investments though, and we needed some mechanical advantage around here.

good luck w your loader project.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Tractor is sitting in the cars spot in the garage. There is a pretty good size oil spot under the rear of the tractor. Afraid that will soon be a priority one to get it fixed. I generally do both sides but will be much work that I may get my son involved. Starter weights and double notch weights is what will make this challenging. If I wasn't working at the greenhouse I would tear into it and be completed in a couple of days. I am becoming a wuss.

Haven't got the bucket back yet.

Will need to remove fender deck to replace axle seals. that would be the time to add the hydraulic system if I plan to drive it off the transmission tail shaft. Too many projects going on again.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Cheoah, I haven't ordered it yet but want a category 1 3PH. I want that size to carry a weight box. I also have a category 1 landscape rake that I use at my property but this tractor will see little use at my rural property as it is too small and light for what I need there. I have a Case 1840 skidsteer and a Bobcat 325 excavator to do major work at property. Mow it with a 314 and X485. Still need a general purpose tractor (working on a 318 and a 420) for landscaping work. My Gator will likely get moved to rural property also.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Home from Greenhouse 10:30. Denny called, bucket ready to pick up. Added wear strips on bottom of bucket and chain hooks upper corners. Photos attached.
DSCN1655.JPG DSCN1656.JPG

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I don't know how many of these I listed earlier but items that need attention
  • right side axle seal leaking
  • small leak under engine
  • steering wanders when driving down highway
  • hydraulic control levers are loose
  • diesel engine exhaust coating right side loader reinforcement strip with black soot.
  • Seat spring are weak allowing seat to contact fender deck.
DSCN1651.JPG DSCN1652.JPG DSCN1654.JPG DSCN1657.JPG DSCN1658.JPG

When I was on the ground looking at leak at rear axle I noticed a PO had installed a steel plate and some insulation on rear side of transmission pump. Area seems to be sealed up pretty tight. Would this not be an air intake source to cool the engine. Also, there is no belly screen on the tractor.
DSCN1653.JPG

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
A pair of M48934 axle seals have been ordered. Should be in Thursday/Friday. I don't think I have to remove fender deck to swap the seal. Sounds like a weekend project.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I noticed a PO had installed a steel plate and some insulation on rear side of transmission pump. Area seems to be sealed up pretty tight
That is factory stock. I guess it keeps grass from entering and clogging the radiator from that direction. I got some foam and glued it to my metal parts recently when I did the 2 speed rear swap. A lot of that foam is NLA. Some of the metal may be NLA as well, I don’t remember.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts