Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1987 332 w/loader ... Southwest Wisconsin

34K views 272 replies 37 participants last post by  gabby_in_wis 
#1 ·
Here is my lastest purchase. 1987 332 s/n M00332X422500, engine s/n CH3022D013418 (model 3TN66UJ). Hour meter shows 1343 hours. Last full service according to message on tractor was at 1025.4 hrs.

Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Lawn Grass
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Lawn
Green Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Auto part Family car
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car
Auto part Concrete Cement

Attachments that came with the tractor were the loader (manufacturer unknown), model 50 deck w/mule drive & belt, model 30 hydraulic tiller w/belt, modified sleeve hitch rear blade, lawn roller, and the original turf tires.

Vehicle Boat Watercraft Dinghy
Drum Metal
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Asphalt
Gun Games Shooting sport Shooting Recreation

Ten photo limit ... I have to take Mom into town. Will update with more when I return.

See less See more
#5 ·
Previous owner cobbled up alternate mount for the rear blade. A plate bolts to the transmission case in place of the drawbar, Plate with crossbolt is welded to blade. Another bar was welded across the reach for the blade with chains that attached to the lift arm for the tiller. Previous owner must have had all the time in the world to change attachments. Nothing is "plug and play".

Bumper Automotive exterior

There are holes in the fender deck indicating a previous owner had a cab on it..

Green Lawn mower Vehicle Lawn
Green Automotive exterior Grass Bumper Lawn

• Confused about placement of the 150 medallion. I always thought that it was on the dash, not a console side cover.
Green Vehicle door Automotive exterior

• There are 4 extra holes under the seat. PO must have had different seat suspension.
Vehicle

• Some of the tiller mounting parts are bent and need straightening.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

• Noticed the seat switch is not wired. No safety switch. This will be first repair.
Always plenty of workk to do.

#6 ·
Agree with the CTC loader. It is a lightweight loader compared to the model 44.

#8 ·
Gabby,

With the white PVC pipe across the seat frame, your seat switch must be bypassed...and the seat must rest down on the switch plunger to have it work correctly. Is the seat back broken/tilted back such that it needs to be tipped forward like that? The seat pan looks OK in your pictures. Maybe the U shaped seat springs are weak and need a height boost.

Chuck

#9 · (Edited)
There are no wires running to the seat switch. Someone had the fender deck off and I suspect the wires are there but under the deck. Springs and seat back seem to be ok.

#11 ·
This morning I took the covers off the deck to see if cleanup was needed. Found typical mouse nest made from fiberglass insulation. Cleaned under the covers then washed the outside of the deck. Flipped it over and used a wire brush to clean off small amount of grass then sprayed it down with rust reformer. Bottom rack on my deck storage rack was empty after I sold my last 332 and 50" deck. This deck is now in storage until I need it.

Vehicle Scale model Car Wheel
Yellow Vehicle Car City car
Vehicle Machine

Next I wanted to load the roller and rear blade back on the trailer to take to rural property for storage. Had a little work I wanted to do on the roller. Found the steel drum had holes rusted through the thickness. I have an old deck I can cut some metal pieces from to use as patch panels. Roller will stay in town for a bit. Blade is on the trailer.

Rust Metal
Rust Metal

A stand for the tiller was included in purchase. No casters on the stand to move it around. Stand on furniture dolly is too tall. Need to get some casters to modify the steel stand.

Table Furniture
Table Furniture Coffee table Trailer Automotive exterior

About all I can do on this tractor today.

Reactions: DEERE317
#15 ·
I do not believe my loader is CTC 3180 shown in links.
  • That loader has left upright reservoir. With filter.
  • Control valve mounted on reservoir.
  • CTC 3180 appears to have pump driven off front pto.
  • Has round torque tube between right/left arms; mine is rectangular and does not penetrate arms with stronger weld on both sides of arm.
  • and has a grille guard which mine does not
  • Mine looks like CTC but is missing to many features including CTC decals.
I would be much more satisfied with my loader if it had those features. I think mine is a copyright infringement but should do what I want it to do. Mostly will be used as a hoist to lift heavy items.

Today I removed the tiller from the tractor and did some repairs. The right side lift/adjustment link was bent. Straightened and cleaned up the threads on the link. Also added a nut to lock setting.

I did not get the lift arms removed from the rock shaft. There is a flat steel plate welded between the left and right arms that appears to have been used as a suitcase weight mounting bracket. The plate is not strong enough and is also bent. Will get photos when I remove and straighten that plate,

I have never had a model 30 hydraulic tiller. Read a lot of good stuff about it but I have a major problem with it.
  • I cannot use it on this tractor without removing the loader. Loader mounting uses holes needed to mount hydraulic pump.
  • I cannot use it on my 1986 318 because I need rear weights on that tractor to use quick hitch and front attachments. Rear weight bracket would need to be removed to mount lift arms.
  • I cannot use it on my 1985 318 because I have 3ph on that tractor. I would need to covert tiller to 3ph lift frame.
I really do not need this large of a tiller. It will probably be put up for sale.

#16 ·
do not believe my loader is CTC 3180 shown in links.
May be a clone...but I bet it’s a revision of the CTC. I remember there was some issues with the loaders, they were initially IMF: Iron Man Fab, and there was a name change to CTC so as to distance from the drama. It was like they initially ran from onboard hydraulics, then used an outboard pump, then went back to on board hydraulics. Bet you could email the CTC guy a pic of your setup and find out for sure. I am like you, my old kwikway isn’t going to win any lifting contest but it sure beats doing stuff by hand.

#17 ·
It's a CTC. They don't make them with the external pump and res anymore. They must want to keep the cost down. From their website "Pictured is the older 3180 external drive. We will update pictures of the new 3240 ASAP!".

#18 · (Edited)
I don't believe everything I see on the internet. "We will update pictures of the new 3240 ASAP" When?

When we get our registry back?

Edit ... the CTC 3240 is ready to order ... 2 - 3 weeks wait time ... $2970.

WOW! $3000 for a loader that works off tractor hydraulics? And they can't even post pictures of what buyers are getting?

#19 ·
Gabby,

You are right about mounting the tiller needing to be essentially exclusive to mounting the loader on these small tractors. Most members of this forum do not take the loaders on and off these open frame tractors regularly -- so they end up being dedicated loader machines.

On my 322, I was easily able to take my 30 hydraulic tiller on and off (had a proper height stand for it...) and that is the tractor that also served to mount the center grader blade, or the front 54 blade, or the Johnny Bucket JR -- all one at a time of course. Key to these attachment exchanges were a smooth concrete pad and the correct stands to roll the heavier attachments around. Since I had oversize wheels and tires on this tractor, there was a bit more ground clearance... I had 26-12x12 rears and 18-8.50x10 fronts.

If you decide to keep the tiller (they are awesome when tilling is needed, even on 'old' ground that has not been worked in decades) my suggestion is to convert it to 3-pt mount and use that 318. Here are some pictures of my tiller on the 322 and the work it can do:
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Lawn Agricultural machinery

:)
Asphalt Soil Tree Grass Road surface

That old orchard had not been worked in over 12 years, but I pulled the stumps out and it tilled up nicely. Yes that kind of work makes the tractor really dusty... :)

Chuck

#20 · (Edited)
Good morning Chuck.
  1. I bought the tractor to be a dedicated loader tractor. I probably will never use the tiller, mower deck, or mule drive on this tractor.
  2. My 1986 318 likewise is dedicated to quick hitch attachments. Like the 332 it needs rear counterweight for it to do what it is intended to do. It also has partial cab which I have no intention of removing.
  3. I agree that 3ph mount on my 1985 318 would be the way to go. But that is adding cost to an attachment I don't have a use for. If it helps me sell it that is what I will do but need to sell original mount with it unless I can figure out a use for it like lift for Haban sickle mower. I am always thinking of next projects.
BTW ... loader is an early CTC. If you look at the customer photos my loader is similar to those shown. I did own a model 44 that is an awesome loader compared to the CTC but this one will fit my needs. Just need to find suitable winter storage for it. For spring/summer/fall I have porch on front of garage suitable for storage. This winter it may be stored on porch covered with a heavy tarp.

#21 · (Edited)
I have removed and straightened damaged tiller lift linkage. The upper lift arms got repainted this afternoon and may be dry enough to mount tonight.

Bumper

I rolled the bucket over and greased the pins this afternoon. Rod and barrel ends of the cylinders have grease zerks but the boom and bucket pivot pins do not.

Three of four of these pins have missing roll pins.
  • boom lift arms there is no way to add grease zerks as boom tubes have end plates and no access to the pin bushing.
  • bucket pivot can be accessed as there is no end cap on the lower ends. Issue here however is access past bucket to get grease gun on zerk.
  • This will probably be another winter project.

#22 · (Edited)
Reinstalled the upper lift link back onto the 332 so I could move the tiller around with it. Mike The square hole in the rockshaft arm is the one for mounting the upper lift link to the rockshaft. There should be a hole in your 318 already. Next two photos show the link attached. I will not use it as a weight bracket. I think that is how it got bent. The plate is too light duty.

Auto part Bumper Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Next I installed roll pins in pin that were missing them. Photos show pins on back of bucket.

Machine
Tool

Transmission drain plug appears to be cause of leak under rear of tractor. Can't do anything to repair that until I change oil.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine Vehicle
Auto part Rust

Right front tire has a slow leak. Will probably install tubes to repair.

Done for tonight.

Edit ... looking at the last photo and I see the right front bolt missing on the lower tiller mount. Guess I need to bring the tractor back into the garage tomorrow and check that hardware..

#23 ·
That is not a design for a weight bracket that I would use. It puts too much stress on the deck lift cylinder as well as what you mentioned about it being too thin.

#24 ·
Not sure how it got bent out of shape but it is straightened and reinstalled.

Need to make a trip into the north woods again. This morning I bought a pair of starter weights I need to pick up. These will be mounted on the 332 after the rear wheels are removed, repainted, tubes installed, and filled with rimguard. Will also mount a single double notch wheel weight on each side. That should add approx 500 lbs to the rear of the tractor which now has 0. Add my bubble butt and should be about 750 lbs.

Question? ... I have never used rimguard before tractor and loader will be stored in unheated building. Does rimguard freeze?

Gabby

#26 ·
From what I just read Deere Rimguard (beet juice) is non-corrosive so I doubt it is used to deice roads unless there is something else in the beet juice that snow does not like. If it were corrosive I don't want it. I do run tubes in tires and not in wide position. Does wide position make the width across the wheels wider than the bucket?

I'm reading filling 23x10.5-12 tires adds about 75 pounds per wheel. Starter wheel weight is 72 lb and double notch cast iron is another 50 lbs. Let's call that 200 lbs per wheel. Plus my weight adds about 630 lbs to rear of tractor. A good start but not enough.

#27 ·
You should be a little narrower than your bucket. Keep in mind, when you turn you'll drive on snow with inside rear tire.
You'd need a 6 or 7 ft wide bucket to clear enough to turn. Its geometry thing, lol. I dont think I had that class.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis
#28 ·
Fixing slow leak in right front tire. PO installed new tires but did not replace valve stems. Leak is around the valve stem. Tire is removed from rim and is being painted. Will install inner tube.

May swap the tires (V61's on 1"SAE rims) from the 1985 318 onto the 332 but need to confirm 332 has SAE spindles. I do not think it does.

#29 · (Edited)
Here are the SN boundaries on the metric versus inch spindles by tractor model:

As you suspected, All 322 and 332 tractors are metric spindles.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.