Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! My 430 has been leaking fuel out of the tank. I think I need to replace the gasket that is underneath the fuel line pickup plate (I’m not sure the technical name :p). Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? Thanks!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Edit: I think number 14 needs replaced
Human body Font Line Slope Parallel

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello Sherman,
sorry, I can’t help you with detailed information on your 430.
But I would buy a new OEM gasket. It’s hard to find a proper material that's fuel resistant for a long period of time.
Once I had replicated a tank cover gasket with different kinds of rubber plates and no rubber could resist the gas properly. They all shrank.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Sherman,
sorry, I can’t help you with detailed information on your 430.
But I would buy a new OEM gasket. It’s hard to find a proper material that's fuel resistant for a long period of time.
Once I had replicated a tank cover gasket with different kinds of rubber plates and no rubber could resist the gas properly. They all shrank.
Thanks for the reply Stefan, I did just that. Bought it off eBay new for ~$7, and just arrived in the mail today. Gonna have to start tearing it apart. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes

Reactions: Stefan

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It depends on your serial number as to what style of tank and thus the pickups, tubes, grommets, seals, etc are used. If you can give the serial number of the 430, then we can verify the correct style. However a pic of the top of the tank will also help.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on your serial number as to what style of tank and thus the pickups, tubes, grommets, seals, etc are used. If you can give the serial number of the 430, then we can verify the correct style. However a pic of the top of the tank will also help.
I think it’s the early version. Here’s the serial number
Motor vehicle Font Gas Vehicle door Rectangle

I’ve been under there before. It’s definitely the version that the schematic up above shows

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that is the correct tank and fuel pickup unit. So besides the seal, the fuel line hoses should be checked for age, cracking, dry rot. I have the later version and need to work on my leaking grommets.
Yep. And this gives me a good excuse to check out the pickups

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: So I replaced the seal, and actually went and looked at the pickup screen (it was bad! Good think I checked it out. Got it sorted out👍), but it’s still leaking underneath the pickup! What else can be done? Could I put some kind of gasket sealer around it? Or maybe an oversized gasket? The gasket I got is an JD part

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s a picture
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Cookware and bakeware Automotive lighting

This is what it looks like after the new gasket

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it leaking around the low fuel sender wires, where it passes through the bulkhead? If it is maybe some epoxy glue to seal it off?????
I checked, and it is not👍

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My suggestion would be to coat the o-ring/gasket with silicone grease or similar and reinstall .
Exactly what I’m gonna do. I just bought some permatex #2 (I heard it’s good for this kinda thing). It’s coming on Wednesday, so the project it on hold for now. Though, it’s not all a loss today, as I found that the low fuel sensor wire was broken off. So I spliced it together, and now the light works!

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the permatex today. Might get it on today

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Got it applied. I saw that Permatex #2 is operational in about 4 hours, and fully cured in about 24. Here’s a pic (the permatex is green, so it’s kinda hard to see)
Motor vehicle Gas Nut Auto part Machine

Edit: bled the system, for good measure. And that made the tank slosh around a good bit. No leaks! I’ll drive it around tomorrow, and see if it’ll leak. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put the seat pan on, and did some mowing. No leaks!! It’s all dry. Looks like the permatex did the trick. What I think happened is that the brass fittings set in the tank for the bolts are slightly raised higher from age than the gasket, and so it just leaked through. I went on some of the steepest parts that I mow, and it’s good! Thanks everyone for their advice
Rectangle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Tints and shades

Here it is after mowing. Don’t worry about the wet looking patch near the bottom. It’s old diesel that I didn’t wipe up.
Green Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tractor

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent 👍 . How is that muffler supported ? Is there bracing on the horizontal pipe ? I am asking because I want to do similar on my 430 .
Here’s a thread I made last year on the whole muffler ordeal :430 Muffler
But I’ll give you the run down here. I cut two holes into a piece of steel, used the og muffler clamp to support/hold the pipe, and bolted said piece of metal to the front engine mount (the one that also connects to the flywheel cover). I’ve got pics of it in the thread👍

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the gasket just an oring?
You should pick up one of those oring assortment kits.
Yep. Its just an o-ring. I got the OEM John Deere one. But I don’t think the o ring was tall enough to make up for the raised brass threads. Id like to get one of those o ring kits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts