Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Hello,
how do you know that the carburetor setup is OK? Can you adjust the idle and main jet flow?
Did you check the compression?

Registered
I bought a Simplicity a few years ago, it was hard to start. The PO replaced the coil, starter and the carb. I pulled the head off and some horses A had set the valve clearance, the exhaust valve was not closing and was burnt. Replace the exhaust valve now it starts

Registered
Well there are 4 things needed for a gasoline internal combustion engine to run:
1. Spark delivered at the right time (points set correctly)
2. Air
3. Fuel
4. Compression
You seem to have the first 3 verified, but have you done a compression test? As mentioned above, incorrectly set valves will greatly affect how an engine runs. So will worn or broken rings. or a leaking head gasket, a warped head, a loose head. if compression is too low, your engine won't want to run.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there are 4 things needed for a gasoline internal combustion engine to run:
1. Spark delivered at the right time (points set correctly)
2. Air
3. Fuel
4. Compression
You seem to have the first 3 verified, but have you done a compression test? As mentioned above, incorrectly set valves will greatly affect how an engine runs. So will worn or broken rings. or a leaking head gasket, a warped head, a loose head. if compression is too low, your engine won't want to run.
I ordered a compression tester, but if you put a bit of gas in the spark plug hole and turn it over, it looks like Old Faithful and it鈥檚 hard to rollover by hand. Thank you pulley on hydraulic pump

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I took both Chinese carburetorscans threw them in a box. Soaked my old Kohler carb, rebuilt it, tunes it per the manual and reinstalled it. She fired right up and runs like new. Anyone else have bad luck with new carburetors?

Registered
From what I've been told by a guy that's fixed a few of those Chinese carbs, is the jet size and the other small holes arent the correct size. He can usually fix a jet that's to small, but to big, throw out, try again.

Registered
So, I took both Chinese carburetorscans threw them in a box. Soaked my old Kohler carb, rebuilt it, tunes it per the manual and reinstalled it. She fired right up and runs like new. Anyone else have bad luck with new carburetors?
I remember running into a problem with one on a k241. Linkage issue as I recall. Took the best of the two and made one good one. Still $15 well spent.

Registered
From what I've been told by a guy that's fixed a few of those Chinese carbs, is the jet size and the other small holes arent the correct size. He can usually fix a jet that's to small, but to big, throw out, try again.
Anyone ever have one of these guys work on your stuff? I have, that is why I try to poke at it on my own.
"Yep, I done drilled out them there jet holes 3 times and they are still too big". (scratching head as he spits)

Tomlepage, glad to hear you got 'er fixed up and running okay! Good on you for using logic and not giving up. You say you are book smart, well I think your book knowledge led you to your solution! Good job!!!

Registered
Anyone ever have one of these guys work on your stuff? I have, that is why I try to poke at it on my own.
"Yep, I done drilled out them there jet holes 3 times and they are still too big". (scratching head as he spits)

Tomlepage, glad to hear you got 'er fixed up and running okay! Good on you for using logic and not giving up. You say you are book smart, well I think your book knowledge led you to your solution! Good job!!!
Yea, makes me nervous anytime someone says they drilled the jets. Jets are broached.

Registered
1976 JD 214H
Late to the party, but as soon as you said Chinese carburetor, my first thought was get rid of it and put an original rebuilt carb on it. I have a 1976 214H and I keep an additional rebuilt original carb on the shelf as a backup plus a few rebuild kits and new needle and seats. Also you need to reverse your hydraulic lift lever linkage so it points toward you when you are operating the tractor. It should not be pointed toward the front of the tractor. Glad you found your problem.

James

Registered
I鈥檓 2 for 4 on Chinese carbs. Two worked great right out of the box. The other two I really struggled getting them to run decently. But for $20-25 shipped, they鈥檙e worth a dare.

Registered
Yes. They are trash. I have purchased a few of them for these engines. In order to use them do the following. I dont mean think about it. Do exthis and they will work;
Weld the throttle shaft to the throttle lever
Replace the needle and seat.
Replace the float with genuine kohler.
Remove the fuel inlet hose barb and seal with pipe tape.
Adjust float per factory setting.
Install and adjust the idle and load screws.
Start engine , warm up and adjust idle screw , load screw and the slow idle speed. Adjust the full throttle ( high idle/fast idle) engine speed if you question it.
You must do each of these. These are real world functions you must do. No short cuts. I have a lot of experience with these engines and have done this a number of times.
Obviously.....if you have a bad set of ignition points, burned exhaust valve, bad fuel pump etc, a new carburetor will not help.

Registered
Like most things from over there, they are backwards engineered garbage made with whatever dirt cheap materials are at hand. Same with food products...major league Caveat Emptor there.
I put one on my 116. It starts and runs great now.

Premium Member
I've never had "good" luck with any of that crap.

Premium Member
1 - 20 of 24 Posts