Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Jake, my mistake. The landscape rake is 60" (5 ft). X485 handled it without issue except with mower deck installed 3ph and rake actuated simultaneously. I think the 420 should handle the rake ok with enough front end counterweight. The blade is heavier so that could be an issue. May require hydraulic top link to adjust cutting edge angle so as not to overpower the tractor. This is a build as I go project. Things are not cast in stone and could change.

I do have a 54" front blade but it is 318 quick hitch mounting style. No plans for now to use front blade on tractor. It will sit in new shed this winter.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Today I cleaned inside and outside of fuel tank. Photos show what was rattling around inside of tank. The std pick up was completely plugged (I could not blow air through it) and the reserve was restricted but could get air to pass. I ordered replacement for both as well as new cap/gauge. The white ring in the photo I think came out of one of our new plastic safety gas cans.

DSCN1108.JPG DSCN1109.JPG

Removed the belly guard. I thought the area under the fuel tank was a mess. There was a good 2-3 inches of oil soak grass clipping and crud. This is why we are supposed to remove and clean this area annually. Guard has been scrubbed with soap and water. It is deformed from age; sags between bolts. I think I will take heat gun to it and then stack bricks on the bolt flange to see if I can flatten it. If that does not work I will get some flat stock to use as a backing strip.

DSCN1111.JPG DSCN1112.JPG

Cleaned the left side transmission bypass valve that was sticking. Was not sticking bad. Clean up was simply tapping the button to depress and let spring push it back up. Rotate about 1/4 turn and repeat tapping the button. Rotate/tap 5 or 6 times and it no longer sticks. Did same to right side just to clean it up also.

Waiting for fuel tank parts so I tore the left rear wheel apart to inspect. Shoes are ok, springs are all in good condition and start wheel turns, So I got out the die grinder with wire brush and cleaned up rusty parts (prep for spray paint). Hopefully tomorrow I can get this side back together and right side tore apart. I am not removing axle housings from differential. No leakage found so I see no need to remove the hsg.

DSCN1113.JPG DSCN1114.JPG DSCN1115.JPG

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I would go with the flat stock as a backer Gabby. I tried to straighten my belly oan on my 420 with no success. Now I have strap steel down both sides clamping the pan in place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gabby I don't think that's the correct spring across the brake shoes and its in the wrong location. This pic is from my 332.
C4D95984-4A58-4750-BD28-8012E7841E3B.jpeg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I did not like the looks of that spring when I tore it apart. Spring tension felt weak. Probably one of the reasons the brakes feel "mushy".

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Monday I got the left brake assembly cleaned up, repainted and reassembled. Also had the fuel tank parts from dealer so I assembled the tank pickups; tank is ready to reinstall after the frame is cleaned.

This tractor is a real mess. Outside looks good after it is cleaned up but inside the frames and the underside are atrocious. Everything is coated with a layer of oily crud or packed with oil soaked grass clippings. Haven't figured out the best way to clean it short of complete tear down. I do not like taking high pressure wash to some areas but afraid I am going to have to do it and something will get wet that isn;t supposed to. Will need electrical help if/when that happens.

Dark when I finished up. took some photos and then left camera in the garage. Will post some photos in next post.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Restoration is being done outside on driveway. We have had about 1 1/4 inches of rain this morning so can't work at property or outside on tractor. Cleaning up garage and have some parts that need paint so working on those items. Here is the what got accomplished Monday.

DSCN1121.JPG DSCN1124.JPG DSCN1125.JPG

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Working on tractor outside and hasn't stopped raining yet this week so removing parts and taking them inside to clean up and paint.
  • Left side wheel rim is steel wooled and sprayed with Rust Reformer. Often this turns the rusted areas black as shown in photo.
  • Have removed rockshaft to clean up. If I had a 3ph now would be the time to install. Instead will clean up removed parts and will reinstall.
  • Need to remove rockshaft cylinder for clean up and paint.
  • After cylinder is removed the read of the tractor is ready for power washing. Will need to remove batter/tray again to clean up tower area. Will probably remove tower sides to power wash frame area. Will not power wash electrical components but will take garden hose to this area.
  • When this area has been cleaned I will replace fuel lines and transaxle fill hose.
  • Then drain and replace hydraulic filter/fluid.
  • When this is done I should be able to put fuel in tank and start her up.
DSCN1126.JPG

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Left side brake is reassembled but I need to
  • remove drum again and clean up the key/slot so it slides together without binding.
  • The shoes need to be adjusted
  • as well brake lever to adjust when brake engages on pedal.
  • axle nut needs to be torqued and washer bent to lock nut in place
  • lug nuts need to be torqued
  • Wheel needs to be taken off again to do more cleanup and painting
DSCN1134.JPG

Removed drawbar for cleanup and paint
Tore right side brake apairt.
  • With transaxle in neutral brake was noisy when wheel was spun. Something is broke.
  • Need to clean up key and slot like other side. Was difficult to remove drum.
  • The spring between the shoes had tangs broke off both ends.
  • Found other spring parts that appear to be from springs which hold the shoes to the backing plate. Got to dark; could not confirm if those springs also need replacement.
DSCN1132.JPG DSCN1133.JPG DSCN1135.JPG

Sun came out today so heading for rural property to work tomorrow. DirrecTV appointment Tuesday. Tuesday will be work at home day.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Had to go back out after supper to clean up tools. Picked up 4 pieces of spring material; all from M84943 brake spring. One tang of spring missing.

Removed shoes from backing plate and the two springs that hold shoes to plate are in good reusable condition. When I ordered spring for left side I ordered two springs so I already have needed part.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Extremely wet at rural property so came home and did some more teardown on the 420. Photos taken before dark. Both console side covers are removed and tomorrow I want to get the harness area and inside of frame washed. Then I want to get new fuel lines installed. Hoping by end of week the rear of tractor is complete and have it running.

White specks on tractor is ash. Neighbor burned his brush pile early evening. Has been blown off with air compressor.

DSCN1136.JPG DSCN1139.JPG

41 - 51 of 51 Posts