Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Bob, I'm pretty sure but need to confirm Deere spray paint cans say 15 minutes between coats. I know if I wait to long the top coat gets "fisheyes". I do not have issues with wrinkling.

The key is thin coats. I have a tendency to make coats to heavy. I really should apply 3/4 coats but thinner coats.

These wheels after I sprayed on Rust Reformer looked black. That is primary reason for primer and heavy coats.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Gabby, I've got a can of JD TY25641...but it may be a few years old and formulation may have changed (???) Directions say "Recommended recoat-before 30 minutes or after 36 hours of last coat."

I had wrinkle issues when I painted my 317. I ended up painting some scrap metal pieces at the same time I painted my "real" parts. After a few days (2?) I laid a piece of paper on the scrap, covering maybe 2/3 of it, and sprayed. Sometimes it wrinkled, sometimes it didn't ! If it did, a day or 3 later, I covered 1/3 of the part with paper! EVENTUALLY my parts had several top/finish coats!

Temperature may also be critical at this time of year too. Can states 75ºF. You've done a million parts and I'm just saying what I ran into. Bob

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Most parts are getting spray in garage with in-floor pex tubing heat that I never turn off. I am spraying some black frame parts out side. Those are the ones I need to be concerned with.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Bob, my Deere spray paint cans agree with what you posted.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Used my HF bead breaker on the wheel I just painted. 32 year old 26x12-12 Goodyear popped off the bead with no problem. Didn't even scratch the new paint. There was a ... tired of this crap. 5 times already on this post has jumped to the bottom of the page. If I backspace it takes me completely out of the post. This is an issue on MTF also ... Back to where I was. There was a discussion about the worthiness of this bead breaker ... Works great for me. May be a different story on heavier ply tires.

Sanded and painted console screens and drawbar.

DSCN1169.JPG

Reactions: bloodrunsgreen

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I need to finish painting tall chute for you. First coat did not go on well so I had to let it cure good so I can wet sand and finish painting. I have rivets and decal to install when finished. This new forum is a cesspool just like Facebook. I have some projects I need to finish and get closed out and I will probably be leaving WFM. Site no longer has loyalty to members.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There's this site and Mytractor forum which has a more broad scope of tractor brands. I don't know of any other Message boards that are for the old school John Deere Garden Tractors.
and then there's the alot of FB groups. for John Deere but the problem with FB groups is you can't due a search for information like you can on message boards and read threw the thread to learn as you go.

also to follow along from start to finish on people projects as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
There's this site and Mytractor forum which has a more broad scope of tractor brands. I don't know of any other Message boards that are for the old school John Deere Garden Tractors.
and then there's the alot of FB groups. for John Deere but the problem with FB groups is you can't due a search for information like you can on message boards and read threw the thread to learn as you go.

also to follow along from start to finish on people projects as well.

There is another really nice site for older John Deere garden tractors called JDFanatics. I actually like the layout better than this new WFM, The only issue is there are not many members posting on it yet.

Reactions: sublime68charger

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I will check it (JDFanatics) out.

Going Deere hunting tomorrow. It will be Sunday before I can get back on this project.

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Down payment is holding the tractor for me. Just have to pay remainder tomorrow and haul it home. Will post pictures tomorrow/Sunday. Here is a teaser.

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Matt, this is what I am going to pick up. My previous 332 is down in Indiana somewhere now.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Will be leaving shortly. About 6 - 6 1/2 hours on the road today. Would like to be home by dark. Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Very nice tractor your getting, Gabby.
The fel looks really nicely made.
Hopefully your unloaded at home by now, admiring it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Home with the tractor. Another photo over in Deere Hunting thread. Will add more photos and questions tomorrow when it is daylight. ... Who's been Deere hunting ... Gabby

61 - 80 of 85 Posts