I installed the inner tube 5-6 days ago and the next day the tire was flat again. Tore it apart this morning and found hole in new tube, Felt around inside of tire and found a piece of wire thru the tire; caused puncture in tube. Patched tube and tire, reassembled, and aired up the tire. Immediately went flat again. After some well chosen words tore it apart again. Ironic new puncture same distance from valve stem but along the inside side wall. Patched tube again but could not find anything in tire to cause puncture so blamed myself for pinching the tube. I don't ever remember doing that before. That is advantage of being old. Blame it on memory. Reassembled and aired it up again. Stayed inflated.
Moved on to the brakes. Painted some more adjustment parts.
Funeral tomorrow morning but hoping to get the brakes finished and possibly get new fuel lines installed.
This afternoon adjusted the brake shoes, installed right rear tire I just repaired and removed brake pedals to be cleaned up and painted. Haven't finished up left wheel installation yet as I need to leave the wheel off so I can remove and repaint the rock shaft cylinder. Heading back out to the garage here shortly to do some night in garage work.
Brake pedals were removed and have been painted. Tomorrow they should be dry and can be reinstalled. Right side of frame is pretty much complete except engine area. Not sure if I am going to do anything with the engine this year. Tractor will be half a job for this year unless I get it to Potosi (rural property site) so I can continue project this winter.
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!