Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,

I just purchased a 1986 JD318 with 750 hrs on it. The tractor came with a set of cast iron wheel weights and a 49" blower in good condition except for the gears in the box need replacing. $600 for the setup. Serial number: 602778

It needs a tune up and fluid change, steering cylinder replacement (or rebuild), new rear lights, and new throttle cable and level. As of now, everything else seems good. Paint job for now is planned to be professionally done by a friend of mine, but that is not set in stone yet.

The 46" deck appears to be fine and the bearings are quiet. The center spinal has a little play but the outside spinals are fine. This deck is setup already for a power flow I already have. This 318 will be my dedicated mower.

The 49" blower is in good physical condition with no rot or rust and good paint. The Gears on the box need to be replaced, one has cracked and caused damage to the other. The 30T gear is the broken one and I found a replacement for about $85 (older style) and the 20T gear is in tact but may have some tooth damage. That one I can not find yet. This is an older 49 blower, has the original set/style gears, I know the newer 49s have different part numbers for the set of gears. From what I read, the newer gears have a different pitch/cut and need to be replaced together. The old and new style gears don't mesh.

So if anyone has these extra parts, let me know: (I will post this in the wanted section as well)

Carb rebuild kit (possibly):NLA from JD
rear light assemblies including the black plastic piece: Retainer (M84978), Bezel (M84896), tail light (AM105057)
Steering cylinder: AM39310 or AM108777 (newer)
Throttle cable and lever/linkage at the console: AM100037
Decals for a 318
Gears for the 49 blower or gear box with gears ( i read the 33 tiller gear box is the same, so if someone is parting that out, I might take it)
New Gears: AM38849...M93730,M93731 these are the 20T and 30T gears
Old Gears: M42508, M42509

Pictures will be posted shortly

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I have taken the 318 paneling off and power washed it. Found lots of acorns and dirt on everything. Now it is clean and in my garage ready for the tune up first. I want to make sure this thing will purr like a kitten before I put money into other parts needed.

I will be selling the blower (once fixed) and weights ( most likely) to recover some money.

The steering cylinder is leaking at the piston. A local hydraulic shop said they might be able to fix it. Not sure if anyone here has tried it before. Or I will find a replacement.

I would like to find a cheap donor 318 from which I can salvage what I need and sell the rest cheap.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Erik, Steering cylinder, and other welded cylinders, are repairable. Grind/machine weld at PISTON end and NOT ROD end, replace seals & packings, and reweld. Bob

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob, I will bring it to my local guy once I get the engine tuned up nicely. Have you rebuilt one yourself?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Nope, never rebuilt one myself, only read threads of others doing it. Bob

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like I will be following these threads to rebuild my cylinder. I might try it myself before getting help from the local shop. I might use them to source the seals or I will use the company mentioned.

https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/10180-318-322-330-332-Power-Steering-Cylinder-Rebuild/page3

https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/117033-318-Steering-Cylinder-Re-Seal-How/page4

[url]https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/power-steering-cylinder-re-seal.733809/

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Erik, I don't know if you're familiar with hydraulic's work but cleanliness is of the utmost importance. Before any reassembly, wash parts thoroughly. Check rod and pistons for burrs and remove...wash again! After assembling, tack weld first, then weld all around. Push piston to opposite end of tube so welding doesn't burn new seals! You can also fill tube with oil or water or place in bucket of water before welding. Bob

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Erik. I rebuilt a model 49 with a bad gearbox. From my recollection the difference in height of the gears make them not interchangeable. My memory however is not a good as it used to be. Which gears do you need, early or late model. I may have one but again need to go through inventory to find it.

Also good luck with the tractor rebuild.

Gabby

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct Gabby, the old and new style gears are not interchangeable. I have the old style currently. I know the 30T gear is broken and found a source online for about $78. However i can not find the old style 20T.

If i need both gears, i will need to purchase the new style, unless of course someone can sourse an older style.
New style gears are more expensive.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. Let me know if you have that gear and possibly other parts. Maybe i can pick them all up from you.

I have found a source for lights on ebay thank you Ken.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have a new 30T gear but do not know if new or old. Don't want to sell you a gear that is not correct. Also have one of the shafts with bearing.

I have a pair of tail lights with black mounting bezel. I need one light for my 420 but bezel and mounting bracket available. The lights were available from dealer for less than $10.

Haven't found throttle cable yet.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Erik,
  • Throttle cable is new, need you to provide me length of your cable ... $64.00 new ... $35.00? Does not include knob.
  • Tail lights are complete ... bezel, light, mounting bracket & mount nuts. One light is darker than second. No harness/bulb ... $60 for the pair as shown in photo
  • 30T drive tooth ... hard to see in photo but height measures about 0.600" ... M93731 is $160 Deere cost ... not sure if that is the part I have. What is the measurement of your gear?
  • I will split shipping cost
  • I do trade for parts I am in need of. Got anything to trade?
Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gabby,

There are two lengths for the 318 throttle cable: 21 and 29 inches. I need the 29 inch cable.

I have not disassembled the blower gear box yet to measure the depth of the ones I have. Once I do that, I can compare that with your image above.

I may have some parts to trade, need to look around.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Erik, cable I have measures 29 inches.

Thought I saw you found tail lights which is good. I am going to use the tail lights I have on my 318.

Gabby

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update,

Going to attempt the steering piston myself.

Also i picked up everthing i need to tune up this p218, just waiting for my new ultrasonic cleaner to clean that carb well.

It should be tuned up in a week or so. Once it is running properly, i will then invest time and money restoring its appearance.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, the ultrasonic cleaner arrived and i want to remove the carb for cleaning. Looks like its bolted on from the underside, is that correct? How do you get it off? Do i need to unbolt the intake manifold first? Thanks guys.

P218.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts