Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking an original Shindengen Ignition Delay module (IDM) on a 1998 425 that utilizes a fuel shutoff solenoid at the carb to ensure proper operation.

Should the Yellow/White wire from the IDM that goes to the Left and Right Ignition coil be hot when the ignition is turned off?

The red lead coming into the IDM from the starter motor is obviously always hot regardless of ignition position.

With the ignition off, the yellow wire from the PTO switch the leads into both the IDM and the carb fuel shutoff solenoid will not have any current nor will the orange wire from the IDM that goes to the Ignition Module.

With ignition turned on, the yellow wire from the PTO switch leading to both the IDM and the carb fuel shutoff solenoid, as well as both the orange leading to the ignition module and the Yellow/White leading to the the ignition coils all have current.

Tractor randomly dies starving for fuel. I have a vented gas cap that isn’t plugged. Pulled the fuel line at carb and pump is working fine. Tractor immediately fires up and runs for a few seconds if I dump a little gas down the carb throat. I suspect either the IDM or the carb fuel shutoff solenoid. After the tractor sits for 20 minutes it fires right up and runs like a champ till the next episode which is getting more frequent of late. The carb fuel shutoff solenoid sure is pricey from JD so thought I would make sure the IDM is working correctly first.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Not familiar with the 425, but from schematic, the IDM is out of the picture as far as the fuel solenoid. If you have 12 volts on wire to fuel solenoid, remove fuel solenoid and re-attach wire. Turn key to "Run" and plunger on fuel solenoid should pull in. You may have to wiggle plunger a little. If plunger never pulls in fuel solenoid is bad. If plunger pulls in, problem is else where! Bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thks Bob! The fuel solenoid test would be perfect if it was a constant condition but the fuel starving condition is random and only happens when the tractor is good and hot. Since it starts again immediately when I drip a little gas down the carb throat, the line from the PTO switch which feeds the IDM must still be hot, otherwise the Ignition Module downstream wouldn't work and the engine would not start. Naturally it only runs for seconds until it is out of gas again. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new fuel shutoff solenoid and swap it out since it is sporadic.

Anyone find a good quality aftermarket replacement solenoid? Deere's MIU11222 is very pricey.

The IDM question came from looking at the Test/check point section in the tech manual for the ignition delay module and comparing it with my unit. With the ignition off it just shows the normal condition is Max 0.1 resistance. It does not specify if any wires should have battery current so I was not expecting any, but found my Yellow/White wire from the IDM is hot with the ignition off so not sure if that is normal or another issue.

So if anyone with a 425 could check if the Yellow/White wire from the IDM has battery current when the ignition switch is off I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Another test for the solenoid might be to pull it off, find a washer with a diameter slightly larger than the outside diameter of the solenoid threads and reinstall with the washer. This will stop the solenoid from shutting off the gas but if is doesn't stall you've found the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thks Vbosh! Since the condition is so sporadic, I am going to wait for it to happen again and then immediately unplug the solenoid connection wire and do a temp hot wire to the solenoid. I should be able to hear the solenoid click if its working properly. If no solenoid click, I will add the extra washer temporarily to keep the tractor functional and order a new solenoid. Thks for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sailon, did you end up figuring out the problem? i've had this happen to me twice this summer, the second one just an hour or so ago. i'm going to go back out and see if it fires up after sitting but i'm thinking this is my problem as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did. I ended up buying a new Timing Delay Module - AM128906 off Ebay (approx $12) and a new carb solenoid (21188-2014) and a new gasket (11060-2073) from Weingartz (approx $86). Problem solved. If you TDM is working properly the engine should run for a couple seconds after you turn the key off. If that is working you likely only need the solenoid. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts