Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine called yesterday inquiring about where he might find a good used coil or complete clutch assembly for his 212. I haven't seen it yet, but he is pretty knowledgeable about knowing the coil is bad. The local dealer priced the coil, AM38810, at $576.98 +, if they can get it! The complete clutch, AM38404, is apparently NLA from Deere.

I found a complete clutch on the XTREEM brand website for $400. It is listed as a replacement for JD# AM38404 or Ogura #MA-GT-JD3. No replacement coil was listed.

This has been a problem for years for late model 200 series tractor owners, so I did a search here for the possibility that someone had found a replacement clutch at a reasonable cost. My old eyes got tired of looking through the archives, so thought I would just post the question again. Anyone find a workable substitute, even if it didn't have the extra outboard pulley? Besides e-bay and a "Wanted" ad here, can anyone recommend reliable sources for new or used clutch? Any leads appreciated.

BTW, my pal bought this tractor new and has kept it nice. It is just used for finishing up after the Z-turn does the "safe" areas. He asked the question, "should I put $600 in a $400 tractor"? I think he will because it is his wife's favorite mower.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well it's a done deal if its the wife's favorite...can't help with a source though, sorry. I've got a couple of links to used JD tractor yards on my other computer, which I can't get to right now...both are up in Indiana, Illinois or Iowa, one of the I states, but I can't remember which. I'll post back with those links in the morning...might be just the ticket and close by, depending on where you are.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Okay, here you go...also sent you these in a PM. Not an endorsement, just trying to lend a hand cause I have a soft spot in my heart for the 200-series JD garden tractors.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, tmac. Replied to your PM before I had time to check the forum. Busy day for me today. Everything I needed to use today needed some kind of fixin' first. Time to rest and get back to WFM.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a clutch from a 214. I'm not sure of the condition of it but send me one of them private messages and IL get it shipped out to you tomorrow. Just need an address. Again I'm not sure if it's any good but I give it to you to try

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To finish off this thread I want to thank Kevin C for such a generous offer. Received the clutch, checked out good, cleaned it up a bit, and called my pal to come get it and try it. It works great! Larry and his wife want to thank Kevin also for the irresistible transaction. All he asked for was that it got a good home. WFM'ers are a great bunch of people, especially that one!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Once again I would like to suggest those in need of PTO clutches take a look at the Ox clutch line usually sold on EBay. They have hundreds of models but basically the only thing you need to know is shaft size. The catch is that these are the type of clutches currently used on newer mowers and rather than mounting in the engine case they simply mount on the crankshaft. They need an anti-rotation pin mounted in whatever manner is possible or convenient. The pin is basically a 3/8" bolt that sets into a slot of the clutch. The best part is they are reasonably priced. I installed one on my 317 with a Command 18 conversion and I'm very happy with it. And it cost $139 bucks. A great price for a brand new PTO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi, This is Mark. I'm Experts to help you in the choice of your tractor Brands and all Things About tractor.

I've been searching the forums and have found mentions of folks putting electric PTO clutches on their d200 or 18 Automatic but cannot find part numbers of which aftermarket electric clutches work...can anyone tell me? I've got a D200 and 18 Automatic...both have the same manual PTO clutch setup, and I'm sick of dealing with broken hooks, adjustments, etc.
Never heard of a D200...
Wheel Horse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts