Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this with a small metal gas tank off of an old push mower or something similar? If you have please share your experience and PICTURES! I am going to attempt this on my 214 with the reserve tank mounted above the engine. Because there is no outlet on the bottom of the tank I have, and I don't feel comfortable trying to put one in, I may try and run this out the top and through the fuel pump. I will try and make this a good, detailed build thread with as many pictures as I remember to take. The idea came to me as I ran out of gas today (thankfully right in front of my shed) and looked up and saw the old 5hp Briggs parts engine sitting waiting for the scrap yard. This should be interesting and I hope you all share your thoughts on ways I could do this better. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Ryan I have had my 214 since 1984. To solve that kind of problem I check the oil and fill the tank before I leave the garage. I still haven't run out of gas with it. Roger

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually at least check it before I do anything. But my problem is having to mow for 5 hours and I usually forget to stop and check after an hour or two. That and along with sometimes mowing down at the neighbor's is my reasoning for wanting a reserve tank.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Here is my auxiliary fuel tank mounted on my 1974 112 (before final touches were done):

Side view:

The hood can be opened with it in place:

and the unit will swivel a short distance to allow for installation/removal of front weights:

The fuel line has it's own filter and shut-off valve and connects to a "tee" in the line between the main tank and fuel pump using an air hose quick-connect fitting. You can run the engine with either tank, or both at the same time.

CAUTION: Do NOT park the tractor with BOTH lines open, the fuel will siphon from the main tank into the auxiliary tank, and overflow through the vent in the gas tank. (Ask me how I know).

This was designed and fabricated through the genius of Kevin Bohlayer.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KB- I have thought about it but I like the idea of having the tank where it cannot be damaged if I were to back into something. I have a small area with trees that I end up in close quarters with when trying to turn around, and I don't want to break open the tank and have gas pouring all over. I will also be looking to build some quick-tach type carriers for the front or back when I am working in the garden or doing other lawn projects.

Don- Your auxiliary tank looks great and looks very solid. But again, I'm not sure I would like the little bit of added length, even though it isn't much. I mostly just want everything to be hidden. But I think I will definitely use your same setup with a tee before the pump. That way I can just run the hose out of the top without worrying about a hole I drilled in the bottom leaking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd be a little nervous about putting a gas tank directly over the engine. There's not a lot of room and that's a pretty hot area. If it leaked or even just expanded from the heat and overflows, it could cause a fire.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I'd be a little nervous about putting a gas tank directly over the engine. There's not a lot of room and that's a pretty hot area. If it leaked or even just expanded from the heat and overflows, it could cause a fire.
The old RF & SF 110/112s had them right next to the engine. Never heard about any issues from them. I just wait about 15 minutes or so to let engine cool down before I fill mine up.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Ryan, I think you are imagining a bigger can them I am. The cute little ones at the gas station by my house could fit in a box that only sticks out as far as the hitch plate. It would be more then enough to get you home for a full refill. I used to just put my can in my cart and took it yard to yard with a push mower, weed wacker.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
John there were huge safety issues with the early tanks mounted to the battery box. JD still offers a free new battery cover kit to stop some of them. Roger

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Roger,
Thanks for the insight.
Did not realize that's why they offered the battery covers. I love this site, I learn something new all the time.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
On the older tractors like 110-140, the gas tank was very close to the engine, but not on top of it. That does make a difference if there was a leak.

About the battery covers, these tractors are so old that when they were newer, say less than 10 years old, I think some people still had metal gas cans. I can easily imagine someone filling some gas in the tank of a 140, and then setting a metal gas can on top of the battery posts. Not good.

I'm not knocking the older tractors, I like my 140s.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
common sense seems to be missing a lot in this century

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Cliff metal gas cans were the biggest reason for the covers. Kind of like the semi common problem with 345 fires where when the factory fuel pump leaks it dripped gas on the muffler. The new/replacement fuel pumps have a hose that routes the leak spot away from the engine heat/muffler. Unfortunately they didn't give those away for free. Roger

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
too many people used to put their tools on top of the battery, my brother was one of them and it exploded when a wrench shorted it out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts