Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
3781 - 3800 of 3840 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
"the gear box on a 400 60 inch deck is set to work in the opposite direction than the deck off a 420. I think this is because the Kohler engines run opposite to the engines in the 420."

Walt, there must be some kind of wierdness in the decks themselves. The engines turn in the same direction and the blades turn in the same direction. There has to be some difference in how the belt routing is laid out to require that backwards rotation.

I've got a gearbox, email [URL="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected][/URL] and we can dicker about it.

· Banned
38 Posts
Alan, I was just kind of guessing on the engine rotation. I know which way the kohler turns but not the engine in the 420, Onan? I will send you a pic of the gear box I have and you can look at it. I am looking for a gear box, this mower and tractor are new to me and po must have changed gear boxes and never used it to cut grass.

Walt Hoover

· Registered
64 Posts
good afternoon can any one tell me the psi and gpm of a 77' 400 stock hydro sys.i saw info on 318 and 420 but no 400.

why does the jd loader for a 455 only lift 350 is it the pump or cylinder size.has any one modified a 40 loader for a 400

thanks

· Registered
254 Posts
The 400 and 420 pto's rotate the same direction. the difference in the gearbox rotation is because of the belt routing on the decks. the 400 uses multiple idlers while the 420 deck only uses one main idler. if you changed the mounts over on the 420 deck, it would work fine on the 400. the gearbox rotation direction has nothing to do with the pto rotation.

nick

· Banned
47 Posts
Hi Mark,
unfortunately i don't know anything about the keyed shaft as i don't recall seeing anything like that on my 1976 400 but as for the weights on the back for snowblowing....i am using 55 lbs weights in the wheels plus chains and 4 (42 lbs each) cement sidewalk slabs (18" x 18") on my homemade rack on the back and i haven't had any problems yet and if you haven't got any system for adding weights let me know and i'd be more than happy to send you picks and dimensions of my rack...if you already have a welder then the total cost for the rack and the cement slabs and all attaching hardware shouldn't cost you more than $50.

· Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Jr.
Right now I have the 15 moldboard plow on the 3pt and a 4'
Length of railroad track approximately 200 lb total.
I will try to take a photo of that shaft to see if anyone can help.
Thanks Mark.

· Registered
254 Posts
Mark,

It might be possible that someone transplanted a rear end from a simplicity into your 400. from what i remember right, they are identical, except they did have a small stub shaft that came out the side of the case, almost like it was for a belt pulley or something. I saw one once and at first thought it was a 400 rear end. The 400 rear end case does have the same casing, it just doesn't have the hole drilled for any shaft to come out.

nick

· Registered
452 Posts
Hi Nevin,

We just purchased a set not too long ago. If you go to the Gallery tab and search "adjustable" then show all 11 you will find several photos of them. I posted some pics on here of ours but I cannot find them at the moment. Ours were NOS.

Scott

· Registered
405 Posts
just would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Yup we say Merry Christmas. I pray for all those I have read on the forums that need God's touch. And a huge thanks to those that have created the best website in the world to me. Man I dont know what I would do if i could not read the forums in the evening. May all of the friends i have met, and the ones I have yet to meet, have a blessed year and again Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
The Adams Family,,dananana SNAP SNAP

· Registered
4 Posts
Timmermans, I have looked everywhere I can think of and am not able to find the L shaped lock for the adjustable rims. Is their a chance you could post a picture of just the lock along with the dimensions. It would really help me with making one. Thanks Ralph

· Registered
37 Posts
Mark,
On my 400 I am running bar tires, no chains. I have all four wheels filled with Rim Guard, which made each rear wheel weigh 130lbs each and each front wheels weigh 50lbs each. I built my own custom weights for the rear wheels. I used lifting weights that I got from "CL" for free. I added 130lbs to each side. I weighed the tractor with me and the blade on it, and it came in at 1785lbs. I get 2’ drifts across 150’ of driveway and so far have not had any trouble moving through it. Hope this helps. Here are a couple of pictures of what I made up.
David

Ready to plow, but still no snow here.

· Registered
452 Posts
Hi All,
For those that live in Ontario, and near the Bluewater Bridge (between Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan)and want to avoid the brokerage fees at the door, I recommend this service! You set up an account with them (Name, Number and E-mail) and you send your parcels there. As long as it is a reasonable weight and moveable, they will accept it. We have been using them for few years now without a problem. Instead of the brokerage fees you need to pay fuel there, tolls at the bridge ($6.00) and $5.00 per parcel that is shipped there. They will also hold it for 30 days before they charge an additional $5.00. Thought I'd let you know!! It is also usually cheaper in the long run with shipping into the province even with the fees you have to pay.

Here is there card:

3781 - 3800 of 3840 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.