Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
3821 - 3840 of 3840 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys,and Merry Christmas.

My 316 came with a new unused set of car/truck chains that I cut down to fit the JD. The problem was the cross links are spaced so far that the ride was horrible and the hood would pop open and even started to get a hair line crack in it. I was going to add another row of cross links between the original rows but then it hit me, why not zig zag them so the tractor can't fall or bounce. It rides great, I'd say 75% smoother then before but we have not gotten any snow yet so I have not gotten to use them yet. Has anyone tried this before or knows if it will work ok?

·
Administrator
6,351 Posts
Swigin,
I'm attaching your photos here. If you click on the "Upload Attachment" tab below the post block, you can add photos directly to your post. Don't forget to hit "enter" after your text and before each picture.

·
Administrator
6,351 Posts
Yeah, pictures need to be 640 x 480 or smaller and under a 75 kb size limit. If you're using a windows based pc, here is, in my opinion, the best [URL="http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?searchtype=downloads&query=irfanview&tg=dl-2001&search=%2525252BGo%25252521%2525252B" target=_top> photo resizer available[/URL]. Easy to use and does a great job on the picture quality.

(Message edited by treed on December 25, 2010)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi All. I hope everybody got plenty of green and yellow under the tree.

Bob W.- If you have the 3/4" spindles, then any would work although most 110's didn't have the extra strap welded on to make them the heavy duty style (I think that was optional, and recommended if you put a loader on the 110)that 112 & 140's used. Also, early 110's used a lock collar on top to hold it in the axle instead of the E clip, but you can use that style in your axle as long as you get the lock collar with them. 120's also used 3/4" spindles, but I'd have to look in the parts book to see if they were regular duty or the heavy duty style, I'm guessing since it was the "economy" tractor they used the regular duty ones. If memory serves me correct 112 & 140's went to the larger 1" spindles for the 1972 model year and 110's switched in 1973, so you would need something prior to those years if you have the earlier 3/4" spindles.

Kent

·
Banned
7 Posts
Kent, Scott,
Thanks for the response. My tractor is an early 140 (S/N 0006166S) with 3/4" spindles. I have located a set from a 1967 120 where the picture shows the nut on the outside end, the welded renforcement piece, and the E ring on the axle side. From your information I believe these will fit.
Maybe some day I can upgrade to 1" spindles (will I need to change the wheels also?) but right now I need to get-R-fixed and get back to snow blowing.

Thanks

3821 - 3840 of 3840 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.