Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#1,703 ·
Roy, Don and Carl,

It may be possible to convert the metric wheels to inch spindles by the use of what many bearing manufacturers call "inch bore metric bearings" such as the SKU 6205-1 as shown on this site:
http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=446

The metric front wheels that are found on the later 318, the 322 and 332 tractors use Deere bearing part number AM102888, which is 52 mm OD, 25 mm ID and a width of 15 mm. The above 6205-1 has the same OD and width, but a 1 inch ID for the bore size. Don't know if these are also available with flanges, etc...

Chuck

#1,707 ·
I'm giving my JD 400 with Johnson loader and backhoe a good workout. Several years ago I trenched around my garden and buried 2' of treated plywood to keep out the walnut roots and groundhogs. In time the walnut roots found their way under the plywood, so I am now going at least 4' deep and using an 8 mil plastic lining. It would be a whole lot cheaper to just buy vegetables at the farmer's market, but what would be the fun in that?
Harold

#1,709 ·
Got these wheel weights Friday night. The number cast into them is 100232. Will I need starter weights to make these work correctly. I'm pretty sure they are Deere. They weigh 60 lbs. each and had a paper tag on the back 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 that is no longer readable.
Thanks, Jim

I also filled a pair of 23 10.50 12 bar tires with washer solvent. 9 gallons each which added 80 lbs. to each tire.

#1,712 ·
Wanted to say a quick THANK YOU! To everyone here. I bought a 318 in November in part because of the willingness of everybody on this site to help other people solve problems. 840hrs and purrs like a kitten. Got a front blade, hydro tiller, rear weights(plastic), 48" replacement deck, powerflow bagger, large cart, agfab spreader, and tire chains. I replaced the tires with 25" all-trails in the rear and standard v61's up front. The hydro pump for the tiller actually fits under the rear now without a jack. Also bought front wheel weights. She is a work in progress as I still need to adjust or replace the linkage for the hydro but, that is for a weekend when I have time. Here she is getting ready to go over to a friends house to do some work.

#1,713 ·
Michael,

Nice looking 318 and you have one of the most awesome tillers in that 30 hydraulic.

Check the year of your tractor, as there are 4 different versions of the hydro linkage and each has its unique needs for taking the jerkiness and slop out of the hydro linkage. Mine is the latest version (Rev4...) so I am replacing the dampener with the heavy duty one -- just ordered the part today, AM121646. Yours might be different, so check your serial number against the exploded parts drawings in the PC1924.

Chuck

#1,714 ·
FYI
I had a strange voltage problem this am on a 214. When trying to start the tractor, I noticed the starter was slow and the throttle cable was getting hot. I suspected a short between the cable and the solenoid wiring but nothing was shorting to the cable. After a bit of investigation, I found the battery ground cable was connected to the chassis vice the engine. I think the current from the starter returning to the battery was finding a path from the engine through the cable to the chassis then to the battery.

Putting the battery ground onto the engine lift bolt solved the problem and made the starter turn faster. Reminds me of the old ford car grounding problems in the early 60's.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

#1,715 ·
Jim B those are not John Deere weights but they will work just the same. There has been some in the past that were repops but the last I heard those did not have any markings on them. Yours are thicker than the standard weights and more squared off edges. I'm not sure who made those but paint them yellow and stick them on 90% of people won't know the difference.

#1,716 ·
Harold,
Great looking tractor.
That setup has been my long term goal for a few months now. Good thing its long term as I am not having any luck finding either the loader or backhoe.
Is the backhoe a Brantly specific to the 400 ?
What model fel do you have ?
Do they both have their own pumps ?
Thanks Harold, again great looking setup.

#1,717 ·
Dennis Smith,

That's not a unique situation; it's the way they were built. Your 214 has a set of rubber viration-dampening mounts between the engine cradle and the frame. To make the starter work properly, as you found out, you need to have the large ground cable from the negative battery terminal on the engine like you have now. You also need a ground from the negative battery terminal to the frame but you can either use a two-lead battery cable or a separate ground from the engine to the frame.

#1,719 ·
Keith,
Thanks. The loader and backhoe were made by Johnson of Minneapolis--sold out long ago. Look in Model Info, Allied Vendors for some pictures of the more common Johnson loaders for smaller tractors. The 400 loader is a model 27. Both the loader and backhoe run off of a front pump. Good luck finding the equipment some day, and indeed you are more likely to locate the Brantly backhoe.

#1,722 ·
Harold, Johnson did not make backhoes. Yours is a brantley backhoe. Johnson did make the loader, called a Johnson Model 27, Deere sold them under their name and called it a Deere Model 20 for the 400 tractor.

#1,723 ·
I have a JD 140H1. The serial/model number tag on the steering tower was removed and a hole cut so that the bolts holding the steering bracket could be accessed. The tag was then lost. Is there another ID tag somewhere else on the tractor. I'm pretty sure that the tractor is a 1971 patio that was painted over from the factory. There seems to be a lot of white paint under the green. I did get one heck of a good deal on this 140. It would even be a better deal if it is a patio. The mower deck even has white paint under the yellow and on the bottom.
Doc

#1,725 ·
Mike,
Thanks for the info. The fellow I bought the equipment from about 15 years ago said it was made by Johnson. Your comment explains why I could never find any documentation on a Johnson backhoe. This will be very helpful some day when I work over the backhoe.

With regard to the loader, I owned and refurbished a Deere model 20 a few years back. Although I have heard that Johnson made Deere's model 20, there is nothing in common with the Johnson model 27 (the 27 is much heavier). So Johnson must have used Deere's design specs for the 20?
Thanks,
Harold

#1,726 ·
Here is a 400 with Johnson loader and Branly backhoe.

Branly also did make loaders as well.

It is very surprising how many companies made loaders for our garden tractors (Branly, Johnson, Kwik Way, Deere, Danco) a few of which starting right away with the RF110's.

Some other ideas on the 20 vs 27.

http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/335/422369.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.