Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#1,730 ·
I've had it with my Honda 3813. Changing a starter is a whole day affair. Parts getting scarce.
Looking for an old John Deere, perhaps 140, or 300 series. Want a good runner, don't want immediate repair jobs. Any thoughts on what model choices would be good? Include info on parts situation and benefit of long experience into Deere's that I don't have. thanks, all

#1,731 ·
Mike J,

Welcome to the WFM forum! Will you just be mowing with your replacement for the Honda 3813, or do you want other attachment capabilities?

Since your 3813 was a mid-1980's machine with a 13 HP engine and a 38 inch deck, any of the 140 or 300 series tractors will be a bit larger and heavier built. The 318 is perhaps the most representative of what a quality Deere Garden Tractor design provides to the owner...lots of robust capability, hydrostatic drive, dual spool hydraulics and power steering. the most common deck on this tractor is the 46 inch wide cut, but others were available.

The 140 is a very classic tractor and might be a good choice if you can find one in good shape or are willing to do the restore yourself. Neither of these tractors are "cheap" in ready to run condition, but both are excellent values.

Chuck

#1,733 ·

Well I got to use my 420 with my loader for the first time and had a blast!!! I do have questions that I hope you guys can help me with....

First the differential lock....When use is that suppose to stay down and locked all the time as I saw that mine did.I did need it a lot as I was a little lite in the rear moving all that wood and had a lot of hills to deal with.The tires would spin very easy.With the differential lock it worked a lot better......

2nd question.I did find and buy a set of starter weights for her.I got them today.I am hoping this will help if not I still might to have to add hanging weights.I will try the starter weights first.My starter weights are in N.J.but my tractor is 2 hours away in P.A.I need to find out what size bolts and more important length as I am going to need to attach those weights to the rims.Also I am going to need what size bolts for the 50lb weights to attach to the starter weights.The starter weights look like they have thread holes in them.Am I correct as the 50lb weights get attached the threaded hole in the starter weights ?When I bought the 50lb weights,they came with 7" bolts but were too short.The fellow I bought them from had them on a 318.Not sure if those rims are the same but the bolts he sent were short and I need another inch to make up the difference if this helps....Thanks again

(Message edited by aaytay on April 20, 2010)

#1,735 ·
#1,736 ·
Hey Brandon, Mike, and Keith,
Thanks for setting the record straight on my loader and backhoe. Since I have Brantly rather than Johnson equipment, should I ask for my money back? Now it makes sense why my loader was so much different than the Deere model 20. Mike, that is a wealth of information that will be handy some day when there are pump or spool issues, etc. Thanks, again.
Harold

#1,738 ·
John,

It sounds like your diff lock lever (rod) is getting wedged along side the 44 loader subframe and staying engaged. It should release when you take your heal off of it. This seems to be rather common with the 420 and 44 loader subframes, in fact mine does it. I need to get underneath it and bend the rod out a bit so it doesn't catch. you can find several threads on here by searching for it.

if it was me, i'd use more than starter weights. John deere recommended about 500 lbs on the back for counterweight for the 44 loader. the starter weights will only give you about 150 or so. I have rim guard filled tires and my 300 lb box blade on the three point right now. it can still feel lite when lifting a heavy load and moving it.

nick

#1,739 ·
Nick,
Thanks Nick for the heads up.....
I will look at it when I am back up in P.A.

I am still hoping that someone on this site can direct me in getting the right size bolts and length for the starter weights and 50lb weights.I guess I could use 1/2 threaded rod for the starter weights and cut that up there.Than I would just have to figure what size bolts I would need for the 50lb weights to attach to the starter weights....Still a little confuse as the 50lb weights get threw bolted to the rim and starter weights or just get bolted to the starter weights alone???????

#1,740 ·
John, it has been several years since I had the weight stacks off my 400 but, if memory serves meI'm 99% sure I used threaded rod for them. Plan on having to do the first one at least twice to get the length right.

I think I cut mine about a foot long to start. Make sure you clean up the cut ends so nuts will start easily. Run a nut about 1 1/4" on one end then put a washer on, stick that end through a hole in the rim then put a washer and nut on the rod and tighten it up.

Use two bolts or pieces of rod, threaded into the weight on the outer end(you may need a 1/2" x 13 tap to clean out the threaded holes) to use for handles( to save your fingers, these things are pinchers!) Now use the handles to lift(GRUNT!) the starter weight and guide it over the two rods already on the wheels. Put nuts and washers in the ends of the rods and tighten the weight up. Mark the rods so you can cut them to be slightly below flush to the face of the weight. Remove the weight and rods, cut the rods to length and clean up the ends then mount the weights up for real and tighten them to stay.

Can't help on the bolts through the regular weights, you will have to measure them. Best to figure 3/4" or more to thread into the starter, that cast iron is pretty soft and the last thing you want is strip the threads. I almost think I used rod for those too, that way I could put the rods in place and slip the weights over them, less hassle than trying to line up the holes for bolts.

#1,749 ·
Nice find Steve!! Looks to be in good shape as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.