Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#1,829 ·
My 112 with a tecumseh had a points system, so it would have had a condenser as well. The replacement HH100 did have electronic ignition.
I am not sure of the year, it is a square fender, but thought it was built after 1970. Next time I'm home I'll get the numbers but I know the motor that was in it when I bought it had points.

#1,833 ·
Went Deere hunting yesterday drove all the way to Auburn NE to come back with a 92 322 with 944 hours. A 46in deck that has more welds then metal with blades that have never been sharpened in there life. The tractor will need some work Like tail lights a grill yellow seat, The hood has a 4 inch speed hole in it, and the fender decks metal is torn in one place. And the throttle knob the orange piece is missing. But its mine now When I was at the dealership he said there were a bunch of collectors calling him anyone from here?

#1,834 ·
More than you are going to want to know about Tecumseh HH100s in JDs. 1966/67 engines used points. 1968 to 1970 engines used solid states up to serial number 162,xxx and then went back to points for the rest of the year and all of 1971. The OP said he had a 1968 tractor so his original engine didn't have points. JD went back to points because owners kept burning up the solid states by using s battery coil ignition switch with the solid state. It instantly burns up the solid state if you try this and JD and dealers bought a lot of the solid state units for customers because they were given the wrong switch. Even back then they were very expensive to replace (now over ($200). Roger

#1,838 ·
I sold this 1969 Patio 140 H1 to a fine gentleman from Minnesota. He drove 21 hours each way to come get it here in New Jersey. He brought along his Chrysler Sebring convertible to transport it. This was a running tractor with no mower deck when we started. We took the hood, seat, wheels, fuel tank, fenderpan, complete rear/hydro,battery out to fit it in the car . Here are two pics.

#1,841 ·
Well its been a good while since I last posted in this area, but I just wanted to say that I have acquired 2 new (to me) green machines in the last 2 weeks.

Last week I was given a sick '71 model 112. It had a broken rod, and it had knocked a chunk out of the cylinder wall, which I found upon tearing it down to check the extent of the damage. I want to fix this one up as it was originally owned by a relative of my girlfriend, which I did not know until I talked to my service manager.

That's a buddy of mine goofing off on it.

Then, Wednesday of this week I was informed of a later model '73/'74 model 140-H3 that would be "put up for sale" very soon locally. I figured I needed to head it off before it hit Craigslist or Ebay where the "vultures" (lol) could swipe it out from under me. I went and talked with the owner yesterday and he told me he was the 2nd owner and bought it used when it was a year old (1974/75?) from the dealership location I work at (under different ownership at that time). I jumped at it because it had everything I wanted with it: the 3pt hitch, DD-1000 double gang Brinly disc, 3pt. Brinly plow, 3 pt. Brinly cultivator (which I have one of already), a 54 blade that was bought new in '96 or '97, and the original 48" deck. I didn't get that good of a deal on it, but I figured the extra money I paid was worth it not to have to drive 250+ miles where a set up like this is normally found as it was only 15 miles from home in Durham. The guy had stopped using it 10 years ago when he decided not to plant a garden and bought a Craftsman just to mow his yard. It had been kept covered under blankets. It had a new seat put on just before being stored and a starter. I can't wait to go back and pick it up!

#1,842 ·
Maxwell, that 140 looks like quite a find, i would be anxious too. My employer sent me to work at a small fiber board mill in Moncure, N.C. most of last year and they put me up in an extended stay hotel in Cary on Buck Jones Road. Had my pick up down there and scoured craigslist/e-bay for John Deere garden tractor's religiously and never really saw much at all. The ocassional 110 with a blown rod for $1000, and stuff like that. Wished i knew you were close by!

#1,843 ·
Harold-
I know where the mill is at Moncure that you were at (they were on strike around January of last year, odd for around here) and I know where the hotel is you stayed at--both of which are in my service area with the dealership--and Buck Jones is about 15 miles from where I stay for school & work at Fuquay.

Not to gloat--but now you can understand the excitement I had when I saw all of this sitting within 10 feet of each other--not in New York or Maryland or Iowa--not that I'd be opposed to a road trip, but finding the whole deal here at home and the fact that it all was local (relatively speaking) means a lot to me, not to mention that it was sold both as new and as used from the location that I currently work at.

#1,846 ·
joey, i'm doing a 69 140 right now. i think the grill was supposed to be black. i'm not a 100% sure. i got all my decals from a j.d dealer and the foot pads from hapco. make sure you get the right hood decals for that year. serial number 10,001 to 30,000 (i think its 30,000, i'm to lazy to open my book) have a chrome outer pin stripe, the newer ones are a black pin stripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.