Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#2,177 ·
Greetings,

I'm new to the forum. I live in Western NY and I'm in the market for a Deere. I have my sights on a 210 Garden Tractor, but I'm reluctant to buy because it doesn't come with any attachments but a deck. The deck is in good condition. I have questions:
- Are adapters made for me to hook up newer attachments to this tractor?
- Am I going to be handcuffed when it comes to finding a bagger, plow or blower, tiller, etc.
- Does anyone have any of these attachments for sale?

Thank you to those who reply.

#2,178 ·
Andrew, make a post in the 'wanted to buy' section of the classified link, which is located on the main forum page. State what you're looking for and I'll bet someone contacts you with an honest, reliable 200 series tractor and possibly even a few attachments. The tillers, blowers, plows for 200 series are often available in the classified forum too.

#2,180 ·
andrew,
attachments for the 200 series tractors are readily available BUT ... in addition to the purchase/shipping/travel prices to obtain them, you will need accessories to use them. if the 210 has electric or hydraulic lift, you should be very, very happy.

the rest of the info might be discouraging. don't let it be. the machine you're looking at is a quality product with unlimited potential...you just have to spend a few bucks to get it.

. you can buy a 43 dozer blade & install it, but you can't raise it without a front lift kit. adding all that weight up front has just unbalanced the tractor so you'll need equivalent weight in the back for traction. at minimum, anticipate buying rear wheel weights.
. you can buy a 37a snow thrower but again, will need that front lift kit to use it and weight in the back.
. you can buy a plow so you can participate in plow days, but you need an integral hitch & a rear lift kit to use it. ag tires wouldn't hurt either. oops, all that weight is now in the back; you'll need some balance weight up front too.
. you can buy a 31 tiller but can't raise it without a rear lift kit and it won't operate without a mule drive and belt (same deal with balancing weight).

look on this site for some threads that show how the guys use their attachments...you'll see quite a few (even movie clips) of members blowing snow, using a blade to move snow, tilling & plowing. look in the gallery and you'll also see the hobby is addictive and nobody has just one! you live in an area that has several WFM members with similar machines, attachments & parts galore.
DO IT!

#2,181 ·
Hi Andrew,
there are a bunch of us in the area so there are plenty of folks to discuss this with. I'm in Pittsford and there are other folks more knowledgeable about what goes with what in the county. There's also plenty of gear around. I just bought a 48 tiller from Roy Parker over the other end of the state and he delivered it too since he was coming this way.
Go for it - there's always a buyer if you decide to change to a different model.

Cheers,
Neil.

#2,182 ·
Eric, Darrin, Tom

Thanks for the welcome. I am very excited about joining the ranks. I have a feeling this will grow to become a fantastic hobby for me (God bless my saint of a wife). Thank you so much Tom for the tips. Some of the stuff I understood, and some I didn't. I am however an engineer and should have no problem catching on quickly. I am not discouraged because, at minimum, the tractor I'm looking to buy will enable me to mow. The rest will come with some work.

Thanks again!
Andy

#2,184 ·
Hi Andrew and welcome to WFM !!

That 210 is close by correct ??? It looks nice but I would offer less than the asking price for sure. Seems a bit high. There are quite a few attachments that show up around here ( our area ) for this model tractor, so it shouldn't be to hard to get set up.

I am just around the corner from you in Livonia. You'll have to get hooked up with some of us NY boys and go to a plow day with us.

#2,186 ·
Hello WFW members,
Im new here and this site has already helped me out more than a few times. Im a new deere owner, recently purchased a 88 318 that came with mower. I'd like to purchase a front blade and found a listing for a 48" 4 way hydraulic blade on craigslist near me. Is the 48" blade rated for dozer and snow like the 54" blade? I would be using it for both. Keep up the great work and thanks for the help.

#2,188 ·
Well, in my never ending quest to save a few bucks, I think i have totally given up on finding a hydraulic tiller for my 318. So i am thinking i might build one......a lot of you are probably thinking i am crazy, but tell me something i didnt already know...ha ha. I will attach my preliminary models of what i intend to build. I am still in the process of designing the rest of the parts, but since i have access to a full fabrication and machine shop (on saturdays of course when the boss is not around) i am thinking i can do this for about half of the price of a deere tiller. My main question is, is there anywhere to find specs on the original deere hydraulic system as far as pressure, motor displacement, and tine shaft speed?

By the way, i intend to build this at 42" wide to avoid having to fabricate an extension at a later time

#2,189 ·
Levi,

The pump and motor specifications are listed in the 30 hydraulic tiller manual, here is an excerpt.

You may also want to look into adapting a later Deere 42 inch hydraulic tiller to your 318 -- expensive new but I have seen them go for just over $1000 used around here...

The hydraulic tillers are awesome attachments, and very convenient to use with the tractor powered lift and the dash engagement switch. The self-contained hydraulic system with large reservoir provides for adequate cooling for the hard working oil...so be sure to have at least 4 gallons in your design.

If you build your own, start a thread and take plenty of pictures -- many members here will be quite interested!

Chuck

#2,191 ·
Hello all. I have enjoyed WFM for some time now but have never posted. The members on this site are very knowledgeable and helpful and I'm looking for some advice. I have the opportunity to purchase either a 1992 318 with 500 hours and in great shape or a 1988 332 with 1100 hours for the same amount. I am torn as I have owned JD in the past but never a diesel. The 332 is from the original owner - never left outdoors and taken good care of. The 318 is from a person that recently purchased it, painted the deck, wheels and undercarriage and is reselling it.

Thanks for the opinions on this matter.

#2,192 ·
David
I have both and I like them both. The 332 will get twice the fuel economy. The 332 really grunts out the power. The 332 will last twice as long as the 318. I prefer the 332. 1100 hours on a diesel is low and just broke in. They are both at the same point in their life. 1/4 to 1/3.
The 332 is worth twice as much. You will love either one.

#2,194 ·
I've been thinking about putting lugs on my 212. I can get a set of 23-8.50-12"s. The ones on it are 23-9.50-12 so will these work?
Thanks for the input.

Dom

#2,195 ·
David C, i also have both. i bought the diesel because i "always wanted one". well, while the 332 has good grunt, the 318 has more horse power, its a smoother engine, and with yard being on a hillside, they both get about the same fuel milage. i do really enjoy both, i like watching a little smoke when i'm pulling a plow with the 332, and even pushing wet heavy snow. in PA there isn't much value difference between the 2. I love them both, but if i was stuck on an island, and had to choose one, don't tell my 332, but i would be taking my 318. just to be fair though, for a really smooth running unit, i have a 322 and its my all time favorite.

#2,198 ·
Thanks for the input on the 332 vs. 318 purchase. To add a few more details, I would like to, at some point, put a tiller and plow behind either tractor and my yard has two steep inclines. If others would like to chime in on their which they would purchase and why, I'm still gaining knowledge.

#2,201 ·
David,

That is a quandary. If the 318 has that low of hours, it really shouldn't have needed painted if it was treated well. On the other hand, it is a 1992 and has better linkage for the hydro and shouldn't have a creep problem.

The 332 on the other hand, probably creeps, unless it has been fixed. But there are more hours on it. Perhaps 1000 hours is similar to 500 hours on an Onan, but it is still 1000 hours on the rest of the chassis.

For me, I would probably buy the 332, since I don't have one, but I have a 318. But if I was choosing without already having a 318, I would choose the newer 318.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.